DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/jvc-gy-hd-series-camera-systems/)
-   -   Help with filming techniques! (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/jvc-gy-hd-series-camera-systems/56032-help-filming-techniques.html)

Trevor Allin December 14th, 2005 04:36 AM

Help with filming techniques!

Hi

I have a GY-HD101 and am on a steep learning curve! This is my second camera, my first being a Canon XM2 (GL2 in the US). Manual focus etc is new to me.

I am trying to achieve a very shallow depth of field, so that the background is completely out of focus. However, not achieving it as yet! Can anyone point me in the right direction? Also tips on how to do a pull focus?

I realise this is Videography 101 but thats where I am at! Also any resoirces out there that deal with such things?

Will Steve Mullen's new ebook cover this type of thing?

Thanks

Trevor

Brian Duke December 14th, 2005 04:42 AM

I suggest putting the subject/object as close to the camera as possible and use auto focus on it. This should put the background out of focus. Or you can use a 35mm adapter which will REALLY help getting the DOP film look you are seeking.

Eugen Oprina December 14th, 2005 05:01 AM

Trevor,
Long lens (zoom at max)
Max aperture (1.4) (add camera's ND or additional if necessarily)
Detail to -7
Good luck,
Eugen

Giuseppe Pugliese December 14th, 2005 05:22 AM

I agree with the above statements, you really need use the zoom as much as you can with the subject close as you can, and the background as far away as possible so it will be that nice soft background. As for the 35mm lens remark... It’s not that simple (or cheap). Pretty soon there is going to be a 35mm adapter that connects DRIECTLY to the camera (converting the ½ video mount to a 35mm mount) ... this is not what you want, as for that adapter will still not give you the DOF that you want.

(The only reason why I’m saying that is because, yes he is right to say use the 35mm lenses, but I just wanted to make clear that I believe he means to use the P+S mini35 adapter (not a direct mount converter to the lens)...

The adapter takes the image of the 35mm lens and projects it on a ground lens, then the camera sensor shoots what’s on the ground lens NOT straight through the 35mm lens)

I just want to make sure you don’t buy some cheap peace of metal (still in the hundreds) that gives your cameras 1/2 video mount a 35mm mount (although it will be cool) it will not give you the depth of field that you want... I don’t want you to spend that kind of money thinking that the adapter will do what you want it to do and then you are disappointed.

The P+S adapter is also extremely pricey (more than what you paid for the camera and then some!) for someone who doesn’t shoot films for a living. (Remember you still have to rent the cine lenses with that adapter too! that means Major bucks!)

But if you stick with zooming and close focus tricks I think you will be pleased with what you can do with the stock lens.

Diogo Athouguia December 14th, 2005 09:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brian Duke
I suggest putting the subject/object as close to the camera as possible and use auto focus on it. This should put the background out of focus. Or you can use a 35mm adapter which will REALLY help getting the DOP film look you are seeking.

There is no auto focus on the HD100. This is Trevor's second camera, for someone who is still learning to use a pro camera I don't think investing on a expensive lens is a priority. Eugen said all you need to do with the stock lens.

Giuseppe Pugliese December 14th, 2005 09:53 AM

good point, I guess I didnt want to lead him in the wrong direction if he was planning on getting a lens setup. its never fun when you are new to something and you end up spending money on things you thought would help but dont.

Brian Duke December 14th, 2005 10:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Diogo Athouguia
There is no auto focus on the HD100. This is Trevor's second camera, for someone who is still learning to use a pro camera I don't think investing on a expensive lens is a priority. Eugen said all you need to do with the stock lens.

I meant auto assist. opps... there is an auto focus on the HD100. At least on mine..

Trevor Allin December 14th, 2005 10:27 AM

Thanks

Thanks for the advice.

Trevor

Diogo Athouguia December 14th, 2005 07:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brian Duke
I meant auto assist. opps... there is an auto focus on the HD100. At least on mine..

There is a focus assist but it has nothing to do with auto focus, it's just a function to help you focusing. This lens is manual, only iris can be set to auto. There is also another button called "full auto", everything becomes auto except the focus.

Paolo Ciccone December 15th, 2005 01:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Trevor Allin
Hi
I am trying to achieve a very shallow depth of field, so that the background is completely out of focus.

Trevor, you can achieve this with a little bit of practice. Basically you have to open the iris as much as you can for the given scene and pull back the camera and use the zoom. After you zoomed enough to frame the subject don't touch that ring :).

So, I usually switch to one of the ND filters, these basically act as sunglasses for the camera, blocking some light and so allowing you to stop down.
I use a polarizer as well. Sometimes both the pola and the ND, depends on the scene and the amount of light.

The point is, you can do it with the HD100 no problem, just some practice and correct lighting. You don't need a 35mm kit to get shallow DOF

Hope this helps.

--
Paolo