DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/jvc-gy-hd-series-camera-systems/)
-   -   Jvc dr-hd100 (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/jvc-gy-hd-series-camera-systems/140414-jvc-dr-hd100.html)

Jason McCormy December 28th, 2008 10:45 AM

Jvc dr-hd100

Greetings,

I am about to purchase the hard drive recording unity for our JVC GY-HD200u and just realized that I don't know if it records the 720p60 format. I went to the site and can't locate the information there either. Does anyone know?

Thank you for your help, as always.

Ted Ramasola December 28th, 2008 11:54 AM

Jason,

at M2t setting it does, this I'm sure of. I'm not sure about quicktime. I only have the FS-4HD which does not have quicktime but records all the frame rates of the HD200.

I think the first firmware releases of the DR-HD100 didn't support quicktime 60P but later you can update the firmware from their website.

No problem with m2ts though.

Ted

Jason McCormy December 28th, 2008 01:39 PM

Great, thank you very much. If you don't mind, I have two more questions, how does it attach to the camera and is there anyway to power it off the Anton Baur camera supply rather than the built in battery?

Thank you so much for your help.

Bob Hart December 28th, 2008 08:59 PM

I can confirm the DR100 with all its updates does record Quicktime from the JVC HD110. We have used it in Sonic Sessions. The only issue was that the camera firmware had to be updated to drive the DR100 and that was unrelated to Quicktime files just initial installing of the DR100.

One hassle, well known is the firewire cable port on the JVCs. It is not very robust and the stiff wider cables tend to load the metal socket rim out of shape, which then permits the plug (jack in americaspeak) to move about and lose contact.

You may find you have to pick and choose which end of a firewire cable works and mark it or you may have to go through one or two longer cables until you find one which is reliable.

This may be where many of the firewire boards are getting blown because it is essentially hot-swapping, maybe many times a second when the contact is bad.

Steve Rice's rig takes its power from the V-Mount battery. The battery adaptor which is fitted to the camera has a power tap on the right hand side. The mounting cradle fits up to this battery adaptor with two small screws on the right hand side. The DR100 slides into this cradle from above. How it is with IDX or Anton Bauer systems I do not know.

John Harbor December 28th, 2008 09:20 PM

Yes the V mount or IDX system is the same, a "D" tap is available from the side of the battery plate to power the HDD.
I have V mount batteries that also have "D" tape outputs on the batteries themselves which is really handy, 1 to power the LCD monitor and the other to "Charge" the HDD.

Ted Ramasola December 29th, 2008 12:24 AM

The Anton Bauer mount has the D tap on top. This powers the Firestore if i plan long takes. I didnt get a cradle with my FS so i made one out aluminum. You have to order a cradle for your firestore since it is an optional accessory.

Jason McCormy December 29th, 2008 09:03 AM

Thank you very much for all your help. I'm really excited about this as I think it will solve my capture problems plus make for a smoother work flow. My boss gave me the camera for my Christmas bonus, so it is all mine now!

The camera has the Anton Bauer power supply. So I just need the cable to power the harddrive recorder? Also, there seems to be more than on mount for the harddrive. Which one do you recommend? I already have the Anton Bauer mounting plates that go around the batter for wireless etc.

Thank you again!

Bob Hart December 29th, 2008 11:10 AM

Jason.

At P60, I think your resolution takes a fairly heavy hit, both to tape and to the DR100 because of the limit on the amount of data the HDV codec and firewire are designed to deal with.

To get full res P60, you may have to go out component or HD-SDI if your camera has it, to another recording system which has the muscle to cope with it.

We got caught out with this on Congoro with the "Gladiator" scene when we tried P50 on a HD250 to tape and the DR-100. I say "we" even if it was not my project because I was the mug who told them P50 would work for slow-mo back to 25P in post. It did but at the reduced resolution.

Jason McCormy December 29th, 2008 11:17 AM

Ok, I have been hearing that. I'm thinking 24 or 30 or 24 is really the way I want to go with the exception of very specific shots. Thank you for the input. I wish JVC would have thought that through a little better.

Shaun Roemich December 29th, 2008 12:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bob Hart (Post 985590)
JIt did but at the reduced resolution.

Actually, 60P on the 2xx series is at full RESOLUTION but is much "noisier" due to the longer GOP (15 frames instead of 6 for 24P or 30P). The 1xx series uses SD resolution to capture at 60P.

Jason McCormy December 29th, 2008 12:50 PM

Great. Thank you for the explanations.

This recorder appears to have a firewire out port as well as a firewire in port (I was looking at the specs). Could I hook up a laptop to preview the footage in VLC while recording to the Focus harddrive?

David Allen Smith December 31st, 2008 05:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bob Hart (Post 985301)
I can confirm the DR100 with all its updates does record Quicktime from the JVC HD110. We have used it in Sonic Sessions. The only issue was that the camera firmware had to be updated to drive the DR100 and that was unrelated to Quicktime files just initial installing of the DR100.

One hassle, well known is the firewire cable port on the JVCs. It is not very robust and the stiff wider cables tend to load the metal socket rim out of shape, which then permits the plug (jack in americaspeak) to move about and lose contact.

You may find you have to pick and choose which end of a firewire cable works and mark it or you may have to go through one or two longer cables until you find one which is reliable.

This may be where many of the firewire boards are getting blown because it is essentially hot-swapping, maybe many times a second when the contact is bad.

I know exactly what you are talking about.

I bought port isolators for my camera and they fit more snug then any firewire cable I have ever used. After securing with a small amount tape i have yet to accidently unplug a firewire, plus I have the added protection of isolating current that may be passing the firewire.

Marc Colemont January 1st, 2009 09:20 AM

To record 60P on the DR-HD100, you also need the latest firmware for the device as the first firmware did only go up to 30P.

James Lilly January 5th, 2009 09:52 AM

I'm curious about this adapter. Can you run the firewire out on it to a computer and record and view on a computer through it while also recording to the dr-hd100? Sort of a double backup plus image review?

Ted Ramasola January 5th, 2009 10:15 AM

I know you can daisy chain it.