DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/jvc-gy-hd-series-camera-systems/)
-   -   Domino - The Movie (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/jvc-gy-hd-series-camera-systems/65122-domino-movie.html)

Laszlo Horvath April 14th, 2006 10:26 PM

Domino - The Movie

Anybody know the "recepie" for the "look" of this movie?

Laszlo

Daniel Weber April 15th, 2006 06:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Laszlo Horvath
Anybody know the "recepie" for the "look" of this movie?

Laszlo

Bad acting, poor script.... Oh you mean the "look"!!!!

That would take some work to cook up that one.

Dan Weber

Andrew Todd April 15th, 2006 07:24 AM

i still enjoyed the movie..

Laszlo Horvath April 15th, 2006 08:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Daniel Weber
Bad acting, poor script....

Dan Weber

May bad acting, but I like the movie very much overall. (style, look, directing)

Laszlo

Robert Jackson April 15th, 2006 08:45 AM

Quote:

May bad acting, but I like the movie very much overall. (style, look, directing)

Laszlo

It looked very similar to Man on Fire to me. The two movies had different DPs, but they appeared to share a lot of the same camera techniques, which makes me think it may be Tony Scott's doing. I like all the flashing and multiple exposure hand-crank stuff, but I could do without all the animated title stuff where certain lines are subtitled.

Tim Holtermann April 15th, 2006 12:44 PM

As far as I know:

Super 35mm
Aspect 2.35:1
Digital Intermediate

Arriflex, Panavision and Thomson VIPER FilmStream Camera were all used.

Eric Brown April 15th, 2006 10:05 PM

They used reversal stock as well. Scott talks extensively about the image process on the DVD. You may want to rent it just for this.

Laszlo Horvath April 15th, 2006 10:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Eric Brown
They used reversal stock as well. Scott talks extensively about the image process on the DVD. You may want to rent it just for this.

That's a good idea. I watched on satellite.
Anybody may can make a "recipe" in the HD100's setup? Like the "true color" or TimD's "cine wide latitude"
I think this is close to TimD's "warm green"?

Laszlo

Eric Gorski April 15th, 2006 10:55 PM

i kind of doubt you'll be able to get that much saturation out of a video image.. what you might be able to do is go for a monochromatic look and experiment with blending layers in after effects (a green color matte on top of a video image with 'color burn' or 'hard light' or 'color' blending at various opacities works good for me)...

Paolo Ciccone April 15th, 2006 11:13 PM

Quote:

That's a good idea. I watched on satellite.
Anybody may can make a "recipe" in the HD100's setup? Like the "true color" or TimD's "cine wide latitude"

Lazlo, first I don't think you'll be able to manipulate the image in the camera at the point of coming close to that look. Second, this is best done in post processing. You will likely need more than one tool and quite a bit of processing time.
My configuration is meant exactly for this kind of applications: bring as much signal as possible into your NLE and then tweak the hell out it :)

Tim Holtermann April 16th, 2006 12:08 AM

Remember - Digital Intermediate. This means they did extensive color grading in digital before going back out to film for release.

Laszlo Horvath April 16th, 2006 06:00 AM

Thanks to all of you!

Laszlo

Tim Dashwood April 16th, 2006 07:23 PM

Laszlo,

I'm looking for my American Cinematographer on that one. I haven't seen the whole film yet, but from the bits I've seen in the trailer it looks like cross-processed reversal with some super-saturated D.I.

Everything is tinted to the yellow and green side, and the highlights are blown-out (which is easy to do on HD.)

So I would recommend trying the following recipe (I just made this up right now by combining the levels of my cross processed reversal and Warm Green settings, and haven't tested it.) Good Luck.

MASTER BLACK -6
BLACK COMPRESS 3
KNEE MANUAL
LEVEL 100%
WHITE CLIP 108%
CINELIKE OFF
COLOR MATRIX STANDARD
GAMMA STANDARD
LEVEL 4
COLOR GAIN 3
WHITE PAINT R:25 B: MIN
R GAIN NORMAL
R ROT MAX
G GAIN 3
G ROT 1
B GAIN MAX
B ROT MAX

Laszlo Horvath April 17th, 2006 06:17 AM

Thanks Tim, I will try this week!

Laszlo

Jeff Morrissette April 18th, 2006 10:52 AM

I don't know how much money for the project you have but if you took it to a DI post house and told them the look you wanted I'm sure they could to a tape to tape transfer and create that look without going back out to film.

Probably wouldn' cost more than a grand.