DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/jvc-gy-hd-series-camera-systems/)
-   -   JVC 110HD through Sound Devices 302 (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/jvc-gy-hd-series-camera-systems/123275-jvc-110hd-through-sound-devices-302-a.html)

Eugene Kim June 7th, 2008 10:20 PM

JVC 110HD through Sound Devices 302

Anyone have experience using the Sound Devices 302 to feed a JVC 110HD?

I ask, because I think I read that the JVC expects a +4 line level input, while the 302 sends out a 0 line level. The Canon HDV cameras for example expect an unusually hot +6 line level input or so, and thus you more or less need to feed them mic level signals or something in between (with the 20db attenuation option that they have).

In other words, just wondering if anyone's had issues with calibarting 302 to the 110HD at line level, while still be able to keep the pots at unity on the 110HD.

Also, how is the sound quality in this regard? Never worked with the 110HD and realize it's HDV, so the audio is compressed. It's for a short film.

Thanks for any input.

Bob Hart June 7th, 2008 11:09 PM

On a local small indie feature, (not my own) the sound is going via a Rode mic through 0.5 of a 302 which is the Mixpre and the sound is fine. ( For HDV that is.) Camera audio inputs are set to "Line".

We set the camera audio by the tone at 0db (the yellow mark) on channel 1 and about 8 db down on channel 2 (linked as mono) for dialogue to bracket the levels in case our audio is a bit hot.

You have to be vigilent that no one resets the cam audio switch "Mic" or "48v" otherwise the outcome is not very nice at all. It may be helpful to tape over the level controls on the cam as well because sometimes these can be inadvertantly moved and the camera op may not notice.

Try to monitor audio off the camera headphones instead of or as well as off the mixer. Tie off the feed lead so that it does not pull up tight or hang heavily on the camera XLR socket as this may introduce clicks and abrupt changes in levels.

Jack Walker June 8th, 2008 01:18 AM

Here is the manual for the Sound Devices 302:
http://www.sounddevices.com/download/guides/302_en.pdf

Page 3 explains how to set output gain structure.

The tone oscillator can be changed in the 302's setup menu to output +4dBu instead of the factory default of 0 dBu. The tone oscillator is explained on page 14 of the manual linked above.

The compressed audio is not as good as uncompressed 48Hz which does not give as much latitude as 96Hz. However, it may be fine if recorded well. The quality is likely to depend much more on micing and levels than the compressed sound for what you are doing.

With the Sound Devices 302 you can use the auxillary output to record a second track onto any recorder that has a stereo mini-jack in (or adapters can be used) You just need the cable to go from the mixer to the stereo mini-plug (Sound Devices XL-3 OR XL-7 depending on whether you need mini jack or mini plug):
http://www.sounddevices.com/products/accessories.htm

I have used a microtrack, a clapper and a verbal slate. I record in 96 hz uncompressed wav. If I need the higher quality recording, I have it. However, I beleive people use the camera sound successfully all the time. Again, it just depends on what's being recorded and how well it's recorded.

Steve Oakley June 8th, 2008 11:13 AM

set tone from mixer 0 at -20 on the camera. the HD100/110 can take and likes a hot signal. with the 110 you can engage the limiter to catch any hot peak that sneaks thru. ALWAYS use line level with this camera as the mic level inputs are noisy.

and 96khz doesn't give you any more dynamic range then 48khz. its going from 16bit to 24 bit that counts for dynamic range provided the recording end is up to it and you are using a mic and mixer clean enough to make the difference.

the HD100 does in fact record 48K uncompressed at the same time in HDV mode but it requires making a second pass at the tape with the deck in DV mode. not really a practical solution.

Jack Walker June 8th, 2008 01:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steve Oakley (Post 889926)
nd 96khz doesn't give you any more dynamic range then 48khz. its going from 16bit to 24 bit that counts for dynamic range provided the recording end is up to it and you are using a mic and mixer clean enough to make the difference.

Sorry, I meant 24 bit not 96 khz. (Just not paying attention.)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steve Oakley (Post 889926)
the HD100 does in fact record 48K uncompressed at the same time in HDV mode but it requires making a second pass at the tape with the deck in DV mode. not really a practical solution.

I have heard this for a long time, but I'm not sure it's true. There is a thread somewhere where people who tested this posted results. If I remember correctly someone got a signal on one side but not the other.

If there is finally a definitive answer on this, I would like to know.

I am resetting up my HD110 and deck for a new project, and if I remember I will test this and report back.