DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/jvc-gy-hd-series-camera-systems/)
-   -   Pixel Masking...playing JVC doctor (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/jvc-gy-hd-series-camera-systems/122843-pixel-masking-playing-jvc-doctor.html)

Charles Barreto May 31st, 2008 09:22 PM

Pixel Masking...playing JVC doctor

So I had a dead pixel on my GY-HD100...out of nowhere it appeared. So I looked and looked and found a way to do the pixel mapping...had to do it twice before it dissapeared.

My concern is...is this proceedure a "real" fix or a temporary fix. Is this the same proceedure they would do at a JVC authorized center. Once one apears could I start seeing a occurance of more?

Robert Castiglione June 1st, 2008 07:27 AM

Hi Charles,

If you search the forums this has been dealt with pretty extensively.

My understanding is that dead pixels are a fact of life, that the pixel masking function is exactly what a technician would do, and finally that you could use the function many many times - certainly more times than the life of the camera. I have used it once around 50 hours and there really is no issue.

Rob

Alex Humphrey June 1st, 2008 07:54 AM

try to do it on a hot summer day after it's been on for at least 30 minutes in the sun. Heat brings out the dead pixels and makes them more visible. I doubt heat creates them however.

Mark Silva June 2nd, 2008 11:15 AM

one of my colleagues has an HD100 just like mine and whenever he fly's to a foreign country he almost always has new hot pixels from the plane ride.

You have to admit that its really great that JVC allows us to do this.
I remember a Canon GL1 having hot pixels and replacing a ccd block instead of pixel masking at it cost 1,000.

Charles Barreto June 2nd, 2008 10:03 PM

Can these dead pixels appear while shooting....like lets say that I set my scene and the picture is perfect...can 20 minutes into recording a pixel just go dead?

I've looked around the forum for more info on this but i cant seem to find one that covers in details...the ones i find are the ones of people asking to private message to find out hot to do it...

thanks

Robert Castiglione June 2nd, 2008 10:10 PM

I suppose its possible but why fuss about it?

It falls I think into the category of unnecessary anxieties.

Sensible precautions are to regularly check for dead pixels before going out on a shoot on a large enough monitor to actually see them. You just cannot see them on the viewfinder.

Also, dont forget that there are pixel masking plug ins for FCP just in case it does happen so it is not the end of the world.

Rob

Charles Barreto June 3rd, 2008 11:32 AM

oh...not fuzzing about it...just wondering. In my search on this usergroup all I have seen in negativity towards this issue and others...like SSE and what have you.

People treat this issue as if were a problem with the camera...so i just want to make sure I don't have to be extra careful. With my other cameras I just set it and forget it...but I was taken back with other user's comments and ill feeling.

Joseph A. Benoit June 4th, 2008 09:04 PM

Hello
what is the proper proceedure to fix a dead pixel on my 110

Thank You
Joe

Mark Silva June 5th, 2008 10:17 AM

Service Menu accessed while in HDV 24p mode by holding the Focus Assist button (the one on the camera body) when you press and hold the Menu/Status button for at least 5 seconds. You must be in 24p mode for this operation.

You see an advanced menu where the second line says CAMERA1. Move the cursor down and push the shutter wheel to enter that menu and now you have a list with the sixth item being PIXEL COMPEN. Move down to it and select that item, the word CANCEL blinks. Change it to EXECUTE and push again. It takes about 10 seconds or so to perform the operation and then tells you to power off the camera. You are done. Make sure Focus Assist is now OFF and exit 24p mode if desired.