DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/jvc-gy-hd-series-camera-systems/)
-   -   Dead pixel is... undead...zombie pixel? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/jvc-gy-hd-series-camera-systems/414210-dead-pixel-undead-zombie-pixel.html)

Burk Webb September 18th, 2009 10:58 PM

Dead pixel is... undead...zombie pixel?

Help. I've got a dead pixel that refuses to be "killed" by the JVC "dead pixel menu service thing"

I've run the process 3 times and it still won't kill this sucker. It's always worked fine in the past but this one... keeps rising from the dead. And of course it is dead center...

I've left the camera on for hours, wrapped it in a jacket, gained up to 18....

I don't think I have filled the "fixed pixel memory". Is their some kind of indication that the memory is full?

More info: I can see it at 0db but it does not show up against a black background. I seem to recall most dead pixels being white. I'm wondering if it's only "mostly dead"...

Any tips?

Kaushik Parmar September 19th, 2009 09:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Burk Webb (Post 1371162)
Help. I've got a dead pixel that refuses to be "killed" by the JVC "dead pixel menu service thing"

I've run the process 3 times and it still won't kill this sucker. It's always worked fine in the past but this one... keeps rising from the dead. And of course it is dead center...

I don't think I have filled the "fixed pixel memory". Is their some kind of indication that the memory is full?

More info: I can see it at 0db but it does not show up against a black background. I seem to recall most dead pixels being white. I'm wondering if it's only "mostly dead"...

Any tips?

Hi!

Recently my HD7 got one dead pixel, after use of two years. I was so much disappointed, its clearly visible, its unfortunet! It disapears some time, but it is there still. I do not know how we can deal with dead pixel, I guess maybe some editing software can help do someting!

Please if someone know solution please write here.

Thanks,

Alex Humphrey September 19th, 2009 11:34 AM

I do not believe the HD7 line had any user controls to mask the dead pixels. Might want to contact JVC service and ask. As far in post you can mask and lay it over your video. Easiest way is to get the camera heated up, (leave on for at least 15 minutes) preferrably on a hot day, put the lens cap on, record some footage. capture. do a frame grab. export as a jpg or pic or what ever. Import into photoshop. Copy the image and make a new image so the bottom layer is clear. Now create a 3rd layer and cover up the offending pixel on the new layer with a color brush... hide (unklick) the 2nd layer. export or save as a png, psd or other format that retains layers and clear data without turning it white like a jpg. IMport into your NLE. place on top of your video and stretch it over your scenes. Adjust color and brightness of that layer as your scenes change. Not impossible, just annoying. It's funny. I often see green dead pixels on various HD channels shot with Sony XDcam and other $30k-$60k cameras and they don't bother to hide the pixel in post. Hopefully that made sense. 3 grande coffees and no breakfast here, so i may have skipped a step or not explained it well.....

Enzo Giobbé September 19th, 2009 03:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Burk Webb (Post 1371162)

Any tips?

It might be a "stuck" pixel (think "Twinkle, twinkle little star"). Stuck pixels can't be masked by the JVC masking program. Good/bad news is that it will (most likely) eventually die, and then it can be masked.

Burk Webb September 23rd, 2009 06:01 PM

Thanks for the replies folks, I guess I'll keep trying. The stuck pixel idea sounds like it's in the right ballpark.

David Allen Smith September 23rd, 2009 08:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kaushik Parmar (Post 1372667)
Hi!

Recently my HD7 got one dead pixel, after use of two years. I was so much disappointed, its clearly visible, its unfortunet! It disapears some time, but it is there still. I do not know how we can deal with dead pixel, I guess maybe some editing software can help do someting!

Please if someone know solution please write here.

Thanks,

I use final cut pro and found an excellent plug-in that works great. Google dead pixel repair plug-in and whatever editing software you are using and you should find a plug-in that will work.

Steve Oakley September 27th, 2009 11:50 PM

BorisFX has a Pixel Fixer plug as part of their BCC filter set. the filter has 10 fixers available. works perfect for the job. once you have it setup on one clip, just dupe it onto all the other clips that are problems.

Enzo Giobbé September 30th, 2009 03:13 PM

Zombie pixel.

Burk, I love that term!

From now on, I will forever call a stuck pixel, a "zombie pixel (c) Burk Webb".

John Vincent October 2nd, 2009 02:42 PM

Could be one other - scarier - possibility: The jvc can only effectively mask pixels only so many times, then it won't do again.

Not sure what the number is (there was a thread directly on point but I can't find it).

Bottom line, don't use the masking sequence more than you have to.

john

Burk Webb October 3rd, 2009 01:56 AM

Just an update. After turning the camera off and letting it rest for the night my "zombie pixel" seems to have crawled back to the grave.... at least at zero db gain.

Glad you like the term Enzo :)

The pixel fix memory being full is my main concern. I don't think I've overused it, but I have used this camera a bunch and have fixed a dead pixel or three in that time. I'll see what happens over the next week.