DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/jvc-gy-hd-series-camera-systems/)
-   -   Split Screen Effect (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/jvc-gy-hd-series-camera-systems/62534-split-screen-effect.html)

Brian Luce March 10th, 2006 05:58 AM

Split Screen Effect

What's the official verdict on the sse? if you get a camera with pronounced SSE is it simply a matter of letting JVC recalibrate it? what's the deal?

Tim Dashwood March 10th, 2006 06:44 AM

There is no "official" verdict. See this thread.

http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showthrea...&highlight=SSE

Bruno Vaz March 10th, 2006 07:22 AM

About SSE

Hello people, about SSE, i'll try to write something that can help you all understand what it is.
I'll take on the post made by Jim Giberti (wich is very correct and accurate) and make some comments on it, and add some of my own.

Jim says that SSE is not a flaw, he is correct ! It's a characteristic of the type of CCD that JVC uses on this camera. It's a double CCD, divided in two half, being the left half responsible for the left part of the picture and the right halp responsible for the right part of the picture, and the thing is that they behave like two independent CCD, so there are diferences between them and those diferences are reflected as SSE.
There is a reason why this type of CCD was chosen. Because of new CCD's high pixel count (over 1 million) there is a delay between the first and the last column, so they adopted this type of CCD.

He aslo say that it has been solved in recent firmware versions or it only hapens at 18 db; it's also true.
I'll explain.
There are many cameras that don't have this problem, even the early ones, there are others that it only appears in the Black zone (iris closed) other with 18 dB gain, it's not linear.

About the firmware versions, the thing is that the adjustment of the SSE in the early firmware versions was all made by hand, with vectorscope and waveform monitor (Jim is right again) and it was really very difficult to adjust; because of that JVC released a software to make this adjustment automatically and this software only work with firmware version 2.02 (the latest) so it's not totally wrong to say that the latest version corrects the problem as it is needed to solve it.

I also can say that this adjustment is very critical, the software must match the 3 ccd's in order to obtain a perfect picture. It's so difficult that in some cases the software cannot adjust perfectlly and manual fine-tunning is needed.

So, in conclusion, if you nottice the problem, contact JVC to re-adjust it.

Best regards

Brian Luce March 10th, 2006 08:05 AM

okay is there any way to determine if a particular dealer is selling cameras that have been properly calibrated with the software? or is it open the box and keep your fingers crossed?

Bruno Vaz March 10th, 2006 08:15 AM

The last cameras being produced allready come corrected, but i don't know since when this is being done.

Regards

Chris Basmas March 10th, 2006 08:26 AM

Usually SSE lasts for 5-10 min after power on, and than blends away and is not visible. I don't know how the cam performs in extreme temps but i think
its better in hot weather. That's my case with a summer production unit.

Jim Giberti March 10th, 2006 10:11 AM

I'm going to step out and be a little more specific on this based on what the folks who've helped me at JVC conveyed.
The new implementation/calibration needs to take place in a perfect visual environment. I didn't get into a lot of questions with Ken, but it made a lot of sense as an audio producer having dealt with anechoic chambers in critical microphone and audio testing.
This perfectly lit environment is in JVC CA and that's where the QC team is setup and where all the HD100s are shipped, opened, calibrated, and repackaged and sent out to distributors.

Andrea Toniolo Vi March 10th, 2006 11:31 AM

Hi to all,

I'm from Italy and have acquired my JVC HD100 in October (sn 14xxxxxx). Today after 2 calibrations (in 2 different places and months) my HD100 continued to have a strong SSE also at 0db.
I have tried another HD100 but it's the same as mine.

Regarding the first calibration today the HD100 works better but here JVC seems not able to extirpate the problem at all.
Anyway the SSE in the real world is not a big problem expecially if (my) camera warm up for about 15 - 20 minutes.

I'm waiting another month to try another (and I hope latest) calibration :)

Ian E. Pearson March 10th, 2006 11:32 AM

I guess my biggest question would be, is it worth it for me being in Colorado to send my camera to CA for this calibration? I have an early camera purchased in October I think, and in room lighting have had obvious SSE @ 0db gain since I opened the box. If I set up even one 300w light it disappears so its never been a big problem, but I would like to be able to just turn it on and shoot some footage of my kids every now and then, without having to setup lights or be able to shoot a low light wedding.

Albert Henson March 10th, 2006 11:55 AM

IT is ridiculous to expect the consumer to purchase the camera only to have to send it back forre-calabration. JVC's QC is horrible if this is still occurring. Users and dealerships have been aware of the SSE defect for months now. Sending units back this far into the camera's distribution is unacceptable. Additionally, the last two times I have had to ship my camera back for firmware updates, I had to pay this out of my own pocket. My dealer ate some of the cost which helped-but did the source of the problem? Of course not.

JVC should get their ducks in a line, and use some foresight to put a functional camera into shooters hands - without having to play the refurbishing game.

This far into the manufacturing of the hd-100, sending the camera's back for any upgrades shouldn't even be up for discussion.