DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/jvc-gy-hd-series-camera-systems/)
-   -   Dead pixels? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/jvc-gy-hd-series-camera-systems/54686-dead-pixels.html)

Soroush Shahrokni November 19th, 2005 11:38 PM

Dead pixels?

Today I noticed something rather horrifiying. I was testing out the camera with the Micro35 and when trying diffrent shutterspeeds I noticed that I have lots of what looks like dead pixels. When the shutter is below 24 you cannot miss them...there are lots of them.

I dont know what to do. How can I verify that they really are dead pixels? How do I mask them if they can be verified?

Stephen van Vuuren November 20th, 2005 01:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Soroush Shahrokni
Today I noticed something rather horrifiying. I was testing out the camera with the Micro35 and when trying diffrent shutterspeeds I noticed that I have lots of what looks like dead pixels. When the shutter is below 24 you cannot miss them...there are lots of them.

I dont know what to do. How can I verify that they really are dead pixels? How do I mask them if they can be verified?

Dust in the Micro25? (often a problem with these rigs). To verify, shoot with lens cap on, run from no gain to hi gain.

Mouayed Zabtia November 20th, 2005 02:01 AM

Hi Soroush Shahrokni

Will I can tell you how you can mask it
1- first you have to put you camcorder in 24p mode
2- **EDITED**
3- **EDITED**
4- you will get advanced menu on the screen enter it , go to camera 1 , go to pixel compen and enter it
5- its very important to know that you do this after 1 or 2 hours running your camcorder
after that you will find the dead pixel disappear
have nice shooting

MODERATOR NOTE: I edited out steps 2 & 3. I know the ADVANCED MENU seems harmless at first sight, but JVC has warned us that executing the PIXEL COMPEN function too many times, or when the camera is not fully warmed up, may really screw up the pixel clone map - potentially requiring a memory wipe that may not be covered under your warranty. Therefore, for the protection of the end-user, they'd like us to keep the ADVANCED MENU button combo info on a need-to-know basis. If anyone else is having a similar hot pixel problems please contact your dealer, local JVC tech, or private message me. Thanks. Tim

Barry Green November 20th, 2005 02:14 AM

I found this on my HD100 as well. I asked a few different people to test for it, and nobody else reported it so I thought it was an isolated incident.

What would happen was that if you put the camera in "slow shutter" mode, especially the slowest shutter speed, there were hundreds of white specks all over the picture. It made slow shutter mode completely unusable. I didn't think they were dead pixels though, as there were no visible dead pixels under normal shooting conditions or under full gain. It was something isolated to slow shutter mode.

I think I sent someone a clip showing what it looked like, and they reported "nope, nothing like that over here", so it sounds like it's not universal. I asked JVC about it and they also said they didn't know what could be causing it and that it wasn't normal.

If you want to see if what you're getting is the same thing as what I had, here are the clips (don't know how long my bandwidth will hold out, so download 'em and "save as" please):

http://www.icexpo.com/HD100/HD100-normal-shutter.m2t

http://www.icexpo.com/HD100/HD100-slow-shutter.m2t

It'd probably be a good idea for people to check their cams and see if they have a similar situation, to determine if it's something common or if it's something deserving of a trip to the repair facility.

Soroush Shahrokni November 20th, 2005 09:41 AM

Thx everyone.

Barry, thats exactly what I have, white specks all over the place. Like you said, this makes using slow-slowest shutter speed totally unusable. The question is, what is the next thing to do, take the camera to service?

It would be a good thing if more ppl tried to look for this problem so that we can determine if they are isolated cases or something more universal like the SSE!

Lets call this new desease "SSS" (Slow Shutter Specks)! =D

Robert Niemann November 20th, 2005 04:26 PM

Dear Barry, when I was reading Your post, I was wondering, that You still have Your HD100. If I remember correctly, You were not very happy with it, when it arrived. Has Your opinion about the camera changed? And what happened to Your lens problem (the poor resolution quality)?
Also I want to thank You for the "dead pixel" video. Now I am having an idea of it.
And another question regarding the following link: http://www.icexpo.com/HD100/Hd100-breathing.m2t - what do You mean by "breathing"? I never heard of it before.

Barry Green November 21st, 2005 03:31 AM

I sent it back. I eventually worked a deal with my reseller where they took the product back. I could not find a way to make the HD100 work for me.

"breathing" is the term given for when a lens appears to change the focal length when focusing. In that clip I didn't touch the zoom at all, that was just focus. I executed a rack focus from maximum to minimum, and the change you see on the screen is the effect attributable solely to breathing. Breathing is not a desirable lens attribute.

BTW, how do you keep finding stuff in that directory? I posted that clip to send to someone to see if they had a similar issue, but that was a private transaction, it's not linked on any webpage. How did you find it?

Robert Niemann November 21st, 2005 04:59 AM

I thank You for Your information about "breathing". The Fujinon lens delivered with the JVC seems to be really awful. Well, not the lens as a whole, the manual control is very good indeed.
I found the video by shortening Your links to the main directory: http://www.icexpo.com/HD100. I hope, that was okay for You.

Barry Green November 21st, 2005 05:11 AM

Ah. Gotcha. DOH! Gotta tighten up those permissions... :)

Dean Lomax December 16th, 2005 10:02 AM

Dead Pixel

Gidday All from Western Australia

Just got back from a shoot at the local entertainment centre, doing an end of year dance school graduation with my GY-HD101. Hooked up the camera to have a look at the pics and noticed a 'dead pixel' about two thirds the way up the screen on the left hand side. Its there on most of my shoot tapes and is still there even in camera mode, DOH!

From other posts, it seems the best way to deal with the problem is to get the camera replaced, is this correct or is there any fixes out there.

regards
Dean
'Lomax Media"

Marc Colemont December 16th, 2005 10:48 AM

There was a method which has been deleted back from the forum to remove the dead pixel from within the menu (it does a pixelmapping of a good pixel next to the dead pixel). If this method is working then I'm sure the JVC dealer will be able to take care of it.

Barry Green December 16th, 2005 01:58 PM

The HD100 has the ability in its service menu to mask dead pixels. Contact a service center and they should be able to perform this service very quickly.

Dean Lomax December 16th, 2005 06:17 PM

Thanks

Hi Guys

Thanks for that, I'll follow up with the service tech come Monday.

regards
Dean