DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/jvc-gy-hd-series-camera-systems/)
-   -   Carry Case or Bag (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/jvc-gy-hd-series-camera-systems/519024-carry-case-bag.html)

Tim Lewis September 18th, 2013 02:17 AM

Carry Case or Bag

Hi All

I have a JVC HD110 and I am wanting to know what others think of the cases or bags they have used for these sorts of medium sized shoulder mount cameras over the years. Which would you recommend and which would you not?

Cheers

Don Bloom September 18th, 2013 06:00 AM

Re: Carry Case or Bag

I have a Camrade bag that I got with my HM700 but frankly while it held everything I needed to carry, I went and got a Pelican case because it's on wheels. Yes it is big and heavy to lift but honestly, I can carry everything I need for a job in there and it's nice to roll it around. When I use 2 cameras the 2nd is in a smaller bag that I attach to the Pelican and I have bags for my tripods so it's actually an easy carry. Tripods over my shoulder and 2 cameras rolling down the pavement. the only time it's a PITA is going up and down stairs but even that's not a hugh deal. The hardest part is I have to put the case in the backseat of my car and it's awkward doing that. I also like the idea that my main gear is well protected. I like the Camrade bag but it just got to be too much to carry on my shoulder with all of my other gear.

Roger Van Duyn September 18th, 2013 06:10 AM

I also use the Pelican. And it makes a handy seat sometimes too.

Tim Lewis September 18th, 2013 06:25 AM

Thanks Roger and Don. Don, what model is your Pelican?

Don Bloom September 18th, 2013 08:45 AM

I use the Pelican Storm IM 2950 case. It's a touch shallower than the 1650 but works for me.

I cut the foam and covered the top with a black felt material.

Here's what I carry in the case so it will answer why I use such a big case.

The HM700 with the 17X Fuji lens
The VF stays on the camera and I just push it into the body.
I have the wireless bracket mounted to the body with my AT1821 dual channel receiver in a BEC cup. I DO remove the antennas from the receiver so as not to damage anything.
I cut a space for 3 V-Lok batteries andkeep one on the camera
I cut a space for a small piece of PVC pipe that is about 1 1/2 inches long around which I wrap gaff tape
I cut a space to carry extra SDHC cards in their cases
I cut a space for 12 AA dry cell batteries for my wireless body paks and plugin transmitter
I cut a space for my on camera light
I have a space for 4 Sony type 970 batteries to power the light
I cut a space for my wireless body paks, plugin transmitter, and a small mic bag that holds my Sennheiser E604 drum mic and my Shure SM63 handheld mic
Finally I keep my Sony 7605 headphones and a set of ear buds in a Portabrace zip style accessory bag that fits perfectly on top of the lens and puts ZERO pressure on it.

So as you can see, I carry a lot of stuff but I can grab my case and be out the door in 30 seconds flat if I need to and know I have everything I need to do a job.

Now the bad news....It cost's a couple of hundred dollars and weighs 29 pounds without the gear BUT not only have I used it as a seat, I've stood on it when I needed a bit more height to see the LCD or VF without hurting my neck.

Like I said, it's a pain to load into my car but really other than that, I like it a lot. Plus knowing that my gear is protected against pretty much anything, is real piece of mind.
HTHs

Don Bloom September 18th, 2013 08:58 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Sorry I forgot to add this picture. Gives you an idea of what you can carry. I also have a white card and an envelope with copies of my insurance just in case the client or venue needs to see my liability insurance.

Tim Lewis September 19th, 2013 06:21 AM

Thanks Don. That is very useful. The distribution of your gear looks good, with the camera right in the middle.

Tim Lewis September 23rd, 2013 09:40 PM

I have got hold of a Kata bag from Ebay. It is the right size. I will use other bags I already own for the accessories, like the V-locks.

I have bought and collected a Kata CC-195 PL on eBay which will allow me to carry and transport the camera safely and fits into my very tight budget. I have an older aluminium case I can dedicate to all the extras. As I am not doing rush set ups like weddings this will serve well in the meantime.