DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/jvc-gy-hd-series-camera-systems/)
-   -   Very visible vibrations (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/jvc-gy-hd-series-camera-systems/62072-very-visible-vibrations.html)

Saul Martinez March 4th, 2006 10:23 AM

Very visible vibrations

Why do I observe very visible and intensive vibrations in my shots specially in pannings and tilt ups by roofs, walls or stairs with thin lines?
How could I correct it or diminish it?

Stephen L. Noe March 4th, 2006 10:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Saul Martinez
Why do I observe very visible and intensive vibrations in my shots specially in pannings and tilt ups by roofs, walls or stairs with thin lines?

You'll have to slow your panning way down especially when zoomed.

Steven Thomas March 4th, 2006 10:39 AM

Quote:

I'm not sure what you mean by "vibrations"?

If you have a cheap tripod, that would be one possible issue, but I'm sure if that was the case, you would not be asking this question.

If you're refering to 24P or 30P judder, this is normal and you need to be careful on fast movement from pans.

Paolo Ciccone March 4th, 2006 10:54 AM

Quote:

Not having information about your settings or a clip to check, it's a wild guess for us. Your mention to thin lines makes me think that maybe you have the sharpening setting way up. Can you gives us more info about your setup?

--
Paolo

Jon Glen March 4th, 2006 11:45 AM

are you seeing the vibrations in your NLE preview window? or say on a TV screen after burning your footage to a dvd? or on your LCD screen in camera?

Stephen L. Noe March 4th, 2006 12:00 PM

I think he means judder....

Saul Martinez March 4th, 2006 12:34 PM

it's like moire...

Sorry, but I can't name this fenomenon in English but it is like a kind of moire similar to that Zebra function does in the lcd screen when it is on...it sees in the lcd screen and viewfinder during shooting and later in the monitor screen viewing the recorded tape, as I said, it appears when I pann o tilup a subject thas has thin "lines"...example the "lines" formed by bricks in a wall or a roof...the thin "lines" that separate the steps in a stairs...maybe this helps.
my settings:
Master black -3
Detail -3
Black Stretch3
White clip 108%
Knee Manual
Level 80%
Cine Like On
Color Matrix Cine
Gamma Cine
Level -3

Thanks to all...

Daniel Patton March 4th, 2006 03:02 PM

Saul,

When you describe the pattern, I get the impression it maybe looks like the "Peaking" adjustment when turned all the way up. Although it does not display it on playback regardless.

What mode are you shooting in 60/30 NTSC or 50/25 PAL? What is/was the shutter set to? And more so, what is the playback monitor that you are using? Is it SD, HD, what brand, etc..

Saul Martinez March 4th, 2006 03:29 PM

Daniel:
I am using a shutter 1/60. DV-60I NTSC mode. A JVC SD monitor.

Daniel Patton March 4th, 2006 03:56 PM

Just a thought, I also noticed that shooting SD with this camera it could get a bit noisy. Try reducing the Detail setting even lower, even as far as "min". Although, I don't like the look of off. Also, is Motion Smooth ON or OFF?

Tim Dashwood March 4th, 2006 06:29 PM

Quote:

Saul,

If you only see this phenomenon on interlaced CRT and not progressive displays, then try setting the V FREQ to LOW, and let us know what happens.

Steven Thomas March 4th, 2006 09:48 PM

Quote:

Daniel:
I am using a shutter 1/60. DV-60I NTSC mode. A JVC SD monitor.

DV NTSC 60i ?

Are you sure you're not talking about the interlace effect?

When you mention vertical movement causing staircase effect, that sounds like interlace artifacts and is normal.

The solution, of course, is shoot progressive.

Stephen L. Noe March 4th, 2006 10:38 PM

How about encoding a little something something. I don't know what you're seeing...

Ben Buie March 5th, 2006 12:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steven Thomas
DV NTSC 60i ?

Are you sure you're not talking about the interlace effect?

When you mention vertical movement causing staircase effect, that sounds like interlace artifacts and is normal.

The solution, of course, is shoot progressive.

Yes, definitely sounds like interlace artifacts. One of the reasons we don't shoot interlaced period anymore (unless the client won't take anything else). I'd hate seeing those artifacts while editing and have to wonder whether they would show up on a regular TV. Shooting progressive just means one less thing to worry about.

Any DV camera shooting 60i will have this same issue when being played back on a progressive display (like the camera LCD or your computer monitor).

I don't think you will see the effect when you playback on an interlaced display (like a TV).

If you have to deliver 480/60i with the HD100 the preferred method is to shoot HDV 720/30p and then downconvert in post.

Ben