DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/jvc-gy-hd-series-camera-systems/)
-   -   How can I get 720p 59.94 from my HD100? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/jvc-gy-hd-series-camera-systems/116871-how-can-i-get-720p-59-94-my-hd100.html)

Sean Adair March 12th, 2008 11:07 PM

The bottom of that second page is very direct. Don't change the resolution!
All files will be output to theaters at 720p/59.94.
The only thing to worry about will be getting the proper pulldown cadence from the 24p. If it's at 30p, it will simply double each frame.
Both will look and work fine, the amount of motion in your footage and appropriateness of cinematic feel would help determine which is more suitable.

Steven Houser March 12th, 2008 11:10 PM

Pulldown?

It seems I would loose half the frames since it is progressive.

or could you recomend a pulldown N# I should try?

seems like the idea of upresizing would be better.

I just dont know!

Thx Im getting some options "really helps"

Steven Houser March 12th, 2008 11:12 PM

I see that!

So I can shoot agian at 30p then figure out the right pulldown?
Should I cut down on motion then?

Jack Walker March 13th, 2008 03:16 AM

This is not to answer your questions directly. However, the post two above says no change of resolution is allowed, so you cannot uprez.

Again, I am not the expert on which to shoot, 24p or 30p. However, what will happen is the 24p or 30p video will be put in the appropriate video stream by adding pulldown, just like movies are put on DVD.

The result will look like the original. but this will be accomplished with a 2:3:3:2 (e.g. for 24p) or a 2:2:2:2 (for 30p) presentation of the frames.

Shooting 30p will probably make things the simplest. It will also make camera movement less of an issue than when shooting 24p.

In any case, someone else will have to tell you what software with what settings you need to use, but it shouldn't be a problem.

Are you using a Mac?

Steven Houser March 13th, 2008 07:19 AM

Check that the pull-down is properly constructed

What would be the proper pulldown?

Thx for all the help!

Steven Houser March 13th, 2008 08:25 AM

Nle Pc

I see the pulldown note!

Thx this has really helped!

Sean Adair March 13th, 2008 09:27 AM

Keep 720p - that is clear, right? You have to supply an uncompressed quicktime (I don't know the length - might fit on DVD, maybe on a firewire drive) at 59.94fps.
If you start from 30fps (the highest frame rate of the HD100) it divides evenly into 60, and this is likely to produce best results (each frame duplicated).
This will look the same as your 30p footage. Easy.
Using 24fps footage, pulldown, or a staggered effect results from the uneven distribution of the original frames into 60fps. It isn't necessarily a bad thing. This is the "film look" - feature movies are shot at 24fps too, and when we watch them on video, this same pulldown occurs, we are used to it, and in fact unconsciously identify it with movies. However, I'm not sure how to ensure the "cadence" or distribution of these frames will occur with your system and software. It might be fine just with an export to quicktime in this format. You may want to start a new thread asking that question, if you decide to go this route.

Steven Houser March 13th, 2008 11:56 AM

I will stay 72030p

So I need to uncompress the m2t file then do the 2:2:2:2 (for 30p) pulldown?
Then bring it into my comp that is 720 59.94?

also I bought dvfilm maker for the uncompression but it crashes at start up..

Is there another way to uncompress the files?