DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/jvc-gy-hd-series-camera-systems/)
-   -   First HD-100 Movie? "The Hitchhiker" (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/jvc-gy-hd-series-camera-systems/51391-first-hd-100-movie-hitchhiker.html)

Stephen L. Noe September 19th, 2005 11:09 PM

First HD-100 Movie? "The Hitchhiker"

I see that the first movie (that I'm aware of) shot on the HD-100 was "The Hitchhiker".

Click here for details on "The Hitchhiker"

Were any of the users here involved with this project?

Robert Castiglione September 20th, 2005 05:32 AM

Great post. Dont the images just look spectacular?

I am particularly interested because I will be shooting a drama in November.

Rob

Craig Terott September 20th, 2005 06:52 AM

Good reading. Thanks for the post.

Diogo Athouguia September 20th, 2005 06:56 AM

The images look fantastic, however there are some green chromatic aberrations on the front of the car in the first pic...

Robert Castiglione September 20th, 2005 07:11 AM

Diogo, well seen. And this is with the wide angle lens.

Rob

Werner Wesp September 20th, 2005 08:15 AM

It can't temper my enthousiasm that much, I have to say...

Tim Dashwood September 20th, 2005 08:23 AM

I think this was actually the first film to shoot on the camera:

http://www.uemedia.net/CPC/2-pop/article_13595.shtml

Diogo Athouguia September 20th, 2005 09:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Robert Castiglione
Diogo, well seen. And this is with the wide angle lens.

So, it seems that both lens have CA. I can accept that on the cheap lens, but the wide one costs about $10.000... it's unacceptable!

Tim Dashwood September 20th, 2005 10:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Diogo Athouguia
So, it seems that both lens have CA. I can accept that on the cheap lens, but the wide one costs about $10.000... it's unacceptable!

The article does not say that this film was shot with the 13x3.5. It says that JVC gave him a 13x3.5 for his second round of tests.

Dave Ferdinand September 20th, 2005 11:05 AM

I think the images look just like film, as close as I've seen so far from from any miniDV camera. Let's hope it looks just as good in motion...

Can't find any CA anywhere...

Nate Weaver September 20th, 2005 11:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Diogo Athouguia

I also can see chromatic aberration on freeze frames from footage shot on a Sony F750. I don't know what the lens was in the stuff I saw, but I imagine it was something that cost more than the Fuji 13x.

Many, many lenses suffer from it. I wouldn't be TOO picky or you won't have anything to shoot with!

[edit: How did this forum become this sort of weird "Spot the defect in X camera" dogpile?]

Dave Ferdinand September 20th, 2005 11:24 AM

Hear, hear! Nate.

Don't see what the nitpicking is all about. Besides on still shots it's always more likely to see imperfections.

Unacceptable?!... Oh well...

Joe Carney September 20th, 2005 11:43 AM

Looks like Colorists will still have job security, hehehe.

Stephen L. Noe September 20th, 2005 12:05 PM

I took a pretty good/close look at them in my NLE and they could have adjusted the camera quite a bit (it seems like) to get better contrast and could have used some reflectors here and there to light up some faces (particularly for the halo shots) but I'm impressed. I'd like to see the motion as well. Of couse they're cutting it apart over on DVXuser.com but just getting stills this clean out of a $5000 motion picture camera is gold.

Just think, you can shoot a commercial and then give them solid stills for print ads. I really like it.

BTW- I have a reasonable suspicion that this was shot on the stock lens and not the 13X. The way I read it is that they shot and then saw the CA and then JVC sent them the 13x lens for a second test.

Werner Wesp September 20th, 2005 12:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nate Weaver
I also can see chromatic aberration on freeze frames from footage shot on a Sony F750. I don't know what the lens was in the stuff I saw, but I imagine it was something that cost more than the Fuji 13x.

Many, many lenses suffer from it. I wouldn't be TOO picky or you won't have anything to shoot with!

[edit: How did this forum become this sort of weird "Spot the defect in X camera" dogpile?]

I'm with you Nate, If you have to take this much effort to find some little CA-effect in stills (for crying out loud)...

Lookin' good, as far as I'm concerned...

Of course colors and all can be adjusted to personal taste...