DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/jvc-gy-hd-series-camera-systems/)
-   -   Another happy club member.... (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/jvc-gy-hd-series-camera-systems/69211-another-happy-club-member.html)

Dennis Stevens June 9th, 2006 06:32 AM

Another happy club member....

Got my HD100UA from tapeworkstexas a few days ago. An excellent vendor with very good prices.

I've just had time to shoot stuff around the house, so the camera works great. I downloaded the AspectHD trial and transferred the footage to my pc with Premiere Pro 2.0, that worked fine.

(Well, pretty much. At one point, in the capture suddenly said 'the camera drivers are in a bad state. Try turning your camera off and on.' Poor drivers, they need to take their Zoloft. I turned both the pc and the camera off and on again, and the capture worked fine. I had my PP2 project and capture bin on a hard drive connected by Firewire 800, and it worked fine.)

Trying to think of new items I should get.... my monitor is a dell LCD screen, maybe a HDTV? Perhaps the jvc deck to transfer the tape? Probably another drive.

Note to all newbie filmmakers getting to this camera: this is SO not a 'point and shoot' camera.... Even the DVX and HVX you can turn to one of the scene files and start recording.... This camera seems to demand you take the craft of shooting seriously and know it well...

Tim Brown June 9th, 2006 06:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dennis Stevens
Note to all newbie filmmakers getting to this camera: this is SO not a 'point and shoot' camera.... Even the DVX and HVX you can turn to one of the scene files and start recording.... This camera seems to demand you take the craft of shooting seriously and know it well...

Perhaps this is the "mojo" that so many HVX users speak of.

K. Forman June 9th, 2006 06:42 AM

After several issues, I'm getting the wife to swing by the bank for me, and wire off the money for my HD100, also from Texas Tapeworks. Jason was extremely helpful, and I did get a nice break for mentioning DVInfo... or was it that other video website?

Dennis Stevens June 9th, 2006 07:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tim Brown
Perhaps this is the "mojo" that so many HVX users speak of.

LOL.... of course, the JVC has custom settings you can save - I'm salivating at all the preset recipes people have posted.

I did find it tempting just to turn that dial on the dvx to F6 and say 'OK, here's my film look'.....

I look at the stuff posted here shot on the JVC, and I think I'll have wasted my 5K if I don't learn to really use this thing....

K. Forman June 9th, 2006 10:38 AM

And the money has been sent! Is it too soon to sit in the doorway and wait for the truck?

Jon Jaschob June 9th, 2006 10:46 AM

WTG Dennis,

"This camera seems to demand you take the craft of shooting seriously and know it well"

It's called Photography ,'8-)
I have used a Nikon FM since they came out. Great camera, great pictures.
I hope for the same with the JVC. I should get mine this coming week.
Jon

Dennis Stevens June 9th, 2006 11:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Keith Forman
And the money has been sent! Is it too soon to sit in the doorway and wait for the truck?

Not at all! And when you get the tracking number for ups, check www.ups.com frequently - say every 5 minutes.

Tim Le June 9th, 2006 12:11 PM

Quote:

Not at all! And when you get the tracking number for ups, check www.ups.com frequently - say every 5 minutes.

In The House at Pooh Corner, A. A. Milne wrote that for Winnie the Pooh, "Although eating honey was a very good thing to do, there was a moment just before you began to eat it which was better than when you were, but he didn't know what it was called."

Ahh, that would be Sweet Anticipation!

Paolo Ciccone June 9th, 2006 12:15 PM

Quote:

Note to all newbie filmmakers getting to this camera: this is SO not a 'point and shoot' camera....

Hi Dennis, congratulations and welcome aboard.
I would go as far as saying that the "no point and shoot" character of the camera was one of the main reasons I bought it: *I* want to be in control :)

It takes effort but it's well worth your time and attention.

Good luck.