DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/jvc-gy-hd-series-camera-systems/)
-   -   Back from sedona (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/jvc-gy-hd-series-camera-systems/70973-back-sedona.html)

Joe Bowey July 6th, 2006 03:49 PM

Back from sedona

8 Attachment(s)
Just got back from sedona and was testing my camera out. These were shot in SD mode at 24pa and taken from vegas4 timeline. no retouch. I bought a polarizer filter while there and what a difference it makes.
I haven't used HDV mode yet because I am not equipt to edit yet.
This is a great camera but I am struggling with whether to sell it or not. I have been having a hell of a time trying to get work and experience. I am either blind or dumb but I can't seem to find work here in Phoenix. I have thought of selling my house and moving.
My trip to sedona was inspirational but I am worring what my next move is.

Joe Bowey July 6th, 2006 03:51 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I had one pic that I compared with video shot on my cannon optura 60 camera. I thought the cannon was great until I put it up against my JVC.
JVC HD100ua on left. Cannon optura 60 on right.

Steven Thomas July 6th, 2006 05:51 PM

Looks good. Any chance of seeing some larger images?

Steve

Jonathan Ames July 6th, 2006 10:31 PM

JB-
Don't give up. PM me. I went to send you an e-mail and don't have it.
Jonathan

Joe Bowey July 7th, 2006 11:48 AM

Hey Johnathon try to e-mail me again I think I fixed it.
Any comments on the stills?

Jerry Porter July 7th, 2006 01:48 PM

The stills look very nice and don't give up. I starved for a little while also when I was young and never thought I would ever make any money! Now After paying my dues for a little while I have the dream job. It will come just work hard and keep after it. Don't sell your soul, but you can rent it out from time to time to pay the rent.

Alden Butcher July 25th, 2006 02:14 PM

Job in Phoenix

Need a camera and shooter, Joe, Aug 5, 06. email me or call. We can talk

Tim Dashwood July 25th, 2006 02:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alden Butcher
Need a camera and shooter, Joe, Aug 5, 06. email me or call. We can talk

Hi Alden,

Welcome to dvinfo.net.

You can directly email Joe by clicking on his name and selecting "Send email to Joe Bowey."

Thanks,

Tim

Kevin Shaw July 25th, 2006 02:20 PM

Joe: any sign of the recent fires in Sedona, and if so what part of town is that visible from?

Good luck with the job search.

Joe Bowey July 25th, 2006 09:46 PM

I missed the fires by a few days. I just sent out an e-mail to indieclub and noticed the last entry there was from 2004.
I guess phoenix is hot for everything but video work.
I am getting depressed and thoughts of selling my camera but I want to give this my best foot before throwing it away.
I have been shooting in public but it has been a pain. How come a person with a professional still photo camera can shoot anything without getting hasseled but when you pull out a video camera then you need permits insurance etc?
Been reading lots of articles on fair use and rights and figure they are trying to ut us out in the woods never to be seen again.
Oh I miss the seventies. FREEDOM?

Scott Harper July 28th, 2006 09:33 PM

I can't see why you'd need a permit just to shoot in public unless you're disrupting traffic or pedestrians in some way? Doesn't make any sense to me. I can take my camera out anywhere I want here without permits as long as I don't have a large entourage of crew tagging along beside me. If you are shooting commercial stuff then you probably need a occupancy permit.

Christopher Watson July 29th, 2006 09:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Joe Bowey
How come a person with a professional still photo camera can shoot anything without getting hasseled but when you pull out a video camera then you need permits insurance etc?
FREEDOM?

It is funny you mention that because when I first got my HD100 I took it outside just to play around. I lived in a condo in N. Scottsdale; as a strange matter of co-incidence two squad cars pulled into the complex and someone from the HOA was suddenly present. The HOA lady was sharply inquizative I politely told her to mind her own business; but walked out of the complex to the street. The cops were off doing there own thing but as I walked back to my place the cops started getting curious about what I was doing.
"So what are you doing out here?"
"Who do you work for?"
"Do you live here?"
You don't know how bad I wanted to say "Oh just waiting for you to beat up and Mexican or homeless person." But I held my tongue, because they actually seemed more curious than cocky.

Chris

Justin Deming July 29th, 2006 11:46 AM

Thanks for posting those stills Joe, they help me to see how awesome the detail is on this camera.

As far as the stories of being hassled, I would be interested to hear if this is common. I'm about to buy one of these cameras, and I'd hate to get in trouble every time I try go shoot for practice.

Those stories remind me of the time I was behind a department store sighting in my paintball gun. Some concerned citizen apparently phoned the police. I noticed one car drive by, and decided to put the gun down in case they were checking me out. Just then another car came around the other side of the building, and stopped fast. 2 officers jumped out behind the doors, and drew their guns on me. We had a short conversation while i had my hands in the air, and they let me disconnect the belt holding my air tank. Then I got to walk backwards to them. After they checked out my record, and verified I wasn't a known terrorist we went to check out my painntball gun. The cops thought it was cool and said they wished they could play with it.

They said they figured I wasn't dangerous, but when people tell them ther is a guy with a gun they have to be careful, just in case. It was some good adrenaline for free! There were a few people standing around to see the scene by the time it was all over.

Anyway, has anyone else been hassled when shooting?

Tip McPartland July 29th, 2006 12:06 PM

Feature shoot dodges a bullet...

I was doing location sound for a trashy little feature called "Survivors Exposed" -- you get it -- at a beach north of Malibu. Good sized cast and crew, maybe 20-25 people. The producers had a battle plan if the cops showed up, which they did. Mind you, this was probably five years ago.

It was, "This shoot is for the Internet, not a movie or TV and for that you don't need a permit."

After a brief headscratching moment, the police left and the shoot continued. I doubt if this will work today, but just a war story.

Tip

Joe Bowey July 29th, 2006 04:48 PM

We'll just the other day I was driving down the road and saw a police situiation and was about to pullover and get some shots (to sell to news) but decided they wold have just hasseled me so I drove on. I am thinking of joining the Nartional association of press photographers. Maybe if I had some knd of creditionals then they might leave me alone.
Christopher are you getting much work out here with your camera?