DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/jvc-gy-hd-series-camera-systems/)
-   -   JVC Midwest AVR Reseller Preview of GY-HD100... (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/jvc-gy-hd-series-camera-systems/41128-jvc-midwest-avr-reseller-preview-gy-hd100.html)

Ben W. Williams March 14th, 2005 03:58 PM

JVC Midwest AVR Reseller Preview of GY-HD100...

Last week in Chicago, JVC held it's second preview and feedback session with select resellers regarding the forthcoming GY-HD100, BR-HD50U, and ProHD EX.

As an AVR in Dallas I was lucky enough to be one of the few invited to participate.

It is clear that JVC fully intends to continue with its goal of "changing the game" in digital video.

Over the next year, as most of you know, JVC will bring a handful of new products to the video market. GY HD100, BR HD50U, ProHD EX...

It was nice to see that JVC is aggressively seeking feedback from end users, broadcasters, filmmakers, and AVRs. This will greatly aid them in being successful in their established markets and moving into new markets. 2005 should be a breakout year for the HDV format and products.

It appears JVC has a good handle on what it will take to be successful with HDV... non proprietary technology and media, realistic paths to HDV, workflow orientated, and effiecent bandwidth.

It is estimated that there will be approximately 35 millions HD displays in the market by the end of 2005... the timing looks good for new HDV products.

I am sure most of you have an idea by now of the basics regarding specs and pricing of the HD100 so I won't go into it.

It is worth noting that JVC will focus on native progresive formats with interlaced playback as an option while Sony has focused on interlaced primarily. The HD100 seems to be targeted towards the creative video professional. It appears as though it could also work well in the broadcast world. We'll have to wait and see what final changes are made but as mentioned before they are aggressively seeking feedback from professionals all of the video industry.

JVC is stressing the professionalism of HDV in the coming months and year. It is clear that JVC desires to define the next generation of HDV products as "ProHD" - compatable with HDV but not necessaruly limited as such. In professionalizing HDV, it appears the following issues will be stressed

1) development from the ground up as a professional camera rather than a consumer remake
2) no consumer models versions available at all
3) professional features, control, and support
4) DTE and dual media integration
5) future RAM disc media for distribution

The look and feel of the GY-HD100 is slightly different than expected. I think a lot of us expected the next HDV camera from JVC to be very similar to the 5000. It is in some ways but it also has a very distinct feeling, look, and function all its own.

The coming months will be very exciting. More and more third party support is becoming available everyday. It is clear HDV is here to stay. This is not M2.

Congratulations to JVC on what looks to be an excellent new product and plan. Here to getting into end users hands ASAP.
See you at NAB

Glenn Gipson March 15th, 2005 07:27 AM

If JVC could somehow put a Cinemascope-effect on their upcoming 1080 24p camera, then they would have a real winner with the indie market.

Chris Hurd March 15th, 2005 07:44 AM

Thanks for the report, Ben!

Murad Toor March 16th, 2005 06:17 PM

<<<-- Originally posted by Glenn Gipson : If JVC could somehow put a Cinemascope-effect on their upcoming 1080 24p camera, then they would have a real winner with the indie market. -->>>

That shouldn't be too big of a "stretch" to apply in post. (pun intended).

Aaron Shaw March 16th, 2005 07:18 PM

With so many 16:9 cameras coming out now I wonder if NLEs will begin to support a 2.35 file natively. It would certainly be cool!

Yohann Kouam March 17th, 2005 05:08 AM

what about the chips?? 1/2 or 1/3??

Glenn Gipson March 17th, 2005 06:34 AM

<<<-- Originally posted by Murad Toor : <<<-- Originally posted by Glenn Gipson : If JVC could somehow put a Cinemascope-effect on their upcoming 1080 24p camera, then they would have a real winner with the indie market. -->>>

That shouldn't be too big of a "stretch" to apply in post. (pun intended). -->>>

Wait a minute....doesn't one only have to add a 16:9 Adapter to a 16:9 camera to get Cinemascope?

Kevin Dooley March 17th, 2005 07:13 AM

Pretty much... I think it actually comes out to 2.21:1, but hell, that's close enough I'd say. Otherwise you're looking at a lot of work to get actual 2.4:1

Ben W. Williams March 17th, 2005 08:31 AM

<<<-- Originally posted by Yohann Kouam : what about the chips?? 1/2 or 1/3?? -->>>

1/3" on the GY-HD100

Heath McKnight March 17th, 2005 12:01 PM

www.hdvinfo.net

heath