DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/jvc-gy-hd-series-camera-systems/)
-   -   GY-HD200 price too high? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/jvc-gy-hd-series-camera-systems/69368-gy-hd200-price-too-high.html)

Jacob Smithson June 12th, 2006 12:18 AM

GY-HD200 price too high?

Anybody else think JVC's estimated price for the HD200 ($8,000) is too high? Sure, places like BH will have a much lower street price, but how much? From what I understand, the main differences between the HD100 and HD200 are:

*record-to-tape at 60P
*image flip
*enhanced cinema gamma

I'm sure there are more enhancements that I forgot to list, but the point being that the HD200 just seems like a natural evolution of the HD100, and not enough to warrant the $2k+ price difference. Anybody remember JVC's original "suggested retail price" for the HD100 as compared to the HD200? I'm dying to play around with 60P, but I must admit the price is a bit discouraging for a student like myself who's in the market for a new camera. Your thoughts...

Steve Mullen June 12th, 2006 02:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jacob Smithson
Anybody else think JVC's estimated price for the HD200 ($8,000) is too high?

Two years ago, the NTT MPEG-2 encoder chip that did 60p HD cost $5000.

The part has to run 2X faster, yet not consumer 2X more power because it would burn-up. Plus run half as long on a battery. Simply, put 60P is very, very hard to build. Plus, unlike computer chips, there will not be that many sold per year.

So I'll bet most of the price increase is a real extra part cost. However, it does seem to me that since it ships without a lens it will really cost you a lot more than an HD100.

Frankly, I'd like to see JVC offer a "limited time deal." Chose either the HD100's lens for those of use who simply want 60p OR get the adaptor for those who have 16mm lenses they can use.

Alternately, keep the price of the 200 where it is an introduce a handheld camcorder with 24p and 60p at the HD100's price. I really want a progressive camcorder to match the FX1/Z1.

Tip McPartland June 12th, 2006 04:34 AM

200 without a lens?

Hey, I'm probably full of it, but I thought that only the 250 shipped without a lens and that the 200 shipped with the same lens as the 100. The reason I believed that when I read it was because the price difference between the two is pretty slight and there are many additional features.

Tip McPartland

Gary Williams June 12th, 2006 10:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tip McPartland
Hey, I'm probably full of it, but I thought that only the 250 shipped without a lens and that the 200 shipped with the same lens as the 100. The reason I believed that when I read it was because the price difference between the two is pretty slight and there are many additional features.

Tip McPartland

No your not full of it the HD-100 has a retail of 6,295 and the HD-200 has been noted in other post on this forum and at NAB at an estimated retail of 7,995 WITH LENS. 1,700 difference in price so street price will probably have the same difference between them.

Mathew Jones June 12th, 2006 04:54 PM

Any word on a solid availability date?

Gary Williams June 12th, 2006 05:52 PM

I have heard nothing other than the later part of summer.