DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/jvc-gy-hd-series-camera-systems/)
-   -   Repair service needed? In NYC? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/jvc-gy-hd-series-camera-systems/73170-repair-service-needed-nyc.html)

Ben Chace August 7th, 2006 03:27 PM

Repair service needed? In NYC?

Hi,

I have been seeing major breaks in the footage I have recently shot... blocks of artifacts on the screen etc. Is this a sign that my video head needs to be replaced? I have tried using a head cleaning tape without any significant improvement... these are the readings from the camera:

drum time 207 hours
fan time 385 hours

I did use it as a deck for a while before I got the money together for the brhd50..

Does anyone know of a service center in NYC that I can bring this to. I am supposed be shooting in Maine on Sunday night, and need to get a repair asap?

Another question: I have been thinking about getting the DR-HD100 to avoid tapes all together... If I did go tapeless would I still need to get the video head repaired in order to shoot this weekend?

Any quick input would be greatly appreciated, as I am scrambling to figure out what to do, and calling JVC is a labrynth of pre-recorded menu options leading me to new 800 numbers that eventually lead me back to the same menu.. its driving me crazy

Ben Chace August 7th, 2006 03:32 PM

Plan B?

Another question:

If there is no way to get my video head replaced/repaired before Sunday:

Could I connect my HD100 to the BR-HD50 during capture and avoid the breaks... if they are in fact coming from a faulty video head in my camera?

Tim Dashwood August 7th, 2006 04:27 PM

Ben,

What type of tape do you use, and what type of head cleaner?

The DR-HD100 will work without a tape inserted, but it is risky because you no longer have a tape backup.

Connecting the HD100 to the BR-HD50 will work, but the TC will be determined by the BR-HD50.

Ben Chace August 7th, 2006 04:42 PM

I had been using the cheapy Panasonic AY-DVM60EJs and recently I switched to the JVC M-DV69PRDUs ... And there were one or two last minute gigs in there, when I let them provide tapes - foolishly - and used other brands (once I used sonys...)

The head cleaner is a Sony dvm12cld...

I guess I am a fool for switching around - but I figured the head cleaner wouldn't have the same "wet" tape as actual minidvs made by sony...

I appreciate your knowledge and help.. thanks Tim

Carl Hicks August 7th, 2006 10:23 PM

Support options

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ben Chace
Hi,

I have been seeing major breaks in the footage I have recently shot... blocks of artifacts on the screen etc. Is this a sign that my video head needs to be replaced? I have tried using a head cleaning tape without any significant improvement... these are the readings from the camera:

drum time 207 hours
fan time 385 hours

I did use it as a deck for a while before I got the money together for the brhd50..

Does anyone know of a service center in NYC that I can bring this to. I am supposed be shooting in Maine on Sunday night, and need to get a repair asap?

Another question: I have been thinking about getting the DR-HD100 to avoid tapes all together... If I did go tapeless would I still need to get the video head repaired in order to shoot this weekend?

Any quick input would be greatly appreciated, as I am scrambling to figure out what to do, and calling JVC is a labrynth of pre-recorded menu options leading me to new 800 numbers that eventually lead me back to the same menu.. its driving me crazy

Hi Ben,

When calling JVC Pro Service, make sure you are calling the right phone number. The correct number for pro service and support is 1-800-582-5825. Hours are Monday thru Friday, 9 AM to 5 PM. Calling any other JVC 800 number is likely to get you into the consumer side, which won't do you much good.

Also note that there is a JVC Pro service center in your area, in Pinebrook, NJ. All of this information can be found on our support webpage, at: http://pro.jvc.com/prof/support/index.jsp . Call 1-800-582-5825, 9 AM to 5 PM. Hit option 7, then wait for a support person to answer. They may be able to help you arrange a quick turn-around in Pinebrook.

By the way I highly recommend the JVC MDV63PROHD tapes and JVC or Panasonic cleaning tapes. My customers that stick with this plan usually have excellent results.

Regards,

Ben Chace August 8th, 2006 08:34 AM

thanks carl. Those were the numbers I had. But I will keep trying to get through.

Gary Williams August 8th, 2006 10:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ben Chace
Hi,

drum time 207 hours
fan time 385 hours

I had the exact same problem I think it is your tapes you should always stay with the same brand don't switch around not good for your camera heads. Clean you heads again and use another tape of the brand you are going to stay with indefinitly, if the tape is deffective you will get the same problems that your speaking of, if how ever you use several tapes bought by different companys but are the same brand and the reason for this is to make sure you didnt get a bab batch of tapes and you still have the same problem I would then send it in to JVC to get the heads cleaned by them and more than likely your problem will go away again if your tape is deffective you will experiance the same problems you speak of.