DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/jvc-gy-hd-series-camera-systems/)
-   -   GY HD111E which mode to use (going back to basics) (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/jvc-gy-hd-series-camera-systems/235100-gy-hd111e-mode-use-going-back-basics.html)

Alex Wren May 11th, 2009 04:36 AM

GY HD111E which mode to use (going back to basics)

Hello,

I have the GY HD111 European model and have access to the following modes.

HDV - 720p/24, 720p/25, 720p/30, 576p/50 & 576p/25 (SD but recorded in HDV mode)
SD - 576i/50

I usually use the HDV 720p/25 for most things but am finding the slower frame rate to cause issues on some shots due to fast unavoidable movement.

As most of my stuff is for the web (but with random DVD requests) I wonder if I should either use SD - 576i/50 and de-interlace or consider using HDV - 576p/50. Problem being is that I cannot see a preset in Premiere to handle this.

Any thoughts.

Alex

Marc Colemont May 12th, 2009 08:35 AM

If most of your stuff is for the web, I see no real advantage in filming 50P or 60P.
As webformats (depending in the choices) are not higher then 30P in optimum condition.
I would not go for interlaced formats as it gives ugly results for the web due to the computer progressive displaying.

Alex Wren May 12th, 2009 09:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Marc Colemont (Post 1141833)
If most of your stuff is for the web, I see no real advantage in filming 50P or 60P.
As webformats (depending in the choices) are not higher then 30P in optimum condition.
I would not go for interlaced formats as it gives ugly results for the web due to the computer progressive displaying.

Thanks Marc,

I didn't think going interlaced was the best option. 30P is a thought, do you think the speed increase from 25P is enough to improve capture of faster movement? Out of interest will 30P be ok to make a PAL DVD or is that likely to cause problems.

Alex

Marc Colemont May 12th, 2009 05:30 PM

Then I would film in 25P if your final is PAL DVD.
I wouldn't worry to much about the judder, as some techniques help you avoiding it.
These are some guides I take for myself while shooting (after reading for example this forum and practicing).
When filming progressive, one has to take care about movements.
Either Pan slow or very fast. Anything in between will give you the 'judder'.
Avoid subjects to move across the image, but rather follow the subject which puts the focus on the person or object, rather then the background standing 'still' while a persons walks 'through' your picture. Preferable use a tripod as much as you can. If possible (during run and gun situations it's more difficult) make settings on your camera to be able to open the Iris as much as possible. Around 4 or a bit less. This will give you the possibility to focus your lens on the subject, while the background goes out of focus. With the 13x lens that goes much easier then with the 16x stock lens. As you need to zoom in, with the 13x you can get closer to your subject to get the effect.
It will make your footage much more 'filmic' and pleasant, were the people watching the video don't see the judder. As we cameraman do see it constantly as we focus our eyes on it, to see if we create the judder or not. Which is what we should do. The hard thing is that ones you know it exist (watch a film in the Cinema) you see it all the time. The people watching the footage which are following the story, very often don't see this judder at all. Hopes this helps in your choices for frame-rates.

Alex Wren May 13th, 2009 08:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Marc Colemont (Post 1142103)
Then I would film in 25P if your final is PAL DVD.
I wouldn't worry to much about the judder, as some techniques help you avoiding it.

Thanks again for the info.

I guess my 'judder' issues are not due to camera moves or lack of technique (well hopefully not!) but more to do with the movement within the frame (i.e. a violinists bow, or a spinning blade in a grinder), basically stuff mostly out of my control.

That's why I thought having a faster frame rate might help in these circumstances.

Alex