DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/jvc-gy-hd-series-camera-systems/)
-   -   Wired Remote Control? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/jvc-gy-hd-series-camera-systems/43736-wired-remote-control.html)

Luis Otero April 28th, 2005 10:06 PM

Wired Remote Control?

I am interested to know if the HD100 would have any type of wired remote control, such as LANC, etc. Is there any reference to this topic in any of the published specs from JVC?

Luis

Chris Hurd April 28th, 2005 10:33 PM

Hi Luis,

This will be one of the best features of the HD100. But it doesn't have LANC, nor does it need it.

The HD100 uses interchangeable Fujinon broadcast video lenses. All such Fuji lenses come "pre-wired" for remote zoom control. There's a small 8-pin jack on the bottom of the lens hand grip. The 8-pin configuration is standard and common to all Fuji broadcast video lenses, whether they're made for 1/3" or 1/2" or 2/3" lens mounts. There are a variety of zoom controllers that plug into this 8-pin connector, such as Fujinon, MicroForce, Zoe and VariZoom. Here's a VariZoom product page which shows you what one of their Fuji zoom controllers look like:

http://www.varizoom.com/controllers/pgf.php

Canon uses a similar 8-pin connector for their broadcast video lenses, but with a slightly different pin-out configuration. In fact you can use a Canon lens controller on a Fuji lens if you have the proper cross-over cable to force compatibility.

Typically a zoom controller mounts on a tripod's right pan handle.

A focus controller for a broadcast video lens like the HD100 uses is a separate item. A focus controller is usually mounted on a tripod's left pan handle. There's a teleflex cable which goes from the controller up to the focus ring on the lens, where a controller block mounts on the lens barrel. This provides an interface for a mechanical gear on the controller block to mesh with the focus ring on the lens. And again, all such lenses come from the factory pre-drilled for a focus controller block, so there's no modification required. Just plug it in, screw it on and it works. You can take a look at a focus controller here, again from VariZoom:

http://www.varizoom.com/controllers/fcf.php

Focus controllers start at about $500. Zoom controllers run about $400 to $500. The prices go up from there, but if you're shooting on a tripod then they're well worth having.

Remember these are "real" lenses on the HD100, that is, professional broadcast video lenses made to industry standards, so there's no LANC involved but there are a wide variety of zoom and focus controllers to choose from. Hope this helps,

Luis Otero April 28th, 2005 10:54 PM

Chris,

I was just browsing the Varizoom website investigating this when I got the email reporting your posting. I more or less figure that two independent controllers would be needed, based on the website, but your thorough explanation put everything together for me. Thanks a lot. Before the HD10 I had the PD150, so I was used to the LANC (Zoe brand), so I miss it a lot when I migrated to the HD10.

However, in another posting in this forum somebody mentioned that the HD10 has some type of connector that I was not aware of (just in front of the firewire area; you need to unscrew the lid to uncover it). Do you know if there is any kind of controller available now for that interace? I tried without succsess to dig into the JVC and other web sites, but nothing came clear as to its availability and functionality. The only thing I got is that a cable can be used to connect the camera to a computer for VTR functions. Can you shed some light on this area?

Thanks,

Luis

Chris Hurd April 28th, 2005 11:12 PM

What I can tell you Luis is that there is a small add-on accessory for the HD100 which is a tiny zoom controller that attaches to the top grip handle of the camera. I'll have some photos of this online early next week. But this little controller would plug into the 8-pin connector on the lens which I mentioned earlier. Besides, I thought the FireWire jack was all the way at the rear of the camera, on the right side behind the tape transport. There's a Line Output jack and a DC Input jack nearby at this location.

Luis Otero April 28th, 2005 11:19 PM

Chris,

In the HD10, at the left of the firewire conection, cover also by the plastic lid, there is a second metalic lid secured with a screw that covers the connection that I am talking about (something like JLIMP?, as I recall somebody calling it).

Luis

Luis Otero April 28th, 2005 11:39 PM

Chris,

Correction: it is JLIP controler (Joint Level Interface Protocol). If you search in the JVC site or in yahoo.com it will show up with some explanations, but do not answer the initial question: does it work for controlling the HD10 functions? This website from Pinnacle talks something about JLIP: http://www.pinnaclesys.com/support/H...TMLPages_ID=41

Luis

Chris Hurd April 28th, 2005 11:50 PM

My apologies, Luis, I confused HD10 with HD100.

Yes, the JLIP interface on the HD10 is for external control of the camera as an editing deck.

Luis Otero April 28th, 2005 11:59 PM

Chris,

Thanks for the clarification. For a moment I thought I was crazyer than I normally am... On the other hand, it is disapointing to know that it cannot be used as a controller similar to LANC...*sad face* Maybe somebody can create a modified one, or an interface to use it as such (hopes, hopes, and more hopes) *crazy/frenetic face*.

Luis

K. Forman June 16th, 2006 10:48 PM

Yo, Chris- Since we're on the subject of controllers for the HD100... Back like 5 years ago, when the XL1s hadn't been out too long, I did a medical conference using someones JVC Gy500 maybe? Anyways, I seem to remember they had a single control unit, with a zoom rocker and a throttle style focus. This sound familiar to you?

Enzo Giobbé June 18th, 2006 01:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Luis Otero
I am interested to know if the HD100 would have any type of wired remote control, such as LANC, etc. Is there any reference to this topic in any of the published specs from JVC?
Luis

Luis, in addition to the excellent suggestions Chris already made, you might want to look at the Libec ZC-9Pro unit. It's unique in that just by using a switch, it will work on both Fujinon AND Canon 8 pin pro zoom lenses. And, it is a lot cheaper, less cumbersome and more compact than the other one lens dedicated units mentioned.

It's what I have been using for the last year or so on all my video cams and I really like it. You can also mount it to the handle of the HD100, as well as the vest brace arm of a Steadicam. Great all around multi lens unit.

Here is a photo page of the device hooked up to one of my HD100 cams with a link to the Japanese manufacturer's Web site. I bought mine in Japan, but I'm pretty sure they are available here as well.

http://www.enzogiobbe.com/libec.html