DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/jvc-gy-hd-series-camera-systems/)
-   -   Bad drop outs on GY HD 100 - time to switch? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/jvc-gy-hd-series-camera-systems/495086-bad-drop-outs-gy-hd-100-time-switch.html)

Dennis Stevens April 26th, 2011 06:30 AM

Bad drop outs on GY HD 100 - time to switch?

I have a GY HD 100. Love the camera. I recently got a Canon 7D which I also love, and use as much as possible.

But I recently taped a dance a performance, and used both cameras. The HD100 was set up with a tape, and I just hit record let the 1 hour tape run. I manned the 7D, so I could turn the recording off when an individual dance ended, so the 12 minute recording limit was not a problem.

But - the tapes from the JVC had pretty bad drop outs. Mostly usable, but thank glob I had the other camera. Plus, I really dig copying files more than playing hours of tape.

Is it worth it to send the thing off to get fixed? I don't have anything coverage that will pay for the repairs. Makes me wonder if I want to keep having 2 cameras, maybe just get another camera. Seems like lots of HD cams on the market. If I could find a model that also takes the CF cards the 7D takes, that would be great.

I know everyone's situation is different, but what do you all think?

Ervin Farkas April 27th, 2011 09:24 PM

Re: Bad drop outs on GY HD 100 - time to switch?

What are the tape hours on the camera?

Dennis Stevens April 29th, 2011 07:23 PM

Ervin, sorry I haven't responded, I'll haven't had time to get the number.

What's your reason for asking? Even if the tapeheads are in pretty good condition, I'm wondering if it's worth spending any money to fix it. It's a great camera and all, but unless fixing it is under $100, which I doubt, I think I'd rather just get another CF card using camera. For that matter, I rarely use the JVC any more.

Ervin Farkas April 29th, 2011 08:21 PM

Unless the tape mechanism has been abused, all you need is cleaning and alignment. Major repairs are to be expected only after several hundreds of drum hours. Either way you should have it fixed, otherwise you can't even sell it...

Dennis Stevens April 30th, 2011 01:09 PM

Would cleaning and alignment only be done by JVC? Anyone ever see a price on that?

drum hour: 353H Any ideas on the re-sale value of it?

Phil Balsdon April 30th, 2011 04:16 PM

I had this problem early on when I used an assortment of tapes (new stock) provided by producers. Apparently some brands don't like residual deposits left on the heads and in the mechanism by other brands. The only solution was to get the tape mechanism / heads serviced by a JVC service centre. A head cleaning tape alone didn't fix the problem.

Since then I have insisted I provide the stock and only use one brand (JVC ProHD). I have had no problems in the years since. I also always use a DR-100 to record simultaneously which is the main attraction to producers due to fast transfer time.

Dennis Stevens April 30th, 2011 04:19 PM

Yeah, I assume JVC is the only one to do this. I've never mixed tapes, 100% JVC ProHD. Well, now that will have to change because apparently JVC isn't making them anymore.

Adam Letch May 2nd, 2011 12:07 AM

There's heaps of threads on this, you haven't got excessive tape hours recorded, you need to swap to a similar lubricant tape stock, I think Panasonic is the same as JVC, it's mainly swapping between and dry and wet lubricant tape stock that causes problems. Also things like making sure not to leave the tape drive open in very dusty conditions. I believe you can have the heads cleaned professionally, just do a search there's extensive threads on the subject, alternatively simply go to a solid state or HDD recording option like the firestore, theres a number options for you there as well. Resale on the camera is almost nothing so either buy one of the hdd or ssd systems, or budget to buy a new and expensive replacement, possibly even a HM790 body to use your existing lens and accessories, they're a good option with SDHC card options, so that should have give you a bit more shelf life than tape

Brian Luce May 3rd, 2011 02:58 AM

These cams beg for Firestore. It will solve all your issues and make your life way easier. Even with cleaning and adjustments, the dropouts don't always go away, they just get lest frequent. Firestore!

Dennis Stevens May 5th, 2011 09:36 AM

I'm sure I can look this up pretty quickly, but isn't the dr-hd100 discontinued? Is there something else on the market that replaces it?

Ervin Farkas May 5th, 2011 10:29 AM

There are a couple of other options, Focus Enhancements makes a few models (I have http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/680948-REG/Focus_Enhancements_ASYF_1466_01LF_FS_H200_Pro_Portable_Compact.html), also the lower priced DataVideo (http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/700092-REG/Datavideo_DN_60_DN_60_Digital_CF_Card.html).

Both of these are CF card recorders, much better than hard drive recorders (no moving parts). Check out this page for more: professional solid state/hdd recorders.

Steve Oakley June 7th, 2011 11:46 PM

JVC ProHD Tape = Panasonic Pro HDV Tape = Maxel DV63 tape. exact same stuff right down to the molding marks on the cases.

sounds like nothing more then a head clog. it happens to any tape based camera. use a cleaning tape, life goes on, not the end of the world.

Jay Webster June 8th, 2011 06:35 PM

Dennis,
I have an Gy-Hd 110u, still use it and under the right circumstances work with it.
You are recording to tape as I understand. I still do the same albeit as a backup.
Since JVC has discontinued their (MDV63ProHD Tape) I have been using the Panasonic (HDV/DV AY-HDVM63MQ) Tapes with no problems. Actually we are about to leave for South Dakota (of all damned places) on a job and plan on sticking with the tape stock approach that has worked in the past.
We also use the Panasonic CLEANING TAPE, after about every five hours of recording.
Don't know if that helps at all...just what we have been doing and it seems to work out fine!

Steve Oakley June 8th, 2011 08:25 PM

cleaning tapes are highly abrasive and should only be used when needed - the camera indcates a clog via blinking REC light or other VF warning.

I'd LOVE to go to south dakota right now, where do I sign up ? its a short days drive for me :)

Alex Humphrey June 14th, 2011 08:06 PM

if the JVC/panasonic cleaning tape doesn't cure it... there are still plenty of decent video camera repair companies in average sized towns around the US and Canada. Cleaning and aligning heads on a pro or pro-sumer camcorder is no big deal. More than a high school student with a pdf manual might want to do, but far less complicated than having a grease monkey tune up a 67 mustang. Probably cost around the same too now that I think about it..