DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/jvc-gy-hd-series-camera-systems/)
-   -   HD100 and Sony PD-150 Shotgun Mic... (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/jvc-gy-hd-series-camera-systems/61694-hd100-sony-pd-150-shotgun-mic.html)

Efrain Gomez February 27th, 2006 06:22 PM

HD100 and Sony PD-150 Shotgun Mic...

Has anyone used a different shotgun microphone on the HD100 other than the mic it comes with? (a microphone from another camera, i mean)

I have a PD-150 and was thinking of trying that out. Just to see if the HD100 mike is of lesser or greater quality/sensitivity.

:: efrain

Gary Morris McBeath February 27th, 2006 06:46 PM

Efrain:

I use the following: for a narrow range of pickup, I use an AT-835 medium shotgun; good for higher noise levels, distant machinery etc. For something closer to studio quality, interviews, drama etc, I use a Sanken CS-1 short shotgun (super or hyper cardoid pattern, nice warm tone). For extremely noisy environments, or picking up ambient sound, presence track etc, I use an AT-3031; has built in 10db pad, very wide angle of pickup.

The selection of a mic is dictitated by the subject, what you want to accomplish, and a lot of personal taste. If you're looking for one all around mic, consider the 835, or a Sennheiser ME 66.

Perhaps your budget doesn't allow a mic of the type I've described above, but I have to say I do not know of any mic that comes with a camera, and that includes a couple of very high end cameras I've had, to be close to acceptable for professional work. I believe that is a fairly common attitude in the industry.

Hope this helps.

Gary

Jiri Bakala February 27th, 2006 07:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gary Morris McBeath
I believe that is a fairly common attitude in the industry.

...because in situations where sound matters (interviews, drama, etc.) we tend to use a dedicated soundman or at the very least a close range good quality microphone. The on-camera mike is really only a general b-roll/news audio pick up device. Having said that, when I want a bit better 'b-roll' sound I use a Sennheiser ME66 with a winjammer, which of course also helps with wind noise.

Gary Morris McBeath February 27th, 2006 07:52 PM

I forgot to mention: I seldom use any of my mics on the camera; only in extreme run & gun type situations. I either use a sound person, and always run the mic through a mixer (better control, better limiter, lower noise floor), or at the very minimum, when working alone, mount the mic on a stand or fixed boom. These mics pick up even the slightest handling of the camera, tripod handle, my clothing noise etc.

the positive side, is they create a much better, richer soundtrack, more to work with in post.

Gary

Efrain Gomez February 28th, 2006 02:29 AM

AT-835b

right. cool. thanks for your input!

i already own an Audio Technica 835b shotgun mic. and i'll probably using that to pick up dialogue in a short dramatic narrative this weekend.

::efrain

Marc Colemont February 28th, 2006 03:34 AM

I own both camera's too. I have tried both mics, but not much difference there. I use the on-board mic only for environment sound anyway. On the second channel I have a wireless Sennheiser. Either a lav is used on the person to be interviewed or a shotgun mic for other purposes.