DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/jvc-gy-hd-series-camera-systems/)
-   -   Another HD100 pic (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/jvc-gy-hd-series-camera-systems/41651-another-hd100-pic.html)

Nate Weaver March 22nd, 2005 10:42 PM

Another HD100 pic

Courtesy of Bob Hudson:

http://www.digitaltelevision.com/prohd.jpg

Chris Hurd March 22nd, 2005 11:28 PM

Wow! Big and juicy.

Christopher C. Murphy March 23rd, 2005 09:40 AM

To use Paris Hilton's trademark phrase:

"That's hot."

John Sandel March 23rd, 2005 10:44 AM

Cool!

Hmmm, they misspelled "assist." I hope it's a prototype.

In perspective, those rods beneath the lens look closer together than 60mm. I assume JVC has not invented some kooky proprietary design.

Darrell Essex March 23rd, 2005 11:02 AM

Nate, what's you thoughts on this camera and spec's?
Darrell
FIRST CINEMA PICTURES

Chris Hurd March 23rd, 2005 11:09 AM

I wouldn't sweat the misspelling. The camera in this photo is most likely a pre-production sample. I'm sure they'll work out these minor details prior to its shipping date.

John Sandel March 23rd, 2005 01:04 PM

Speaking of focus asist, is that a name for peaking, as in Canon's FU-1000 viewfinder?

Is this common on LCDs? Is it as useful there as on CRTs? The DVX100 has an LCD in its eyepiece-viewfinder, no?

Tim Le March 23rd, 2005 01:05 PM

Is it just me or does it seem like some of the labels were applied in Photoshop? Still, a nice looking camera but it definitely needs a counterweight in the back like an A/B battery or a hard disc.

Barry Green March 23rd, 2005 01:45 PM

Focus Assist wouldn't be peaking, because there's already peaking listed under the viewfinder.

Focus Assist, as applied to the Sony Z1, means that the camera has autofocus and you can move the manual focus ring even when the camera's in autofocus mode, to "assist" the autofocus system.

On the DVX, Focus Assist means the camera runs autofocus in 24P/30P modes, but it's much slower to respond because of the slow refresh rate of the CCD. Same as with the XL2, although I don't know if the XL2 uses the term "focus assist".

So, what Focus Assist on the JVC means is... well, we don't know, have to ask JVC on that one. Since the camera is 24p/30p, and since the parent company of JVC is also the parent company of Panasonic, it's possible that "focus assist" carries the same meaning as applied by the DVX, meaning that it's a version of autofocus.

Patrick Jenkins March 23rd, 2005 02:00 PM

<<<-- Originally posted by Tim N Le : Is it just me or does it seem like some of the labels were applied in Photoshop? Still, a nice looking camera but it definitely needs a counterweight in the back like an A/B battery or a hard disc. -->>>

It's not a real camera, it's a 3d rendering.

Harrison Murchison March 23rd, 2005 02:00 PM

We'll cut'em some slack on the misspelling. Sony's prototype HDV camera once had "High Definision" on it. LOL

Tim Le March 23rd, 2005 02:13 PM

Looks like a real camera to me.

Just my speculation, but Focus Assist is probably where the camera automatically goes to full open iris and/or enlarges a portion of the viewfinder image so that you can check focus better. Sony had or has a similar feature on their DSR line but they called it "EZ Focus" or something like that.

It seems clear to me this camera is manual focus only with a servo zoom.

John Jay March 23rd, 2005 02:15 PM

is this a 1/2" CCD cam?,

I ask because 7.3mm at the wide end isnt much use on a 1/3"

Chris Hurd March 23rd, 2005 02:50 PM

It's a 1/3rd-inch camera. There will be a second lens available for wide-angle work; it's a 13x zoom with 3.5mm at the wide end to 45.5mm at full telephoto. And that would be the lens I'd want.

Patrick Jenkins March 23rd, 2005 02:51 PM

<<<-- Originally posted by Tim N Le : Looks like a real camera to me.

Just my speculation, but Focus Assist is probably where the camera automatically goes to full open iris and/or enlarges a portion of the viewfinder image so that you can check focus better. Sony had or has a similar feature on their DSR line but they called it "EZ Focus" or something like that.

It seems clear to me this camera is manual focus only with a servo zoom. -->>>

It could be real.. but the specular highlighting on the viewfinder, body and parts of the lens/shade looks a lot like a standard blinn shading. If you have photoshop or Gimp or some other paint program, flood fill all of the solid white areas with solid black and see if it still looks real or 3d/cg.

$.02

Either way, looks like a good cam!

(1/3" CCD iirc)

John Terendy March 23rd, 2005 03:43 PM

Interesting picture. It's also interesting that on the camera body it says
"DV" and not "Mini-DV". Is this just a mock-up/temp thing, or will this camera actually accept a full-size DV cassette? Perhaps there is going to be a new size HDV cassette?

Murad Toor March 23rd, 2005 03:50 PM

HD100 wallpapers

I fixed the misspelling and made two desktop wallpapers out of the image.

One will fill up your 30" Cinema Display and the other will fill up your 23".

http://homepage.mac.com/tvwriter/.Pictures/DV_Info_Net/JVCHD100_2560x1600.jpg

http://homepage.mac.com/tvwriter/.Pictures/DV_Info_Net/JVCHD100_1920x1200.jpg

Heath McKnight March 23rd, 2005 04:02 PM

I took a good hard look at it, and realized, YES, it does need a brick on the back to keep it balanced!

Also, that little padded speaker, is that for my mp3s of Radiohead and Franz Ferdinand to come streaming out while I shoot? <g>

heath

Barry Green March 23rd, 2005 04:08 PM

Quote:

That could very well be it too. I think my old Beaulieu 6008 had something similar to that -- you hold down the button and the lens automatically zooms to full telephoto and opens the iris to maximum wide open, so you can establish critical focus; then when you release it it goes back to the settings you had.

Perhaps that's what this camera does? That'd be a nice feature.

Joe Carney March 23rd, 2005 04:27 PM

>>Also, that little padded speaker, is that for my mp3s of Radiohead and Franz Ferdinand to come streaming out while I shoot? <g>
<<
I heard universal translator/lie detector based on recently acquired Vulcan technology.
They field tested it with Celebrities and Politicians and it was 100% accurate.
Everything they said, no matter the language, was translated to the word 'B#LLSH#T'. This new high tech feature will be especially useful to the ENG crowd.
Yet another inovation from JVC. hehehehe
(just kidding folks).

Chris Hurd March 23rd, 2005 04:34 PM

<< I fixed the misspelling and made two desktop wallpapers out of the image. >>

Nice work, Murad!

By the way for those interested, I really don't think those are built-in rails at the lower front of the camera body. I'm betting those are sliders for the shoulder support -- it can probably be adjusted forward and backward by an inch or two or three.

Heath McKnight March 23rd, 2005 04:43 PM

Joe,

FUNNY!

Chris,

What were the misspellings? I'm guessing the camera is a prototype with Photoshopped stickers, etc., put on, since the prototype might not have it.

heath

John Sandel March 23rd, 2005 04:50 PM

It was me, Heath--I saw the word "ASIST" on the photo & couldn't resist mentioning it.

Chris, I suspect you're right about the silver rods.

John Sandel March 23rd, 2005 05:11 PM

Tim Le & Barry Green are right

See here for a description of the Focus Assist function:

"A patented 'focus assist' function exaggerates detail in the viewfinder to facilitate focusing."

Luis Caffesse March 23rd, 2005 05:27 PM

"I really don't think those are built-in rails at the lower front of the camera body"

Jeez, 720P24fps with uncompressed audio, hard drive support, removable lens, and uncompressed 720P60 outputs....but you're telling me it has NO bulit in rails???

How do they expect to sell this piece of junk!
:)

Obvoiusly I'm kidding.
In all seriousness I really was looking forward to the built in rails...but you're probably right chris, that makes a lot more sense.

At least we still have that satellite uplink module for wireless internet streaming that most people seem to have mistaken for a headphone.
(yes guys, that's a joke)
:)

Kurth Bousman March 23rd, 2005 05:40 PM

Chris and Luis - I disagree about the rails . No. 1- there's no straight line between the rails and the shoulderpad . That would require some more complex mech - like a cam or gear to move the pad when if one wanted a rail just for the pad , it would be on the same height and you can't see the rails continuing thru to the pad. I bet it's rails - temps just to fill the holes . A mechanical designers' for what it's worth one penny guess. Kurth

Tim Le March 23rd, 2005 06:15 PM

The new photo from the Videosystems article makes it seems that those are not rails. The diameter of those rods in that picture look way too small and they're way too low to the bottom of the camera. It beats me what they're for, but they sure don't look like standard 15mm rods to me.

Luis Caffesse March 23rd, 2005 06:29 PM

On the CML list, someone has posted the following information from a JVC rep:

" will incorporate the use rods that will enable a variety of follow focus and matte box configurations to be applied."

You got me as to whether or not it's true.
Perhaps we could have some JVC folks help us out here?

Here is the link to the CML HDV forum posting
There's some good info in there.

Chris Hurd March 23rd, 2005 06:37 PM

CML requires a log-in, but I too saw that initial message from Taylor Wigton, I suppose I can approach him and see if I can talk him into posting here directly.

Luis Caffesse March 23rd, 2005 06:42 PM

Oh ... yeah, sorry about that Chris.
I didn't even think about it.

Perhaps you could ask Taylor for permission to reprint his post on DVinfo? (or at least the relevant portions?)

Jimmy McKenzie March 23rd, 2005 07:23 PM

rods ...

So here we have the first accessory line that truly unanswers the bell for the indie producer looking for a turnkey bundle of proprietary goodies that are not in the aftermarket. A new spec for the diameter and spacing will only accept their matte box, filters and flags. Tiffen would be more than happy to private label that one. At a relatively low production run, the aftermarket will be slow if not uninterested in development.

Toyota are masters at this. Try finding Echo parts in the public domain. It's their little experiment to thwart the white box producers. Profit, not cashflow, funds innovation.

Nate Weaver March 23rd, 2005 08:16 PM

<<<-- Originally posted by Darrell Essex : Nate, what's you thoughts on this camera and spec's?
Darrell
FIRST CINEMA PICTURES -->>>

Well, I put money down on one...does that tell you?

As info is leaking out slowly, I have yet to find issue with anything...no deal killers.

Sean Dinwoodie March 23rd, 2005 10:27 PM

<<<-- Originally posted by Chris Hurd : << I fixed the misspelling and made two desktop wallpapers out of the image. >>

Nice work, Murad!

By the way for those interested, I really don't think those are built-in rails at the lower front of the camera body. I'm betting those are sliders for the shoulder support -- it can probably be adjusted forward and backward by an inch or two or three. -->>>

They are just rods for blanceing the camera.

Sean Dinwoodie March 23rd, 2005 10:30 PM

Focus Assist exagerates the detail in the viewfinder.

John Sandel March 23rd, 2005 10:46 PM

Sean, how do the rods balance the camera?

Sean Dinwoodie March 25th, 2005 12:50 AM

The rods prevent the camera from leaning over on to the lens. Yes the camera is slightly front heavy, but not enough to be trouble some for your wrist.

John Sandel March 25th, 2005 01:21 AM

Hah! here I was picturing all manner of weird counterbalancing contraptions ...

Filip Kovcin March 25th, 2005 01:43 AM

rods again

well, if another things are photoshoped, maybe is possible to "suggest" to JVC also longer rods, in that case - real follow focus will fit easily.
is someone cappable to extract the lenght of pictured rods? and maybe to put follow focus also?
hm...

filip

Chris Hurd March 25th, 2005 09:51 AM

<< The rods prevent the camera from leaning over on to the lens. >>

Okay, now I get it -- kind of like a kickstand for a motorcycle.

Robert Shuster March 25th, 2005 12:22 PM

Follow focuses and matteboxes

At the AVR show I asked about a QR plate ala VCT-U14 with a Chroizel 401-55 kinda thing. JVC didn't have any immediate plans to incorporate a rod mount, though I feel an accessory of this type will be popular. Right now, the bottom of the camcorder has only a 1/4in thread mount and a VHS alignment spud (subject to change). With all the stuff I anticipate hanging on this guy (Anton/Bauer gold mount adapter, extended viewfinder, ff, mattebox, 6in TransVideo on a dogbone, a couple of wireless, a coffee maker, etc.) I hope some NC maven comes to market with a heavy duty support system. Titanium, please.