DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/jvc-gy-hd-series-camera-systems/)
-   -   Baptized BY FIRE! (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/jvc-gy-hd-series-camera-systems/115317-baptized-fire.html)

G. Lee Gordon February 20th, 2008 02:52 PM

Baptized BY FIRE!

Getting ready to take Robert Rodriguez's advice and buy a camera and make a movie. From reading the threads in the forum I am leaning towards a JVC GY HD200. I need some insight on your top 10 list of things to check on a used camera before purchasing it. Please make comments specific to the JVC GY HD line. Thanks.

Matt Ryan February 21st, 2008 05:09 PM

Buying used

Lens is scratch free and focus ring is smooth.

Make sure camera is not dinged up or damaged.

Check for dead pixels.

Make sure the camera focuses sharp on an object.

Make sure all movable parts on the lens are smooth and also function in auto.

Make sure xlr mic inputs are functioning.

Test out the camera if possible.

Robert Castiglione February 21st, 2008 05:12 PM

Concerning dead pixels make sure you use a monitor to do this as you wont be able to see them through the veiwfinder.

(though remember you can fix up dead pixels easily on the camera so it is not necessarily a problem)

rob

Alan Ortiz February 21st, 2008 06:56 PM

some models seem to have worse split screen effect than others, so try lowthe cam out in low light situations and check to see if it rears its ugly head too quickly in these light levels.

Brian Luce February 21st, 2008 07:02 PM

I got a good one. Make sure the Firewire port works! Maybe the seller will forget to mention he fried his firewire board. Ooops! That's $1900 to fix. Test capture HD and DV. Both!

G. Lee Gordon February 21st, 2008 08:17 PM

Thanks for the input... I didn't know the 200 had SSE trouble?

Justin Ferar February 21st, 2008 08:42 PM

SSE is not an issue with the HD200 AFAIK

G. Lee Gordon February 22nd, 2008 02:19 PM

I couldn't resist the temptation!!!

Thanks for all of the good advice. Just purchased the camera.
I went in there armed with a page full of notes of questions to ask him about the camera; ready to negotiate... The moment he opened up that pelican case and I saw that JVC GY HD200 I LOST ALL CONTROL. I began to salivate as I immediately said, "I'll take it". I couldn't resist all of the buttons and controls at my fingertips...
I had a prophetic flash of me presenting my academy award speech (thanking all of the little people at DV Info).

He went though some of the functions of the camera and showed me that it was operable. But, he sounded like the teacher from Charlie Brown (wah-wah-wah).

I just hope it works... Wish me luck!

Alan Ortiz February 23rd, 2008 10:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Justin Ferar (Post 830591)
SSE is not an issue with the HD200 AFAIK

ahh, yes. i forgot this was a 200 thread. SSE is absent in the 200, but sometimes pops up in the 100.