DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/jvc-gy-hd-series-camera-systems/)
-   -   Here They Come!!! (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/jvc-gy-hd-series-camera-systems/40968-here-they-come.html)

Jonathan Lee March 11th, 2005 07:58 PM

Here They Come!!!

Hello,
Just read the following from HD colleague;

From the net assume some of it is inaccurate.

JVC Previews NEW Pro HD Camera Specs to Select AVR Resellers

Model: GY-HD100U

SPECS

Approx 5lbs

Heavy Duty Magnesium Body

Shoulder Mount Balanced Light Height Camera

3 - 1/3" 1.1 Mega pixel CCDs

Interchangeable Lenses 1/3" - Stock options 16X and 13X Fuji

Recording: TRUE 720 24P, 720 30P, 480i,480P (1080i Playback)

DUAL MEDIA Mini DV Tape/ Option (Hard Drive)

Memory Stick

Camera Presets

Image Control - Including Cinema Gamma

Motion Smoothing Filter

Dual XLR

Component Out/Composite Out/ Fire Wire I/O

Flip Out LCD

Enhanced Focus

Monochrome Viewfinder

Data 19Mps

Shipping June 1, 2005
List Price <$10K with Lens

COMPANION DECK ALSO SHIPPING in June

Model Name: BR-HD50U
FULL and Mini DV Tape
Integrated Small LCD
Component Out
Fire Wire I/O
(Additional Specs TBA)

NEW HDV FORMAT ANNONCED!!!!

JVC PRO HD XE
Recording 720 24P,30P,60P,1080i
4 Channels Audio

First Product will be a 3 2/3" Camera with true 1080P CCDs
Higher Bit Rate
DUAL Media DV Tape/ Hard Drive
To Ship LATE 2005???

Chris Hurd March 12th, 2005 10:32 AM

Umm, Jonathan... see Sean Dinwoodie's original thread... talk about a circular series of events, heh.

Jonathan Lee March 12th, 2005 11:08 AM

Yes,Chris, I see what you mean! Oh well, must be a bit slower on the uptake over here!

Jonathan.

Jacques Star March 17th, 2005 01:56 PM

bye bye HDCAM?

So, what will happen now?

Will everyone want to save their money instead of buying a $48,000 Sony HDW730?

What would be the point of going HDCAM when you can get a comparable image for less than 10 grand?

be free with your thoughts on this...

Nate Weaver March 17th, 2005 02:03 PM

Who will pay for HDCAM?

The people where the budgets are high enough that the difference between a $400/day rental and a $1500/day rental is a fraction of a shooting days cost.

There ARE compromises with HDV. Is it a great format for low-budge people? Absolutely.

Jacques Star March 17th, 2005 02:07 PM

well said...

I've just recently begun to shoot HD, and all of my work has been with HDCAM.

That's why i'm waiting, renting, and seeing what the highest demand HD format from my clients is.

Based on this, I will buy the format camera that is in the highest demand from the clients that I work with.

Whatever the client wants.

Chris Hurd March 17th, 2005 05:33 PM

At the HDV press conference back in Nov., Sony told me that they expected HDV, HDCAM and HDCAM-SR all to peacefully coexsist in a vertical stratification. Do not think of it as "HDV vs. HDCAM" because this is not the case. HDCAM is at a tier above HDV.

Bill Pryor March 17th, 2005 08:22 PM

Yep, and all HD cams at this point are 2/3" chip cameras. Regardless of the format, this new camera is a 1/3" chip camera. Nothing wrong with that, but it's counterproductive to compare it to any 2/3" chip HD camera

Jacques Star March 17th, 2005 10:18 PM

good point

That's true.

The largest chipped camera I own is the 1/2 inch DSR390.

It works just fine for what I do, which is mostly freelance network news, reality TV, and corporates and industrials.

However, if I ever upgrade to a 2/3rd inch chip camera, It will be HD simply because it will be the standard format for the next 15 years.

I've been shooting for a little over five years, and I've been freelancing for a little over two. I've only gotten the ball rolling just now as to where i'm consistentley freelancing. I'm getting some staff job offers, though, so the need to buy more gear may stop for a while, if I take a staff job.

The sad thing is that now I will have to decide as to whether I want to stay freelance, or go staff. The big question is: i'm pretty busy now freelancing, will it continue to be this way? If I take the staff job, i've got a steady paycheck, but limited money available, as opposed to the unlimited earning potential of being a freelancer.

I decided that if the job base $12.00 per hour or more and is full-time, i'll take the staff job.

Jacques Star March 17th, 2005 10:20 PM

actually...

I take that back...

at least $15 dollars per hour!

Bill Pryor March 18th, 2005 09:30 AM

You can usually make more money freelancing, but there will always be ups and downs. One small business guy once said that if you want to bill 50 percent of your time you will have to work 100 percent of the time. I've always found that to be true. However, to be free of the constraints of Corporate America, it's usually worth it.

Hmmm...as far as HD lasting for 15 years...Betacam SP lasted about 15 years as an acquisition format, so why not HD. It could happen. I sort of doubt it the way things seem to be these days. But it could happen.

Kaspar Stromme March 18th, 2005 02:49 PM

Re: Here They Come!!!

<<<-- Originally posted by Jonathan Lee : Hello,
<--SNIP-->
NEW HDV FORMAT ANNONCED!!!!

JVC PRO HD XE
Recording 720 24P,30P,60P,1080i
4 Channels Audio

First Product will be a 3 2/3" Camera with true 1080P CCDs
Higher Bit Rate
DUAL Media DV Tape/ Hard Drive
To Ship LATE 2005??? -->>>

So no one's touched this last part of the announcement, was it already beaten to death in another thread? If they really intruduce this higher bitrate HD XE format and put it in a sub-$5K camera that would be really cool...

Michael Struthers March 18th, 2005 03:03 PM

The rumor is JVC will pump out an HDV camera with a codec that is 19meg per second now, and a 50 meg per second codec later.

Don't know who is going to support these.

Barry Green March 18th, 2005 10:22 PM

There will be at least two different cameras. That second camera is likely to cost $20,000, not $5,000. They'd previously announced that they would be producing a 2/3" camera at the $20,000 price point, and this announcement sounds like it would be applicable to that camera.