DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/jvc-gy-hd-series-camera-systems/)
-   -   jvc hd100/200 and datavideo dn60 a good combo? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/jvc-gy-hd-series-camera-systems/496883-jvc-hd100-200-datavideo-dn60-good-combo.html)

Rob Katz June 7th, 2011 01:43 PM

jvc hd100/200 and datavideo dn60 a good combo?

i might have an opportunity to purchase a lightly used-25hrs-hd100u on the cheap.

i was wondering if the datavideo dn60 was a decent combo to take the hd100 tapeless.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/700092-REG/Datavideo_DN_60_DN_60_Digital_CF_Card.html

anyone with a jvc hd*** using the datavision dn60?

if so, care to share your experiences?

then again, i must be nuts to think about investing in 5yr+ camera!

thanks in advance

be well

rob
smalltalk productions

Ervin Farkas June 7th, 2011 09:28 PM

Re: jvc hd100/200 and datavideo dn60 a good combo?

Rob, nothing wrong with your sanity! These cameras are still relevant today, beautiful picture, solid construction, etc. If the formats, etc are good for your work, go for it!

As far as this recorder, I have no first hand experience, but people complain about it - along the lines of "you get what you paid for". Working when working, on strike other times. Even the appearance is, ahem... less then professional, too much plastic.

I would suggest you look for a used Focus Enhancements FS-H recorder, people upgrading to built-in flash memory cameras dump them left and right. I have an FS-H200 with my HD100 and love it, records over 3 hours of 19 Mbps HDV on $30 a piece 32GB Transcend cards. Keep your eyes open in the 'for sale' subforum, you can pick one up for around $600-700. Still a current model, they cost $850 new.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/680948-REG/Focus_Enhancements_ASYF_1466_01LF_FS_H200_Pro_Portable_Compact.html

Sareesh Sudhakaran June 7th, 2011 09:45 PM

Haven't used anything but tape or Hard drive on the camera but:

If you have to invest in a tapeless recorder, try to get one that can accept component input. The component output of the JVC is 4:2:2 as opposed to the 4:2:0 of the firewire or tape.

Rob Katz June 8th, 2011 12:53 PM

sareesh-

thanks for sharing your thoughts.

i've seen plenty of sdi outs, even some firewire outs, and, of course, the latest is the hdmi outs.

but i don't remember seeing anyone with a component offering.

care to share what you use to get 422 from the hd100?

again, thanks for adding to the conversation.

be well

rob
smalltalk production

ps-and a shout out thanks to ervin for his encouraging comments. :-)

Sareesh Sudhakaran June 8th, 2011 09:59 PM

A 422 offers better color fidelity, in case you are chroma keying or grading. It offers the best possible signal out of the camera. It's still 8 bit, the only difference (when compared to 420 HDV) being the extra color information.

Component has been relegated mostly to the consumer section due to the emergence of HDMI. However, the 100U has a component out along with its IEEE firewire port. It doesn't have SDI or HDMI. What happens if your firewire port ever blows out?

Rob Katz June 8th, 2011 10:40 PM

sareesh-

thanks for the response.

i understand the hd100's ability to pull 422 via component.

do you know off a non-tape-based recorder that uses component?

thanks in advance

be well

rob
smalltalk productions

Sareesh Sudhakaran June 9th, 2011 10:05 AM

I must have misread your reply. One converter I had researched but haven't tested is the Datavideo DN-300, if I remember correctly. I also think it's discontinued.

The only other option I can think of is the BM h.264 Pro Recorder: Blackmagic Design: H.264 Pro Recorder Tech Specs
You might want to email them to check if it will get the job done. Sorry I can't offer much help here.

One person you could email on this forum is Dan Keaton (from nanoflash). He's pretty helpful with this sort of thing. All the best!

John Abbey June 11th, 2011 09:49 AM

If you dont need 422, I have been using a firestore hs200 recorder with my hd100, it works great, writes to a CF card.

Gavin Owens June 12th, 2011 06:07 AM

Just to chime in on the JVC HD 100/ DN60 combo,
I shoot with a HD201E recording onto the DN60 on a regular basis and despite some teething problems, it's worked out great. It's cheap, feels plasticy and there isn't a vast amount of support out there for it but it does what it's supposed to so I can't complain.
I was going to sell off the HD201E in the bid to go completely tapeless but then I found out about the DN60 and gave it a go. It's brought a new life to the camera and has also added a few more years to the lifespan of it which is great because currently, the ProHD range still shoot competitive images which are ideal for the web video market.
One thing of note though, there isn't a lot of mounting options for the DN60. You might have to get a custom made mounting option. I use a magic arm to position it just above the view finder so I can monitor it at all times.
Hope this helps

Best
Gavin

Gavin Owens June 12th, 2011 06:17 AM

not sure why but this double posted....