DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/jvc-gy-hd-series-camera-systems/)
-   -   new owner: thoughts and questions (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/jvc-gy-hd-series-camera-systems/56252-new-owner-thoughts-questions.html)

Randall Brown December 17th, 2005 04:41 PM

new owner: thoughts and questions

Hi all,

Made the decision to grab a HD100,I got it on thursday but just opened the box an hour ago. It's definitely a sexy beast. I have a Gl2 and an EZ1 as well.

Out of the box turned it on and saw SSE, but it did diminish once warmed up and WB.

I know this has been said before but this camera is not for the faint of knowledge. You wont just turn it on and get those awesome clips on the web. :) For those coming from consumer cams get ready to learn. But the tweaking is where the fun is!

On to the questions

I. What are the standard settings for the included mic? My included mic levels seem low based on the indicators. I have it set at mic+48v tried both manual and auto but the vu levels as shown on the lcd never go above a 2 blocks for conversation level of sound. I haven't had time to pull it in my NLE and check, is this normal? To hear any audio from the ear pad I have to turn it up 3/408 the way.

2. Looking to get a uv to protect the lens. is hoya good enough?

3. Battery: the camera's battery's terrible. Any one make a high capacity JVC mount battery? I'm not interested in the AB/ IDX options. Ineed at least 2 hours working time pref 3

Stephen L. Noe December 19th, 2005 09:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Randall Brown
I. What are the standard settings for the included mic? My included mic levels seem low based on the indicators. I have it set at mic+48v tried both manual and auto but the vu levels as shown on the lcd never go above a 2 blocks for conversation level of sound. I haven't had time to pull it in my NLE and check, is this normal? To hear any audio from the ear pad I have to turn it up 3/408 the way.

2. Looking to get a uv to protect the lens. is hoya good enough?

3. Battery: the camera's battery's terrible. Any one make a high capacity JVC mount battery? I'm not interested in the AB/ IDX options. Ineed at least 2 hours working time pref 3

1. The mic should register on the VU meters. If you set it to auto, it control it's own levels.

2. Whatever works for you. I use Tiffen, but am not opposed to Hoya or any other brand.

3. Battery, Hmnnn... Some other users are getting good results with Switronics. I'm using the IDX currently which last a loooong time. Maybe some other users can offer some suggestions about less expensive alternatives.

Marc Colemont December 19th, 2005 11:35 PM

Quote:

3. Battery, Hmnnn... Some other users are getting good results with Switronics. I'm using the IDX currently which last a loooong time. Maybe some other users can offer some suggestions about less expensive alternatives.
If you are a bit handy with electronics, you can save some money.
I just bought the HD100 and I also found the battery supplied with it too small. I had some existing batteries from my previous camera setup with Sony VX9000. So I made my own solution were I re-used stuff without the need of bying the expensive IDX batteries with charger.

For now I bought the IDX holder and I used my battery-belt 14,4V and connect it to the powerconnector (normally used for videolight output) of the IDX battery holder (I re-wired the fuse-circuit so the output became a fused input).
To have more weight on the back of the camera to balance the camera better for shoulder mounted shots, I strapped my existing NPA10000 from Sony on it holding 3 x NP950 batteries. I found out it is also is 7.2V so that became my second option for powering my camera. I soldered a connector on the NPA1000 and feed the 7.2V through the external powerconnector of the camera. It works great.
I tested out, from the moment I plug-in the external connector, the IDX circuit is disabled automatically. In that case I can still use the batterybelt for the video-light if the voltage of the belt drops too much for the camera itself during using the videolight in combination with the camera.
I can take a picture if someone wants to see the setup.

Jemore Santos December 20th, 2005 05:05 AM

Dam Marc, I'm going to call you Marc Gyver, hehehe it's got a nice ring to it.

How long are you getting with those batteries?

Marc Colemont December 20th, 2005 06:09 AM

I've been filming for a day without changing batteries :-)

Randall Brown December 21st, 2005 08:22 PM

Update

Thanks for the tips guys. I might try that make shift battery solution until someone makes a big battery for the standard mount. I hear a company is working on it, and it should be avail shortly. we'll see. In the interim any of you guys with a AB or IDX mounts want to get rid of your old tiny battery?

I still think the viewfinder is crap. I'm going to look at another to be sure its just the way it is.

On another note. This camera definitely causes an avalanche of purchases

Hmm need a big UV to protect the lens
- $80
Not really liking this internal mic much, and the rode videomic isnt XLR
- $450
Dang this doesnt fit in any bag i currently use
- $250
30 minutes of battery life?? Not going to work
- $150 for two JVC mount batts or $600 for AB Mount and GlobalMedia 160Wah & Charger
Is my tripod about to fall over?
- $500 head/ sticks
Man I use wet tapes in my other cams, but this one needs dry
- $200 bulk
Well I guess I better get that book everybody keeps talking about.
- $40

For those coming from the land of GL's/VX's/ DVX's think about this BEFORE HAND and budget for it. I know this is common sense, but its easy to get caught up in it. Luckily, you buy good stuff that will last you for a bit. Before you could get away with a cheap tripod, grab $15 batteries, you cant do that any more. Microbudget filmaking isnt so micro anymore with this cam.

Oh and man, my computer is dog slow with this stuff
- $3300 QUAD G5 nivana

Well at least my FCP still works...partially. Overall having a lot of fun getting to know the camera. J No regrets! My first project with it is in January, so still have some to work through any workflow issues.

Robert Castiglione December 21st, 2005 08:31 PM

On the mic front, try the Rode NTG -1 (I think) as that is an xlr connector.

Outstanding for the money (about $300 AUD) - excellent sound. I use this on the camera.

However, you will need to use some kind of damping for it or way of isolating it as there is some handling noise.

Rob

Marc Colemont December 22nd, 2005 06:22 AM

Many of the items you mention Randall I also bought when I used other camera's. So I don't see it really as a different thing for this HD100 camera.

Warren Shultz December 26th, 2005 11:45 AM

Standard batteries

Hey Randall,

I have two of the small batteries I wouldn't mind getting rid of. I'm using A/B on the back and can go all day with them. I'll won't ever need the small ones again.

Steve Mullen December 27th, 2005 04:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stephen L. Noe
1. The mic should register on the VU meters. If you set it to auto, it control it's own levels.

It does "not control it's own level." AUTO is not an AGC.

AUTO is a limiter that prevents clipping at 0dB. There are times you want and times you do not want AUTO.

Likewise, the reason for the "low" level is the Reference Level for HD is -20dB not the -12dB used for DV.

All this information is in my GY-HD100 HANDBOOK. :)

Diogo Athouguia December 27th, 2005 07:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Randall Brown
Hi all,

I didn't want to spend more $1000 on a power solution like A/B, so I bought another original JVC on ebay and 4 Power2000 batteries on B&H. These Power2000 are very good, better and cheaper than the JVC ones.

Guy Barwood December 27th, 2005 10:34 PM

"3. Battery: the camera's battery's terrible. Any one make a high capacity JVC mount battery? I'm not interested in the AB/ IDX options. Ineed at least 2 hours working time pref 3"

http://www.glasseye.com.au/hd101e/battery.htm

http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showthrea...ht=12%2C000mAh

Diogo Athouguia December 27th, 2005 11:06 PM

Guy, that's very enginious. I will probably try to make one like yours. It is also a beautifull piece...! :)))

Guy Barwood December 27th, 2005 11:10 PM

lol, Merry Christmas!

Diogo Athouguia December 27th, 2005 11:16 PM

Thank you, and a great new year for you... and everybody!