DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/jvc-gy-hd-series-camera-systems/)
-   -   Best prime lens for Letus35 on HD100? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/jvc-gy-hd-series-camera-systems/106225-best-prime-lens-letus35-hd100.html)

Steven Houser October 22nd, 2007 02:57 PM

Best prime lens for Letus35 on HD100?

This Letus mounts directly to HD100/
I am getting a Letus again this time for my HD100u..
I will buy nikon or cannon lenses.\
Any suggestions on a good prime lens for the letus?

thx again guys!

Steven Houser October 22nd, 2007 04:12 PM

Im guessing nikon 50mm 1.2

any suggestions?

Jamon Lewis October 23rd, 2007 03:10 AM

I would get Nikon lenses and also get a LOCKING NIKON with your Letus. I wouldn't mess with the interchangeable mount. I have had 2 Letuses with the interchangeable mount and it is a pain getting it flush in the front of the device and has at least one part of your picture out of focus. That 50mm 1.2 would be great.

Liam Hall October 23rd, 2007 03:13 AM

A little more info on what you are shooting would help!

In general, I'd start with a Nikon 50mm f/1:4 AIS and then start adding additional lenses from there. Get a 28mm, a 105mm, a 35mm and an 85mm in that order - buying the fastest lenses you can afford.

Now, if you can tell me what to have for dinner tonight...

David Scattergood October 23rd, 2007 05:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Liam Hall (Post 763175)
A little more info on what you are shooting would help!

In general, I'd start with a Nikon 50mm f/1:4 AIS and then start adding additional lenses from there. Get a 28mm, a 105mm, a 35mm and an 85mm in that order - buying the fastest lenses you can afford.

Now, if you can tell me what to have for dinner tonight...

Whilst it's not an immediate necessity for me, I'd like to soon enough be in the position to utilise the letus set up (and associated lenses).
Certainly a 35mm to add to my set up would be great (I have an oldish Minolta 35mm SLR which still blows any digi camera I've had out of the water, albeit with a specific 'look').
Are these set ups relatively easy to pick up in the UK (and are the lens pretty easy to pick up in the second hand market)?

Oh and for dinner...for a tuesday it simply has to be Thai Green Curry.

Liam Hall October 23rd, 2007 05:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by David Scattergood (Post 763205)
Oh and for dinner...for a tuesday it simply has to be Thai Green Curry.

That's funny, I'm flying to Thailand tonight!

And yes they are easy to pick-up in the UK. Though, the second-hand market is way, way over-priced here - a couple of weeks on ebay should do the trick.

Buy Nikon manual focus lenses, although some AF lenses should work if they have a mechanical aperture that can be set on the lens.

Alternatively, if you've got heaps of cash then Zeiss make a pretty decent set of Nikon-fit, manual focus primes.

The key with all these lens adapters is to choose the fastest, sharpest glass you can afford.

Now, I better go pack...

David Scattergood October 23rd, 2007 06:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Liam Hall (Post 763212)
That's funny, I'm flying to Thailand tonight!

And yes they are easy to pick-up in the UK. Though, the second-hand market is way, way over-priced here - a couple of weeks on ebay should do the trick.

Buy Nikon manual focus lenses, although some AF lenses should work if they have a mechanical aperture that can be set on the lens.

Alternatively, if you've got heaps of cash then Zeiss make a pretty decent set of Nikon-fit, manual focus primes.

The key with all these lens adapters is to choose the fastest, sharpest glass you can afford.

Now, I better go pack...

Heaps of cash I do not have Liam...the cheapest possible I'm afraid.
I've recently shot some nice slow mo/overcranked footage in this nice light we're having in the uk at the moment (which we lost this 'summer'!).
It would be really nice to have a wide angle/35mm etc option for this camera so I'm thinking ahead to the 'leanest' options for acquiring such a set up here in ol blighty.

Thailand...work? I guess you're minds made up for evening meal then eh? :)
Have a good trip and thanks Liam.

Liam Hall October 23rd, 2007 07:27 AM

David, for around £1500 you can get a nice little set-up with an M2 or a Brevis and a few second-hand lenses (not sure how much a Letus is).

Alternatively, just walk back!

Oh, and yes it is for work, so I'll be dining courtesy of BA Club World, nice!

David Scattergood October 23rd, 2007 11:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Liam Hall (Post 763238)
David, for around £1500 you can get a nice little set-up with an M2 or a Brevis and a few second-hand lenses (not sure how much a Letus is).

Alternatively, just walk back!

Oh, and yes it is for work, so I'll be dining courtesy of BA Club World, nice!

Thanks Liam - gives me a rough guide to costs for this type of set up.
Have a good trip.

"walk back" - eh?