DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/jvc-gy-hd-series-camera-systems/)
-   -   Capturing from a JVC GY-HD110 in Vegas (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/jvc-gy-hd-series-camera-systems/488560-capturing-jvc-gy-hd110-vegas.html)

Phil Gosselin December 7th, 2010 05:04 AM

Capturing from a JVC GY-HD110 in Vegas

Hi all,

Don't want to double post but I thought since you may have this particular model maybe one of you ran into his issue at one point and found a solution. Here's the original post in the Vegas sub-forum

http://www.dvinfo.net/forum/what-hap...-gy-hd110.html

Thanks,

Phil

Adam Letch December 7th, 2010 06:55 PM

firewire mode

have you checked the firewire output selector is on the correct format, either hdv or dv? Make sure only to switch it when power is off, and you know not to hotswap the firewire as well.

Sareesh Sudhakaran December 7th, 2010 10:07 PM

If your camera is being detected and can be 'controlled', then it's not a firewire issue.

Have you tried different tapes (rewind and forward)? Are you recording live? If not, have you tried recording directly to tape and disk at the same time? What system are you recording to? Otherwise is the camera in working condition? How long does the capture process last? Do you always have to stop it manually or does it crash automatically? Have you tried leaving it on for a few minutes?

Hope these questions help to get you started.

Phil Gosselin December 8th, 2010 03:19 PM

Hi Sareesh,

So one by one:

Have you tried different tapes (rewind and forward)? = Yes and it is still the same result

Are you recording live? = No

If not, have you tried recording directly to tape and disk at the same time? = Printing to tape was successful, I am not sure about what you mean by "same time"

What system are you recording to? = Tried Vegas 9 and 10, both are on Win7 Ultimate 64-bit

Is the camera in working condition? = yep

How long does the capture process last? = Well, I have 12 tapes to capture so it will take time, all tapes are full so an hour each.

Do you always have to stop it manually or does it crash automatically? = Neither, it hasn't crashed so far and, as I said in my post, capture seems to actually starts, it just that nothing gets captured.

Have you tried leaving it on for a few minutes? = Yep, I've let it "capture" for 10 minutes but all I could see was that temp file and nothing else, as soon as I stopped the process the file disappeared.

What I tried on my end is:

-Capturing from tapes that were used with my old Canon GL2 = Success
-Capturing from tapes used with Sony Z1 (shot in hdv) = Failed, the camera thinks it was shot in SD but it wasn't, I switch to SD mode and can capture but all I get is a black screen. Playback on the camera also give me a black screen.

So, here it is Sareesh, any other suggestions?

Very grateful for your time,

Phil

Don Bloom December 8th, 2010 04:07 PM

Doesn't Vegas 8/9/10 have both an Internal AND External capture app? I don't remember which one is for HDV but I THINK you have to manually change the capture app as it won't happen automatically.

Sareesh Sudhakaran December 8th, 2010 09:32 PM

Z1 shoots 1080 and the 110 shoots and captures 720 only - no 1080. Are you trying to capture 1080 or 720? If 720, then are your frame rates matching the JVC camera specs?

It's possible the JVC isn't reading the data stream correctly. HDV has different variants, different bit rates, etc., and it's not necessary that they should match. Even with a recorder you will still have issues when trying different 'versions'.

Jim Andrada December 9th, 2010 12:55 AM

Vegas wants an external capture app for DV but should handle HDV by itself - at least that's what it says in the help file. I use Cineform to capture from my HD110 so haven't run into a problem like this in Vegas.

You might want to post a link to this thread in the Vegas forum on the chance that it's a Vegas issue of some kind. I know double posting is a no-no, but if you suspect a Vegas issue it would be the right place.

Rob Stowell December 9th, 2010 06:18 PM

Are you capturing tapes recorded on the same camera?

The jvc cameras use hdv1 which is 720p, mpeg2 mts files recorded with a gop of 6 at 19Mbs. That's all they will shoot or play back. Yep, they will only shoot and play back the jvc flavour of hdv.
The other manufacturers (canon and sony- panasonic didn't go the hdv way) use some flavour of hdv2- which is 1080i (or laterly p) mpeg2 files with a gop of 15 and recorded at 24/25 Mbs. I don't now how if there is any compatibility between canon and sony footage in terms of playback on each others machines, though. Each uses some slightly different encoding.
The brief wonderfulness that was dv25 (all tapes playable on all cams and decks- except for sony's playing hard to get with dvcam and panasonic's rather different dvcpro) has gone. Now it's format wars and codec soup :)
If the tapes were recorded on the jvc: do you the project set for 720p hdv? I don't know vegas at all, but since it's a less unusual format, it might be expecting different footage. FWIW: No trouble capturing and cutting the jvc format in edius, but Avid- euch.

Adam Letch December 10th, 2010 12:40 AM

vegas

has no problems with the JVC codec, I use a HD251 with 8.0c no problems. If your using firewire then its a 720p signal presuming you recorded high def. The only thing that ever stops me recording is wrong firewire selection on the firewire output switch of the camera, just make sure your preferences are on 720p in the right framerate, eg 25 vs 24, and there should be no problems.
try capturing with a different nle, if it works then its software based not hardware, if it doesn't work it comes back to the firewire, without being facetious, do you have the camera in vtr mode?

Jimiz Zanei December 23rd, 2010 08:23 AM

Form 10a and (today update) 10b Vegas 32 and 64 HAVE A BIG BUG with every jvc hd cam...
If you try to capture (rec or play) with capture HDV form vegas you became a nice CRASH!
Vegas stop to working...and you must start again pc , for work with firewire again (with anothers softwares...)

Till the 9.0e Vegas 32 & 64 (winxp, 7-32, 7-64) HAVE NO PROBLEMS...work great also with jvc hd (hdv) firewire. But not more with the 10.

Be carefull, because work great in DV like every cam DV....
in HDV not more...only CANON and anothers HDV cam work ...(example...h1, a1, hv20-30-40 andh sony z1) all those cam I'v try..no problems.

JVC HD (100,111, 200,251) in hdv mode...crash!

Jim Andrada December 23rd, 2010 10:45 AM

Thanks for the heads up!

Phil Gosselin December 26th, 2010 04:32 PM

Well sorry for the VERY late response but it turns out OK. For some reason it started to work and I captured all 12 hours of it in one mean streak.

Thanks for the input though.

Happy holidays!!

Phil

Jimiz Zanei December 27th, 2010 04:41 AM

which version of vegas pro 8 , 9 ?

10a & b sure not! have a comprovated BUG:..also if SONY sleep about...

Jimiz Zanei May 9th, 2011 06:35 AM

Re: Capturing from a JVC GY-HD110 in Vegas

also 10d still not working.

Jimiz Zanei June 16th, 2011 04:41 AM

Re: Capturing from a JVC GY-HD110 in Vegas

sony devs seem to say...." we not have any JHC HD for try this problem , and if we not have more info, we can't accept like a bug..."

20 jvc hd tryed, many pc differnet, vegas 10 a,b,c,d and thesame BUG on hdv acquisition and ONLY with jvc hd cam (all the models) no extra info about, but I give all the "foto" and explain 1000 time s the problem and DUMP the memory with vegas dump utility... WHAT can I doit more ?! give free one JVC HD to the veri RICH "sony team" ???
ofocurse bis VEGAS 9e all work fine also with jvc hd models...

What I don't like...is SONY (DEVS) not belive but also do NOTHING for tra self about...
and sayed...JVC HD users are reallay few TODAY...and nobody seem work with vegas...

Which kind of answer is that ?!?

I hope any another JVC HD user , "say" something to this team...that seem think ONLY of 3d udpates...and lego games..