DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/jvc-gy-hd-series-camera-systems/)
-   -   Thinking out side the Square (tapeless capture) (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/jvc-gy-hd-series-camera-systems/128554-thinking-out-side-square-tapeless-capture.html)

Robert Bale August 23rd, 2008 01:46 AM

Thinking out side the Square (tapeless capture)

Hello,

I have a question,

If i buy a high speed Fire wire (800) Card reader and a 16 or 32 gig card, will it work if i plug it in to the firewire port on the HD 201 camers and try to record to it.

Lexar - Flash memory card readers - Pro CF Reader

Just a question.

Tim Dashwood August 23rd, 2008 02:42 AM

Unfortunately no. There needs to be some sort of intermediate DOS to write the m2t stream to the card.

JVC showed a mock-up of the MR-HD200U at NAB08 using SD cards but I haven't heard any news about it since.

JVC News Release - MR-HD200

John Thomason August 23rd, 2008 09:38 AM

MR Hd 200

Will this unit be able to record from the Hd SDI conection or is it just like the HD 100 and record only DV and HDV, through the firewire port. I would like to record uncompressed with my HD 250. Are there any cost predictions.

Tim Dashwood August 23rd, 2008 11:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by John Thomason (Post 923876)
Will this unit be able to record from the Hd SDI conection or is it just like the HD 100 and record only DV and HDV, through the firewire port. I would like to record uncompressed with my HD 250. Are there any cost predictions.

The JVC unit is a mpeg2 stream recorder.
It sounds like you are looking for either Convergent-Design's Flash XDR or NanoFlash for lossless mpeg2 encoding from HD-SDI using intraframe compression (no GOP.)
Download the uncompressed vs intraframe mpeg2 high bitrate sample from the website. They ran a difference filter in photoshop to detect possible compression artifacts and the two are indistinguishable.

Robert Bale August 23rd, 2008 04:57 PM

Dam,

Well lets hope some one smart can write some code or software to add to the card.

Thanks any way tim.
Rob.

Brian Luce August 23rd, 2008 08:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tim Dashwood (Post 923905)
The JVC unit is a mpeg2 stream recorder.
It sounds like you are looking for either Convergent-Design's Flash XDR or NanoFlash for lossless mpeg2 encoding from HD-SDI using intraframe compression (no GOP.)
Download the uncompressed vs intraframe mpeg2 high bitrate sample from the website. They ran a difference filter in photoshop to detect possible compression artifacts and the two are indistinguishable.

If they're indistinguishable, then what's the point? It would just mean the uncompressed will hog up more flash storage space. Doesn't it make more sense to convert to uncompressed in the computer? Not in a portable flash drive with limited space?

Tim Dashwood August 23rd, 2008 10:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brian Luce (Post 924056)
If they're indistinguishable, then what's the point?

The point is that mpeg2 at 100+mbps intraframe takes up way less space then uncompressed but yields basically the same quality. That's what makes the Flash XDR an ideal product for those looking for uncompressed quality to cheap & large CF cards. Flash memory wouldn't be able to handle the bitrate of HD uncompressed.

Brian Luce August 23rd, 2008 11:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tim Dashwood (Post 924077)
The point is that mpeg2 at 100+mbps intraframe takes up way less space then uncompressed but yields basically the same quality. That's what makes the Flash XDR an ideal product for those looking for uncompressed quality to cheap & large CF cards. Flash memory wouldn't be able to handle the bitrate of HD uncompressed.

Oh, didn't see that part about 100mbps. Thought you were talking about the flavor that records to mini dv tape.

Robert Bale August 24th, 2008 10:54 PM

Hi tim,
What type of Tapless do you recommend, i will still always capture to tape, the tapeless capture it would be used for a quick capture to my laptop for a same day edit. (now that we have Clipwrap) I have a HD201.

Thanks Rob
PS I will not use it all the time so there fore did not want to send to many $$

Tim Dashwood August 24th, 2008 11:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Robert Bale (Post 924414)
What type of Tapless do you recommend?

Personally I like DR-HD100 because it works well and it very versatile (can be used in SD DV and HDV with any camera.) I use one all the time and the current firmware is solid. I haven't had the opportunity to try the FS-4 HD Pro (which is practically identical.)

I haven't used any of the other options in a day-to-day production environment.
nNovia products look promising but I'm not sure how they are priced. Josh Chesarek has done a first-impression review here Review: nNovia QuickCapture HD and Small Camera Mount by Josh Chesarek

Daniel Weber August 25th, 2008 09:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tim Dashwood (Post 924418)
nNovia products look promising but I'm not sure how they are priced. Josh Chesarek has done a first-impression review here Review: nNovia QuickCapture HD and Small Camera Mount by Josh Chesarek

I prices out the QC HD 120 gig model (fixed drive) with a V mount kit. It was priced at $1020 through my local dealer. This is cheaper than the Firestore.

Daniel Weber

Amos Kim August 29th, 2008 03:01 AM

tim, can you tell use how many minutes the fat32 2gb limit on clips amounts to? I'm seriously favoring the dr hd100's slim design v.s. the bulky nNovia qc hd.

Tim Dashwood August 29th, 2008 07:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Amos Kim (Post 926508)
tim, can you tell use how many minutes the fat32 2gb limit on clips amounts to? I'm seriously favoring the dr hd100's slim design v.s. the bulky nNovia qc hd.

Just over 10 minutes.