DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/jvc-gy-hd-series-camera-systems/)
-   -   Purchase Advice GY HD110 or GY-HM 100 or Sony (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/jvc-gy-hd-series-camera-systems/196580-purchase-advice-gy-hd110-gy-hm-100-sony.html)

Jason McCormy April 14th, 2009 09:38 AM

Purchase Advice GY HD110 or GY-HM 100 or Sony

Hi,

I'm currently using a JVC GY HD 200u for 720p segments meant for the internet. This is not high dollar work but the pay is ok. I, however, am constantly stressed about something happening to the camera as it would wreck the shoot and anger my clients and I have no backup. So, I'm looking for a backup. I have about 3000 to spend but would prefer to spend MUCH less as it is for a backup.

So, right now I'm shooting in 720p30 with the 200u for these segments. For the backup, I'm thinking about picking up the recently much lower priced GY HD110 but am a bit torn between picking up the GY-HM 100 when it becomes available later this month or a Sony Z1U or something similar.

Oh, and I need it to have the ability to output HDV live via firewire or USB.

What do you think? How do the image qualities compare to the GY HD200u? Any advice is GREATLY appreciated.

Thank you!

Jack Walker April 14th, 2009 10:42 AM

For a single-person operation, I'd consider a Canon HV30 or HV40 (June). They both have 30p out firewire, have excellent pictures, and are small.

Next choice would be a Canon XH-A1 (perhaps used) -- for its smaller size compared to the others you menteion and its proven reliability.

No one knows yet if the HM100 will have a good picture or be reliable. It may be excellent, but it is $3500.

Another consideration is theft and transport. The small Canon would be easy to carry around and to stow-away. All the other cameras could get stolen more easily and would be more attractive to thieves.

Anyway, not answers, just considerations.

Jason McCormy April 14th, 2009 01:15 PM

Thank you for the advice. I already have a Canon HV30 and love it, but, I do like looking like more of a stud with a bigger camera. There is something about it that does not inspire confidence in my client.

I see I can pick up a good condition, used, GY HD110 for about 1900. What do you think? A good deal or wasted money?

As for the Canon XH-A1, how does it compare to the Sony's? Oh, and can it do 720p?

Jack Walker April 14th, 2009 02:22 PM

I think the HD110 is an excellent camera (I have one), and it would let you use lenses and accessories you have for the HD200. If it's put away safe and you don't have to drag it around except in case you need it, it should be fine. I don't know what a fair price is. But for the web, the 110 is great... it has 60p and 50 in SD resolutions, plus the HDV 30p and 24p. Many believe the picture on the 110 is better (less noisy) than the 200 cameras.

However, to stay in the JVC ProHD family, the new HM100 may be a great addition, if it lives up to its press. It could be used as a backup, plus it would give you some shooting options you don't have now because of its size and and auto controls. (Plus it gaves you the SDHC tapeless option when you might need that.)

The XH-A1 does not do 720p. (The new model is XH-A1s, but shoots the same modes.)

Compared to the Sony Z1u, the Canon XH-A1 is superior for my use, and I think the Canon is the top of its class. The Canon is smaller and lighter than the Sony. However, which one is best for someone depends on the exact use, I suppose.

But I don't belive the Z1u is progressive... the V1u is.

The camera options for your use seem to be:
HD110
HM100
Canon XH-A1
Canon HV30

Bottom line, since you have an HV20 and could use that for an emergency backup if you had to, I look to add something to my capabilities.

The HM100 probably will give you the biggest expansion over your current options.

If you sometimes use two shooters and need two cameras, not just an extra one for a backup, the HD110 is a possibility.

Jason McCormy April 14th, 2009 02:36 PM

Thank you Jack.

Hmm, I love the form factor of the JVC GY HD series, I just don't know about buying another camera that has a firewire port I'm terrified of. But for the money, I would have a very capable camera in the 110, and all my accessories, filters, etc., with the probable exception of my Anton Bauer batteries would work with it. I never deliver in 1080, so 720p still is wonderful for me. Hmm. This is tough thinking.

But, as you point out, I perhaps should look to add to my capabilities, maybe not just duplicate. Ahh, I wish I could afford a new 700, but alas, my funds are limited.

Giuseppe Pugliese April 22nd, 2009 09:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jason McCormy (Post 1092775)
Thank you Jack.

Hmm, I love the form factor of the JVC GY HD series, I just don't know about buying another camera that has a firewire port I'm terrified of. But for the money, I would have a very capable camera in the 110, and all my accessories, filters, etc., with the probable exception of my Anton Bauer batteries would work with it. I never deliver in 1080, so 720p still is wonderful for me. Hmm. This is tough thinking.

But, as you point out, I perhaps should look to add to my capabilities, maybe not just duplicate. Ahh, I wish I could afford a new 700, but alas, my funds are limited.

Just in case you might be interested, pretty soon I will be selling my HD110 and it is in prefect condition with low hours.