DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/jvc-gy-hd-series-camera-systems/)
-   -   "ClipWrap" m2t to Quicktime HDV wrapper NOW AVAILABLE! (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/jvc-gy-hd-series-camera-systems/127888-clipwrap-m2t-quicktime-hdv-wrapper-now-available.html)

Tim Dashwood August 20th, 2008 05:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nick Papadopoulos (Post 922727)
1. Will clipwrap ever be able to handle scene breaks in a continuous m2t file to export as separate clips?

Possibly. This is on my personal wishlist for future updates or possibly another app but it is really a question best answered by Mike.
Currently ClipWrap will maintain the video of a broken mpeg2 stream just as it is in its m2t form but continues the TC read from before the first data break. If you use REGEN TC then the timecode will likely continue to be fairly accurate over start/stop breaks.

Quote:

2. Will FCP read 720p24 files' TC as :00 to :23 OR :00 to :29?

FCP will see "ClipWrapped" quicktimes as 24fps NDF TC (:00 to :23.)
If you prefer to switch to 30fps NDF TC for the purposes of batch capturing from FCP then you can easily do that in FCP.

Quote:

3. ...For tape based footage, what is your suggested workflow now that clipwrap is available... (720p24) from which program to use for capture, down to to FCP's sequence/and other settings... (using FCP for editing)? I do have premiere available...

If you are solely tape-based (and maintaining clean heads and using ProHD stock) then first simply try logging and capturing using FCP's Log & Capture tool in HDV or ProRes422 mode. If this works for you then great. If FCP is abnormally breaking takes then you need to use a m2t capture tool with ClipWrap.

There are many ways to capture a m2t from an HDV camera:
Hard drive capture systems: Focus Enhancements FS4, FS5, DR-HD100, nNovia hard drives, Convergent Design XDR, etc.
Software only capture tools like DVHSCap (found in Apple Firewire SDK), HDVxDV or DM's Scopebox (incidentally Scopebox 2 can capture directly into HDV Quicktime.)
PC based NLE's like Adobe Premiere CS3, Vegas, etc.

Tim Dashwood August 20th, 2008 05:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gary Nattrass (Post 922462)
I changed the .m2t to lower case!!!

Now why is my CF unit recording with upper case file ext's

I'm glad you spent the time and figured this out. It is always the simple things that get overlooked!
During the beta testing I had reported (buried somewhere in my notes) that I couldn't drag-and-drop Z7 files but didn't spend enough time on it to figure out it was just the upper-case issue. I was too concerned with ProHD material to bother with what I figured was a Sony meta-data discrepancy.

Awesome!

Gary Nattrass August 20th, 2008 07:11 PM

As you say Tim Awesome and I got a beta version to test tonight and it works just great.

Being a lazy tester I even just dragged the mounted disk into the clipwrap and it saw all the file fine so it is a perfect solution to using the CF from the Z7.

I have an express card reader that I got from china for $20 and I can now ingest CF files very quickly.

David Allen Smith August 21st, 2008 02:56 PM

So what is the solution for M2T files containing time code breaks?

Tim Dashwood August 21st, 2008 03:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by David Allen Smith (Post 923184)
So what is the solution for MT2 files containing time code breaks?

You can use MpegStreamclip to manually trim and re-export pieces of a m2t but that would be very time-consuming if you captured a whole tape with multiple start/stop breaks.

Ideally it is best to capture each take separately. You will save yourself time in the long run.

Robert Adams August 21st, 2008 03:49 PM

still don't get it...

Sorry, forgive my inability to get my head round this. I want to shoot on my HD111 in 720 24p on tape, and capture entire tapes without a break into Final Cut Pro 5.1.4.

Is there any way I can do this? It looks like I need to download DVHSCap, capture the material using that as m2t files; then download Clipwrap and rewrap the clips; then import the clip-wrapped m2t files into FCP....

This is not a viable workflow on a tight news deadline.

I have used a Firestore for the first time on a HDX200 this past few weeks in Rwanda, and loathe it. The fan is incredibly noisy, it sucks dust, overheats, and seriously encumbers the camera - and that's before adding the constant concern that the firewire cable will break or fall out. we brought four for this shoot, and one failed out of the box, and we're having problems with two of the remaining three. In this case this is the production company's problem - but I'm reluctant to spend my own shilling on such an unreliable device, especially given the kind of places I work.

I have a problem with holding a camera system together with gaffer tape and elastic bands, but that's the only way I can mount the damn thing on the camera.

So what's the way forward? I don't really want to bin FCP. I don;t really want to bin my JVC...

But I must say, the Sony HVR 270 S is starting to look like a smart replacement... At least, I understand it does what it's meant to do without requiring gaffer tape, elastic bands, and transcoding footage...

But please, if there's an easy way of doing this, I'd really love to hear about it.

David Allen Smith August 21st, 2008 03:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tim Dashwood (Post 923195)
You can use MpegStreamclip to manually trim and re-export pieces of a m2t but that would be very time-consuming if you captured a whole tape with multiple start/stop breaks.

Ideally it is best to capture each take separately. You will save yourself time in the long run.

Thanks Tim, I will give it a shot. Great HD100 training video by the way!

Mike Woodworth August 21st, 2008 06:33 PM

First, there's an update posted to the site 1.0.1. It fixes some of the bugs you guys have listed here - capitalized extensions now work, time breaks should be properly skipped over. If you've already downloaded 1.0, it should autoupdate.

Next, it sounds like people would like a preference to toggle between combining all the shots into one long qt, vs splitting them into multiple destination movs - each with their own TC. Does this option make everyone happy?

This should be a fairly easy addition, those of you who are gunning for the split clip option, contact me off list (mike [at] divergentmedia {dot} com ), and I'll try to have something for you to test with your footage by early next week.

-mike

Tim Dashwood August 21st, 2008 09:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Robert Adams (Post 923209)
Is there any way I can do this? It looks like I need to download DVHSCap, capture the material using that as m2t files; then download Clipwrap and rewrap the clips; then import the clip-wrapped m2t files into FCP....

This is not a viable workflow on a tight news deadline.

The absolute quickest workflow for news is obviously tapeless. If you're not happy with any of the direct-to-disk or solid-state solutions available then yes you will have to spend the time to digitize.
FCP 5.1.4 will automatically split your clips while you digitize but as you may have read above many have had data integrity issues from tape (which FCP won't tolerate.) If you are using the ProHD tape and don't have these issues then you will only spend 1 hour per tape to capture it. If you do have split-clips as a result of data breaks then you will want to go the m2t capture route.
If capturing with an m2t capture tool (real-time) and spending a little bit of extra time to wrap into quicktime (probably less than 10 minutes per hour) is adding too much time to your workflow then the only other suggestion I have is to use either the DR-HD100 or Scopebox 2 to capture in post while simultaneously wrapping to QT HDV.

Gary Nattrass August 22nd, 2008 09:01 AM

Thanks for the update Mike I am a very happy bunny now with a fully working compact flash workflow from my Z7 to final cut pro.

Joni Partanen August 22nd, 2008 01:38 PM

Clipwrap not working

When I use ClipWrap I can see the blue bar going till about 20% and then it halts but when I look at the output file is seems to just get larger and larger. Even 3 times the size of the original file. With another file it stops at 70% I tried with two different files, both a 30p 720 HDV m2t file.

Any ideas on what could be wrong?

MPEG Streamclip can use the file without any problems.

I use an iMac G5 with FCP installed

Tim Dashwood August 22nd, 2008 02:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Joni Partanen (Post 923558)
When I use ClipWrap I can see the blue bar going till about 20% and then it halts but when I look at the output file is seems to just get larger and larger. Even 3 times the size of the original file. With another file it stops at 70% I tried with two different files, both a 30p 720 HDV m2t file.

Any ideas on what could be wrong?

MPEG Streamclip can use the file without any problems.

I use an iMac G5 with FCP installed

Have you run the update to v1.0.1. Your file may have a break in it. v1.0.1 addresses this issue.

Joni Partanen August 22nd, 2008 02:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tim Dashwood (Post 923581)
Have you run the update to v1.0.1. Your file may have a break in it. v1.0.1 addresses this issue.

Yes, I'm using the latest version, 1.0.1

Tim Dashwood August 22nd, 2008 03:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Joni Partanen (Post 923587)
Yes, I'm using the latest version, 1.0.1

Do you have a Intel system to try it on?

Joni Partanen August 22nd, 2008 03:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tim Dashwood (Post 923602)
Do you have a Intel system to try it on?

Unfortunately I don't. I could upload the video file if needed for analyzing.

Tim Dashwood August 22nd, 2008 08:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Joni Partanen (Post 923616)
Unfortunately I don't. I could upload the video file if needed for analyzing.

Please do. I'm sure Mike would like to analyze your file.
Do you have a ftp server?

Joni Partanen August 25th, 2008 02:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tim Dashwood (Post 923701)
Please do. I'm sure Mike would like to analyze your file.
Do you have a ftp server?

I've uploaded the file to Mike to be analyzed.

Greg E. Smith August 25th, 2008 04:06 PM

I have found a few files from my JVC 250 camera (720p60) captured on the DR-HD100 (.m2t) that caused similar issues within ClipWrap.
When processing they show no progress past a certain point, but the file created keeps getting larger and larger.

As a test I took them into MPEG Streamclip and fixed timecode breaks and they all worked fine thereafter.
Unfortunately, since I don't know ahead of time which clips will need further attention I can't use ClipWrap unattended.

Mike Woodworth August 26th, 2008 11:59 AM

Hey guys,

We've gotten the first clips in that exhibit this problem, a few more are coming by carrier pigeon as we speak. Once we have some of these hangers in the test suite, it should be a matter of days before we can get a fix out.

Thanks for your patience.
mike

Greg E. Smith September 17th, 2008 01:44 PM

Mike,

Been a while since this was discussed, any news on the fix?

Robert Bale September 24th, 2008 06:07 AM

Hi Mike,

I wanted to know if your close to putting out a update that can handle large 1hr file. It would be good if you could get it to fix the time code.

I am finding this software no good if i am capturing a full tape , with multible takes.

Rob.

Kevin Shaw September 24th, 2008 07:59 AM

Out of curiosity, can ClipWrap work in reverse to convert Quicktime HD files to standard M2T format for transfer to a PC?

Greg Corke September 24th, 2008 01:19 PM

Hi Robert,

I also have this issue. I have many tapes that I have captured using dvhscap and are now huge 8gig files. Clipwrap doesn't seem to want to deal with these. When I hit convert clipwrap seems to stop processing at around the 20% and 70% mark. Unfortunately I tested Clipwrap some files created on my Firestore which it handled effortlessly.

Mike it would be great if this could be fixed in an update, any news?

Greg

Daniel Weber September 24th, 2008 02:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kevin Shaw (Post 942375)
Out of curiosity, can ClipWrap work in reverse to convert Quicktime HD files to standard M2T format for transfer to a PC?

Compressor does this very nicely.

Daniel Weber

Kevin Shaw September 24th, 2008 02:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Daniel Weber (Post 942662)
Compressor does this very nicely.

Daniel Weber

Thanks Daniel. Someone told me he was having trouble doing this, so I don't know what the problem was there - unless it had something to do with using a Matrox card on the PC.

Robert Bale September 24th, 2008 05:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Greg Corke (Post 942588)
Hi Robert,

I also have this issue. I have many tapes that I have captured using dvhscap and are now huge 8gig files. Clipwrap doesn't seem to want to deal with these. When I hit convert clipwrap seems to stop processing at around the 20% and 70% mark. Unfortunately I tested Clipwrap some files created on my Firestore which it handled effortlessly.

Mike it would be great if this could be fixed in an update, any news?

Greg

Hi Greg, i am looking at getting either the New FS-5, or the JVC MR-HD100, so r u saying that when u use the firestore drive files (mt2) and convert them to QT with Clipwrap it works fine. Even if your capturing a long edit, or say 1hr ?
Rob.

Greg Corke September 25th, 2008 03:29 PM

Hi Robert,

Clip wrap seems to work fine on the short files from my firestore although none of these are longer than two or three minutes. However, I have footage on tape which after capturing with dvhscap are huge 8gig files which I can't seem to get clipwrap to convert. I really hope they sort this out soon.

Greg

Steven Plaisance September 29th, 2008 12:15 PM

I originally bought clipwrap because I was having problems capturing HDV with FCP. Whenever there was any sort of dropout/tape abnormality FCP would break what should have been one coniuios 1 hour file into many ifles and missing setcions of video that I could not for the life of me capture.

I do have to digitize my footage using DVHSCap as a m2t file then use clipwrap to make it a useable QT file for FCP editing.

Soemwhere in the process my audio shifts. Not sure what program is doing it but when I import my QT into FCP and put it on the time line my audio is shifted. I have checked for drop/non drop frame issues and have not come up with why my audio shifts. The audio is fin at the begining of the cip but by the end is off by a few seconds. So, sounds like a drop frame issues, but how do I fix this and has anyone else seen anything like this and know the solution???

Robert Bale September 30th, 2008 04:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steven Plaisance (Post 944632)
I originally bought clipwrap because I was having problems capturing HDV with FCP. Whenever there was any sort of dropout/tape abnormality FCP would break what should have been one coniuios 1 hour file into many ifles and missing setcions of video that I could not for the life of me capture.

I do have to digitize my footage using DVHSCap as a m2t file then use clipwrap to make it a useable QT file for FCP editing.

Soemwhere in the process my audio shifts. Not sure what program is doing it but when I import my QT into FCP and put it on the time line my audio is shifted. I have checked for drop/non drop frame issues and have not come up with why my audio shifts. The audio is fin at the begining of the cip but by the end is off by a few seconds. So, sounds like a drop frame issues, but how do I fix this and has anyone else seen anything like this and know the solution???

Hey steve,

we are all have the same issue, the only thing is if you are doing a long capture is to use stream-clip. we are waiting on the guys at clipwrap to do a update that will handle time code breaks.

Mike Woodworth October 2nd, 2008 08:50 AM

Hey everyone... we've been hard at work trying to fix these sync issues. Yesterday we posted 1.0.2 which addresses all the sync issues we can recreate in house. If you still have clips that convert out of sync (or any other problems) the best thing to do is contact me directly so we can arrange a way to get us a copy of the problem files. With the files in house, these things tend to be an easy fix.

-mike

mike [at] divergentmedia [dot] com

David Knaggs October 7th, 2008 05:47 AM

Anyone else have this problem?

Firstly, I think Mike's done a great job fixing the sync problems with the latest version.

I now have found a problem trying to send (from the FCP timeline) individual clips (converted with ClipWrap) to Soundtrack Pro for audio file editing. In both 24p and 25p. But I'm wondering whether it's simply a problem with my system and not a ClipWrap problem at all. There's no problem when I send natively captured (through FCP) HDV clips to Soundtrack Pro from the FCP timeline. But I'm not able to do it with a ClipWrap HDV clip. I simply get a "General Error" message.

Has anyone had success sending ClipWrap HDV clips from the timeline to Soundtrack Pro in 24p or 25p?

Gary Nattrass October 13th, 2008 06:10 PM

Hi I am in the UK and shoot everything in 1080i 50i and use clipwrap as my workflow from Z7 and S270 compact flash shooting into final cut studio 2. Tape is for back-up and has been useful when a couple of small problems have happened but clipwrap is working so good it may be obsolete or just to give to clients for safety.

I have to say that I have had two problems and Mike has fixed these within days so you can not wish for a better software development service. Bear in mind that I am in the UK and so far my final cut sony plug in has never worked since I got the Z7 6 months ago and sony still have no fix.

I used to work for AMS Neve as software support for AudioFile and Logic (DFC) consoles so I know what it is like at the front end of new software development.

This software is now working great on version 1.0.2 and all my final edits are exported via OMF 2 to pro tools LE with dv toolkit 2 for dubbing and I have no problems with any audio.

I dont tend to use soundtrack pro as it is full of bugs and doesnt have the pro dubbing features that pro tools has so sorry I cant advise on that but if it is going from CF m2t to QT .mov to OMF .aiff and then to AIFF out of pro tools as a master mix then I am sure that Mikes software is working fine. All cross fades and level adjustments are going across Ok too from CF to FCP to PT LE.

I then drop the master mix AIFF onto the final cut timeline and it is sync perfect every time. The master picture and sound is then exported from FCP ST2 as pro res 422 1080i 25p.

Thanks to Mike for a great piece of software that is making my workflow a dream to work with, we are shooting so fast now for our IPTV station that I have total confidence in our workflow from camera all the way to pro res delivery.

Hope to meet you someday Mike and keep up the good work.

Gary

P.S Could this be added to the Z7/S270 section as a sticky as there are a few more people who cant use the sony log and transfer plug in.

John-Paul Bonadonna October 17th, 2008 07:32 AM

Would anyone care to comment about the noise which we've identified as present in all audio capture with the DR hard drive when recording to QT? Does capture to m2t as opposed to QT .mov eliminate this noise (which is NOT present on ProHD tapes!) If some, I'd assume we are going to purchase this product! (if we don't return the hard drive!)

Philip Gioja October 28th, 2008 06:08 PM

It's sick how fast this ClipWrap program is. I'm working on a project a friend of mine shot on his FS with JVC HD100, and I was using streamclip... this is way cool. Thanks guys.

Philip Gioja October 28th, 2008 06:25 PM

One thing that might be a nice feature down the road would be to be able to set multiple destination points for imported clips. We have a ton of footage in several folders and it'd be nice to be able to send batches to different folders - similar to the way compressor does it. Not critical but just a thought.

Dennis St. John October 30th, 2008 12:09 AM

Capturing more than 20 contiguous minutes with ClipWrap

First off, I have a Sony HVR-Z7U and using FCP.

Ok, ClipWrap was working great for all my needs, until I got out on a shoot today and ended up shooting a few segments about 1 hour each in contiguous length.

The problem is that there are multiple m2t files in one contiguous recording, and when I try to splice the files together, I'm not having a lot of luck. For me, the first two frames of any file I ClipWrap are unusable. They are basically garbled.

Has anyone had any luck in working with longer recordings (longer than 20 or so minutes - due to the 4GB filesize limitation) and the Sony Memory Recording Unit HVR-MRC1 that comes with the HVR-Z7U?

TiA!

Steve Mullen October 31st, 2008 02:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mike Woodworth (Post 945985)
Yesterday we posted 1.0.2 which addresses all the sync issues we can recreate in house.

I Mike we emailed a while ago about your supporting 1920x1080 TOD (.m2ts) MPEG-2 files. Any news? Now that VisualHub has gone out of business, the JVC camcorders have only Streamclip!

David Scattergood November 20th, 2008 09:16 AM

Hi,

I've just this afternoon downloaded Clipwrap (the trial for the time being at least).
Impressed with the speed of the convert!
However, I was wondering if this can be used in anyway for overcranking - I usually used the following workflow:

DVHSCAP > Mpegstreamslip > Conform to 25 (when recording with HDV-SD50p)

TO my eyes...and unless I've done something drastically wrong, the resulting footage has deteriorated pretty badly - one of the reasons I rarely use the method (saying that, I've seen it done much better on some of your posts in the 'show your work' section).
I was hoping clipwrap might generate much cleaner footage, but I cannot seemingly have FCP injest the .mov files originated as HDV-SD50p footage: I get a black image (which requires rendering - which I cannot they carry out due to a codec incorrect message) although the audio is carried through (720p25 works a treat however).

Apologies if this has already been discussed...I've had a good route through this thread and others to little avail.

Tim Dashwood November 20th, 2008 09:42 AM

Unfortunately the Quicktime HDV codec doesn't support 576p50 or 480p60 so it must be transcoded into another codec like PhotoJpeg. Clipwrap simply wraps 720p or 1080i/p into Quicktime using the HDV codec so it won't be able to work with 576p or 480p HDV.

BTW the HDV codec won't allow speed conforming in Cinema Tools so if you want to overcrank (even 720p60) you must transcode to an all I-frame codec like ProRes422 or PhotoJpeg.

David Scattergood November 20th, 2008 10:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tim Dashwood (Post 966309)
Unfortunately the Quicktime HDV codec doesn't support 576p50 or 480p60 so it must be transcoded into another codec like PhotoJpeg. Clipwrap simply wraps 720p or 1080i/p into Quicktime using the HDV codec so it won't be able to work with 576p or 480p HDV.

That will explain that! Thanks Tim.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tim Dashwood (Post 966309)
BTW the HDV codec won't allow speed conforming in Cinema Tools so if you want to overcrank (even 720p60) you must transcode to an all I-frame codec like ProRes422 or PhotoJpeg.

Cheers Tim - I'd been using your overcranking post ( http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/601438-post1.html ) for some time - invaluable as always.
Not entirely convinced by the quality of the footage - it somehow appears grainy, although to be fair the majority of 'slow mo' I show was never in the best light.

Essentially then, as most of my projects will be either on the web or DVD, does clipwrap become a much better workflow both quality wise and time wise? It's a breeze to use.