DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/jvc-gy-hd-series-camera-systems/)
-   -   Sample Footage concert (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/jvc-gy-hd-series-camera-systems/64740-sample-footage-concert.html)

Marc Colemont April 10th, 2006 07:10 AM

Sample Footage concert

Here's some finished footage I made from a concert 2 weeks ago.
Made with the stock lens + MatteBox, WB3000, F2.8-4, True Color V2 preset (with Black level @0).
The finishing touch was done with the brand new CinemantiQ software.

Right-click to download.
WMV-HD:
http://www.mc-productions.be/HD100/MusicClip.wmv 9Mbyte
ProHD:
http://www.mc-productions.be/HD100/MusicClip.m2t 32Mbyte

Enjoy watching. Any feedback is appriciated, I'm eager to learn.

Paolo Ciccone April 10th, 2006 10:12 AM

Hey Marc.

It looks great, the detail in the CUs is very nice, very sharp. What kind of lighting was available?

BTW, what kind of Mattebox do you use, I'm in the market for one. I saw the Petroff mode that I like a lot but I'd like to hear feedback about other models.

Marc Colemont April 10th, 2006 10:51 AM

Thanks Paolo,

What means CUs?

The Focus Assist function for sure made my day on that job. I left it on 95% of the time. Once you get used to it, you can't work with any other camera anymore. I can focus faster with the HD100 now then I could do with any camera before. With the Focus Assist you can 'see' it when you are in focus. When I toke my PD-150 on SteadyCam out for a job the other day, I started knocking my head against something. Was looking for that magic button...

The video levels I calibrated with HDVRack during rehearsals.

I asked for some extra frontlights on the band and singers with ADB lights.
They provided 4x 2Klights, which I equally calibrated on stage to 400 lumen with my lightmeter. No follow spots used. The backlight was coming from the other lights like the Par64's and movinglights. Half of the moving lights were washlights.
This preperation took time (I was there a few hours earlier then I should), but it payed-off big time when looking back at the footage.

I bought a Formatt MatteBox with French Flag a few years ago. The one which can hold two glasses. One of them can rotate which is very usefull for polarizer filters etc...

Paolo Ciccone April 10th, 2006 11:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Marc Colemont
Thanks Paolo,

What means CUs?

Close Ups.

Quote:

The Focus Assist function for sure made my day on that job. I left it on 95% of the time. Once you get used to it, you can't work with any other camera anymore.

You know, that is something I considered for a while. I like the FA a lot but I didn't use it ON all the time. I gues that, if the camera is connected to DVRack, you can look at the monitor for image quality and just shoot with the FA all the time. It's a good idea, I'm gonna try it the next time.

Warren Shultz April 10th, 2006 12:17 PM

That looks good, Marc. I like the "look". Is that one of the 50 presets on that new software? Not bad for $99!

Marc Colemont April 10th, 2006 12:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Warren Shultz
That looks good, Marc. I like the "look". Is that one of the 50 presets on that new software? Not bad for $99!

No I made my own preset. It took a while, since in the software you can tweak a lot. And it renders pretty fast and clean. No glitches so far. It's well worth the 99 dollar.
Actually I was inspired by the footage of 'Cutting Room floor clips' thread of
Stephen L. Noe. I tried to make a look imagining as if she was playing in my living room with dim lights, me with a sigar in my mouth, drinking a good dark belgian beer and my darkest sunglass on my nose.

Warren Shultz April 10th, 2006 01:14 PM

Ha Ha! Just add smoke!

Stephen L. Noe April 10th, 2006 02:04 PM

Nice work Marc. It helps that the singer's skin is so smooth. I'd like to see the raw stuff too if you ever decide to post it (for comparison to the post work).

Keep up the excellent work amigo...

Marc Colemont April 10th, 2006 02:10 PM

Thanks Stephen,
I'll post a short piece of the close up tomorrow.

Stephen L. Noe April 10th, 2006 04:48 PM

Quote:

Thanks Stephen,
I'll post a short piece of the close up tomorrow.

That effect you've done on the clip looks just like a Boris Red effect called "dream glow". Did you affect the color toward a golden/copper hue?

Marc Colemont April 11th, 2006 01:38 PM

Hi Stephen,

Here is a short piece of raw footage of the close up you asked for.
http://www.mc-productions.be/HD100/RawFootage.m2t

I'm not familiar with Boris Red. But looking back at the preset I made, yes it leans towards these copper colors. Changing the gamma curve on the high and mid levels also made here skin more smooth.
I added some 'bloom/glare' effect to have a smokey fat finish.

Daniel Patton April 11th, 2006 02:13 PM

Very nice Marc, that's great footage and shows how well the JVC can do with good lighting. Very nice indeed.

Shawn Alyasiri April 12th, 2006 10:05 PM

Can you please tell us a bit about your workflow? Camera acquisition settings (24p/30p), computer capture settings (programs/settings), where the new software was used in the flow, etc.

It's beautiful footage - I'd love to know more about your process, and where/when you used this intriguing new software as well.

Thanks and best regards.

Marc Colemont April 13th, 2006 02:20 AM

Hi Shawn,

Thanks for the compliments. I'm just a beginner myself with the beautiful camera and software.
I captured in ProHDV 25frames, the rest of my settings are described in the beginning of the thread. My position was on stage with a tripod with Zoom remote. I made arrangements through the concert promotor for the lighting guys to bring some extra frontlights for the camera's. I calibrated them to 400 lm to give a nice golden wash over the band. This to make sure the look on stage with the effect lighting is not overblown with white light for video. Important during the concert that there is still atmosphere on stage.

Through HDVRack software on my Laptop connected through firewire, I made the maximum levels around 70%. This gave me some extra room when the moving lights would come in during the show. The white balance I made slightly off the normal 3200 kelvin for tungsten lights to 3000. This way the Par64's are super white on video, while the skin is golden. I placed extra an extra CTC warm filter in front of the frontlights.

After editing I loaded the video file into the CinemantiQ software, and adjusted the 'mood' to what you saw.

Shawn Alyasiri April 13th, 2006 03:29 AM

Perhaps I missed it earlier - I re-read, but didn't see it.

I was wondering if it was shot with the camera as 24p or 30p HDV? I thought I did a properties on the clip and that it said 25 frames - so maybe you're 25p/PAL? I'm not familiar with PAL shooting, although I can play your clip on an NTSC 24p or 30p timeline in Canopus Edius.

Just wondering what the master frame-rate setting was on the camera and if HDV rack maintained 'respect' of that rate. I have HDV rack as well, but I didn't recall that it was completely 24p compliant (yet).

Thanks again.