DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/jvc-gy-hd-series-camera-systems/)
-   -   Very General, Unimportant ? Re: Primes v. Stock Lens (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/jvc-gy-hd-series-camera-systems/144601-very-general-unimportant-re-primes-v-stock-lens.html)

Lee Roberts February 25th, 2009 11:56 AM

Very General, Unimportant ? Re: Primes v. Stock Lens

Hey,

This may sound silly (and it may be unique to the HD-Series of stock lenses...I haven't used any others), but does anyone know why:

- On an SLR using primes, one turns the focus ring clockwise (from behind the camera) to focus on objects further away

- On the stock Fujinon lens, it's the opposite?

I've been shooting still photography for years, and I can't tell you how many follow-focus shots I've blown because of this. I'm not a very smart guy, so it's taken longer to 'sink in', maybe. Just curious how primes designed for motion picture cameras work.

Thanks,

Lee

Shaun Roemich February 25th, 2009 12:15 PM

Video lenses in general follow the "clockwise => closer" standard. I noticed it when I first jumped into video but now it's second nature to me, I suppose much as one moves from an automatic transmission to a standard in different automobiles.

Funny, I just tried a bunch of ciné lenses for my JVC and I meant to look into focus direction and I COMPLETELY forgot...

Lee Roberts February 25th, 2009 12:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shaun Roemich (Post 1018276)
Video lenses in general follow the "clockwise => closer" standard. I noticed it when I first jumped into video but now it's second nature to me, I suppose much as one moves from an automatic transmission to a standard in different automobiles.

Funny, I just tried a bunch of ciné lenses for my JVC and I meant to look into focus direction and I COMPLETELY forgot...

lol...Thanks. I spend about the same amount of time with my SLRs as I do shooting video, so I still screw it up from time-to-time, and I've always meant to ask the question and never got around to it. I was editing some footage this morning that reminded me ;)

Take care,

Lee

Matthias Krause February 25th, 2009 03:03 PM

Also depends what SLR you use. Nikon works the one way, Canon the other...

Lee Roberts February 25th, 2009 03:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Matthias Krause (Post 1018377)
Also depends what SLR you use. Nikon works the one way, Canon the other...

I thought about that, too. I have some very nice Nikon/Nikkor glass (some lenses that were more $$ than the video cameras) - don't know why I haven't taken advantage of some type of adapter for my HD cams. Everytime I look, I begin with the lower end stuff, and I end up feeling like I would be making a mistake if I didn't at least jump to the JVC adapter. I'll bite the bullet soon enough, though.

Thanks ~ Lee

Shaun Roemich February 25th, 2009 03:49 PM

Lee: Mike Tapa makes a Nikon to 1/3" mount that fits the JVCs. Very reasonably priced. Realize you'll have a 7x magnification due to target size. I own the JVC PL mount adaptor and have only begun to dabble with it but I'm excited. It's a pricey bit of kit. though...

Lee Roberts February 27th, 2009 06:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shaun Roemich (Post 1018411)
Lee: Mike Tapa makes a Nikon to 1/3" mount that fits the JVCs. Very reasonably priced. Realize you'll have a 7x magnification due to target size. I own the JVC PL mount adaptor and have only begun to dabble with it but I'm excited. It's a pricey bit of kit. though...

Thanks, Shaun. The 7x mag is a deal breaker for me, though. I'd like to get my hands on a JVC PL mount to fool around with for a day, but my local dealer doesn't keep a demo unit. The best price I've seen is about $3500, and since I just purchased (2) nNovia units and would like to avoid a divorce, I'm going to have to wait ;)

Take care ~ Lee

Shaun Roemich February 27th, 2009 08:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lee Roberts (Post 1019295)
I'd like to get my hands on a JVC PL mount to fool around with for a day, but my local dealer doesn't keep a demo unit.

Then comes the inevitable "problem" of either renting beautiful primes or scouring "that online site whose name begins with e" and other online sources for that next "break the bank" purchase... Have I ever mentioned how much I love my addiction... I mean PROFESSION?

Bill Ravens February 27th, 2009 08:39 AM

I just bought Mike's HD110 to Nikon adapter and a few Nikon zoom lenses via that un-named website. B&H also has some very nice deals on used Nikon zooms. I got a 36-72, 70-200, and 300mm prime. Let me say that these lenses are absolutely beautiful. No CA, like the stock lenses, and the 36-72 zoom is almost like the stock lens. The 300mm lens allows capture from quite a distance with quite a good quality image. In fact, the biggest problem is lens shake and atmospheric distortion. I bought the 36-72 for $15 US!! Amazing. Some people don't like the push/pull zoom feature, but, I have found it to be quite workeable, especially at that price.

Lee Roberts February 27th, 2009 02:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shaun Roemich (Post 1019347)
Then comes the inevitable "problem" of either renting beautiful primes or scouring "that online site whose name begins with e" and other online sources for that next "break the bank" purchase... Have I ever mentioned how much I love my addiction... I mean PROFESSION?

I hear ya....I own quite a few tele's and primes, so I won't have to spend any additional $$ on lenses (well, there's always that lens that I must have...but that's a different matter). I've dropped a lot of cash on lenses, and it's just silly that I'm not using them on my video cameras. Of course, I have two cams, so that's possibly two adapters.

From reading, I know I probably won't be sorry even if I purchase one of the more highly regarded (yet still inexpensive) PL mount solutions. As far as eTakeYourChances.com, I buy all of my plush animals for nieces and nephews there - I don't know that I'm comfortable with saving 10% on several thousand dollars worth of equipment, though. Maybe I'm just too 'old school' for my own good :)

Have a great weekend! ~ Lee