DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/jvc-gy-hd-series-camera-systems/)
-   -   Menu Locked, Menu Unlocked (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/jvc-gy-hd-series-camera-systems/62163-menu-locked-menu-unlocked.html)

Paolo Ciccone March 5th, 2006 01:20 PM

Menu Locked, Menu Unlocked

I don't know what I did to cause this but now I cannot access the menu anymore. I press the Status button for a second or more and I get a message in the center of the LCS that says "MENU LOCKED".
I can't find any info in the manual, anybody has a clue on how to unlock the menu?

TIA

--
Paolo

Tim Dashwood March 5th, 2006 01:53 PM

??? I have no clue. This is the first I've ever heard of this!
I would call JVC first thing tomorrow.

Chris Hurd March 5th, 2006 01:56 PM

Wow, I couldn't find that in the manual either. Ideas, anybody?

Chris Hurd March 5th, 2006 01:57 PM

Good idea, Tim. Paolo shoot me an email and I'll get a JVC contact for you on Monday.

Paolo Ciccone March 5th, 2006 03:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris Hurd
Good idea, Tim. Paolo shoot me an email and I'll get a JVC contact for you on Monday.

Thank you Chris and Tim, I will call JVC tomorrow. BTW, in pure desperation I tried several button combinations and found that if I press "User 3" and then the "Status" button, holding for a second, I get access to the menu. I can change the settings as usual but the menu is still locked if I try to use the Status button alone.

--
Paolo

Steven Thomas March 5th, 2006 07:22 PM

Paolo,
When you got into the menu, did you try to reset to factory settings?

Paolo Ciccone March 5th, 2006 08:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steven Thomas
Paolo,
When you got into the menu, did you try to reset to factory settings?

Yes, and it didn't solve the problem.

--
Paolo

Daniel Patton March 5th, 2006 08:12 PM

Paolo,

I have no idea how to unlock it, but if you ever find out how you locked it in the first place please let us know, that could come in handy.

Paolo Ciccone March 5th, 2006 09:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Daniel Patton
Paolo,
I have no idea how to unlock it, but if you ever find out how you locked it in the first place please let us know, that could come in handy.

Believe me, I tried to re-create all the combinations of buttons I could have pressed before this happened and I cannot figure it out.
I will post the combo as soon as I get it, this has potential to mess your day up :)
Quite interesting to stumble upon an undocumented feature of our camera.

--
Paolo

Paolo Ciccone March 5th, 2006 11:03 PM

Solved!

You know why hackers are sucessful? Because we can't stop :), we are obsessive people, always thinking "I can solve this".
If you think that the thought of messing thing up even more was a deterrent you are very much mistaken :)
Inpired by the results of the Oscars I tackled the problem with rejuvinated energy and here are the secret combinations, the undocumented feature that JVC deemed to dangerous to put in the manual
Try this at your own risk and for your own amusement but don't email me if you get locked out of your camera :)

Lock the menu: Press User 1 + Stop button. Hold it for about 2-3 seconds. The display will show "MENU LOCKED".
Unlock the menu: Press User 1 + User 3 + Stop button. Hold it for 2-3 seconds. The display will show "MENU UNLOCKED"

In locked position you can access the menu by pressing simultaneously "User 3" + Status button.

I guess this is a safety device and indeed something that could be usefull if you want to be sure that nobody is gonna mess with your settings or that something gets moved by accident.

Sticky note? ;)

--
Paolo

Chris Hurd March 5th, 2006 11:10 PM

Stickied. Congrats, Paolo! Very helpful to know.

Paolo Ciccone March 5th, 2006 11:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris Hurd
Stickied. Congrats, Paolo! Very helpful to know.

Thank you Chris.

--
paolo

Daniel Patton March 6th, 2006 10:04 AM

Agreed, congrats Paolo! And thanks for the cool feature.

Now, while you are hacking can you get the camera to support 720/60P to tape! j/k

Steven Thomas March 6th, 2006 10:40 AM

Good news Paolo.

Hmm.. This could be a good feature to keep others from dicking with your settings.

But, I'm a bit scared to try it :)

Steve

Tim Dashwood March 6th, 2006 10:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Daniel Patton
Agreed, congrats Paolo! And thanks for the cool feature.

Now, while you are hacking can you get the camera to support 720/60P to tape! j/k

And maybe LCD and VF on at the same time!!!