DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/jvc-gy-hd-series-camera-systems/)
-   -   CAVision Filters any good? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/jvc-gy-hd-series-camera-systems/67342-cavision-filters-any-good.html)

Christopher Warwick June 11th, 2009 04:49 PM

It sounds an interesting deal. I would like to go with quality optics so a bit cautious about the CaVision filters.

My question though, is these only come as 4X4... For widescreen, shouldn't I be needing the 4X5.65 (or panavision size) filters?

Anyone know the real difference here with the extra 1.65" ?

Chris

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ryan Avery (Post 905924)
HD video requires water-white optical glass which a few manufacturers offer. Resin filters (CaVision, Lee, Cokin, etc) are not HD optical quality.

We have made a low cost filter kit with the budget concious HD user in mind:

Century DV/HDV Filters - Schneider Optics

Now you can buy Schneider quality at a reasonable price.

Ryan Avery
Schneider Optics

Chad Terpstra June 12th, 2009 09:52 AM

You don't need the 4x5.56 filters for widescreen but it all depends on how wide your widest lens is or the diameter of the lens.

A note to all about Cavision filters: I rolled the dice last year on their new lineup of 4x5.56's (an ND1.2 and a Grad .9). The quality was HORRIBLE. The ND grad looked more like a purple party color than ND. It literally was that off-color. It could have been a cool color effect but it was anything but neutral.

The straight ND was significantly better but still had a VERY strong purple cast to it. It would be something that'd be very hard to time out in post and was thus completely unacceptable. I sent them both back immediately for a full refund from Adorama.com. Go with Schneider and you won't regret it. Buying quality gear only hurts once. The other stuff keeps hurting.

Tim Dashwood June 12th, 2009 09:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chad Terpstra (Post 1157650)
Buying quality gear only hurts once. The other stuff keeps hurting.

Well said.

Claude Mangold June 24th, 2009 04:11 AM

circular or linear polarizer with mini35 / JVC adapter ?

Tim, have you any info on this specific camera set-up and pola filters ?

Alvise Tedesco October 14th, 2009 07:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chad Terpstra (Post 1157650)
A note to all about Cavision filters: I rolled the dice last year on their new lineup of 4x5.56's (an ND1.2 and a Grad .9). The quality was HORRIBLE. The ND grad looked more like a purple party color than ND. It literally was that off-color. It could have been a cool color effect but it was anything but neutral.

The straight ND was significantly better but still had a VERY strong purple cast to it. It would be something that'd be very hard to time out in post and was thus completely unacceptable. I sent them both back immediately for a full refund from Adorama.com. Go with Schneider and you won't regret it. Buying quality gear only hurts once. The other stuff keeps hurting.

Thanks Chad