DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/jvc-gy-hd-series-camera-systems/)
-   -   Some new info and other angle (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/jvc-gy-hd-series-camera-systems/42210-some-new-info-other-angle.html)

Don Crockett April 3rd, 2005 12:06 PM

JVC GY-HD100 estimated dimensions

I think it's possible to estimate the dimensions by using the miniDV cassette compartment as a reference.

The XL1 has a compartment that is 3.5 inches in width. If we assume that the HD100 has a compartment of roughly the same width, you get the following estimated dimensions from the 4th camera photo at the above link:

Length with lens including hood: 16.0 inches
Length from back of camera to front of lens mount: 9.25 inches
Height to top of microphone mount: 8.5 inches

It looks like you'd have to add some length for the battery and optional disk drive.

Assuming my estimates aren't flawed, this would make it smaller than the XL2 (19.5 x 8.7 inches)!

Sweet!

Don

Don Crockett April 3rd, 2005 12:24 PM

JVC GY-HD100 price mentioned

Hadn't seen anyone mention price yet.

The above link mentions a price of 6,000 euros ~ $7,725US.

That includes the lens. Not sure if that includes a battery or mic? They mention a shotgun mic as one of the accessories along with the wide-angle lens, hard disk module, & quick release tripod plate.

Don

Barry Green April 4th, 2005 02:28 PM

I think the "smaller than the XL2" guess is probably right. Someone on DVXUser made some comparison photos by using the XLR connectors as a guide, resizing the pictures so that the 3-pin XLR was the same in both the DVX and HD100 pictures. The result was that the JVC was a little bigger than the DVX, but not much.

I think people who are expecting a shoulder-mount camera are going to be surprised by just how small the JVC is. But for those who want a shoulder-mount camera without needing a chiropractor, they'll probably be delighted with the size.

Dave Ferdinand April 4th, 2005 03:17 PM

Maybe this is just about right?

HD100U vs XL2

Just a simple mock-up I did, but might be kinda close.

Ton Guiking April 4th, 2005 04:02 PM

"I think people who are expecting a shoulder-mount camera are going to be surprised by just how small the JVC is. But for those who want a shoulder-mount camera without needing a chiropractor, they'll probably be delighted with the size."

Mmm, really interesting camera. But the form factor doesn't convince me, from what I see in the pictures. I suspect the camera to be very front heavy. The shoulder rest is strongly to the back, the lens is quite heavy, so....

It does remind me in some sense to that Panasonic 'hybrid' camera AGDV10 or so (citing by heart). That one, BTW, has a remarkebly good balance.

Best,
Ton Guiking
(I wanted to subscribe, but apparently was already a member...Can't remember, but OK, here I am (again?).

Shannon Rawls April 5th, 2005 12:42 AM

I thinki it's one of the best "LOOKING" small form-factor cameras I have ever seen! *smile*

I wonder how the 24p editting is going to work on programs like VEGAS. This cameras seems like the most promising camera for Indei's considering the lens revoving and the 24p....Panasonic WOULD...BUT... the P2 issue is unescaping.

- ShannonRawls.com

Ton Guiking April 5th, 2005 12:51 AM

ShannonRawls.com wrote:

"I wonder how the 24p editting is going to work on programs like VEGAS. This cameras seems like the most promising camera for Indei's considering the lens revoving and the 24p....Panasonic WOULD...BUT... the P2 issue is unescaping."

The upcoming Panasonic also seems to be able to record on tape. (BTW, I was talking in my mail about an older Pana camera).
A camera with only expensive solid state memory has, at this moment, no other chances than the newsgathering broadcast world, I think.

FWIW,
Ton Guiking

Bill Pryor April 5th, 2005 02:55 PM

I read on the boards someplace that it will record HD only to P2 but will record DV to tape. Of course, the camera hasn't been released yet and the NAB version is reputed to be only a prototype, so who the heck knows for sure.

For my purposes P2 won't work at this time, even if they throw in some hard drives for the price of a P2 card. A hundred gig hard drive only holds less than 10 hours of DV compression tape. And then if you consider hard drives to be rather unstable as compared to tape, you'd want to back those up to additional drives. Not to mention the hassle of doing that on location. But for a TV station, P2 is wonderful, I think. That probably is going to be Panasonic's major marketing push in this area.

Of course, if the prices of the P2 cards drops down so you can get 3 hours of recording time for 60 bucks or so, then that's another story entirely. I wouldn't mind at all being able to store all my original footage in a children's shoe box instead of the plethora of big file boxes I have now.

Steven-Marc Couchouron April 8th, 2005 07:28 PM

BTW, the official press release for the GY-HD100E can be found here:
http://www.jvcpro.co.uk/news/releases_html?atype=release&releaseID=1192

The pricing at "under 6000 €" is very good news !