DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/jvc-gy-hd-series-camera-systems/)
-   -   Motion Smoothing: what is it??? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/jvc-gy-hd-series-camera-systems/73325-motion-smoothing-what.html)

Bill Edmunds August 9th, 2006 04:23 PM

Motion Smoothing: what is it???

The manual says motion smoothing "adds frames" to the signal being recorded. Exactly how many frames are added? Is it 60p or something?

If any of you use it, do you have it on all the time or only selectively?

Stephan Ahonen August 9th, 2006 06:41 PM

Basically, the camera is shooting 60p, but due to technical limitations can only record 30, so it's throwing away half of the frames. Motion smoothing takes the frame it would normally throw away and blends it into the frame that is being recorded. Useful for giving the effect of a longer shutter speed, but not much else. Most people don't like how it looks.

Scott Jaco August 9th, 2006 06:43 PM

I don't use it. If you turn it on, you will see a ghost/tracer image when you hit the pause button. This creates a smoother video look but if you need stills later on, you are screwed.

Brian Duke August 9th, 2006 11:10 PM

I hate Motion Smoothing. It gives you a real video glare after each subject. Turn it off, unless you want double images following your actors when they move.

Steve Mullen August 10th, 2006 04:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brian Duke
I hate Motion Smoothing. It gives you a real video glare after each subject. Turn it off, unless you want double images following your actors when they move.

What pray tell, is "real video glare?"

Motion Smooting isn't really for actors moving around. It's for shooting action scenes when you are using 30p. It is far better than simply shooting 30p -- as the filter eliminates eye strobing artifacts.

John Yamamoto August 10th, 2006 06:55 AM

turn it off for good. u can do it at post

just like sharpness, once u turn on u cant take it out later.
but any simple NLE can put in , simply duplicate the track and blur it set at 50%transparent and set a frame or 1/2 differ.
JY

Stephan Ahonen August 10th, 2006 02:31 PM

You could do it in post if you had access to the full 60p stream... The whole point of motion smoothing is that you only have access to half the frames.

Jonathan Nelson August 10th, 2006 02:56 PM

I wonder if there is any use for motion smoothing. Seems like everyone thinks it is stupid.

Brian Duke August 10th, 2006 06:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steve Mullen
What pray tell, is "real video glare?"

Motion Smooting isn't really for actors moving around. It's for shooting action scenes when you are using 30p. It is far better than simply shooting 30p -- as the filter eliminates eye strobing artifacts.

I shoot only 24p and I get motion streaks when actors move. Or blur, whatever its called. All I can say is, is that "motion Smoothing" ruined several of my shots in the short I did.

Jaadgy Akanni August 10th, 2006 07:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jonathan Nelson
I wonder if there is any use for motion smoothing. Seems like everyone thinks it is stupid.

If you wanna emulate the scene in "Chinese Connection" (or was it "Enter The Dragon"?) where Bruce Lee's hands move in a slow streaking shuffle, motion smoothing will do it for you...lol.

Robert Jackson August 10th, 2006 07:39 PM

Quote:

I shoot only 24p and I get motion streaks when actors move. Or blur, whatever its called.

Well, at 24 fps you're shooting at a 1/48th shutter speed. That's some of the 24P blur. I personally like it. I do whip pans from time to time and when you hit a certain speed the blur completely takes over. Makes for great bumper material. Of course, the other big advantage is that your camera sudeenly shoots at even lower light levels than it would have in 30P. Really handy. Heh...

Steve Mullen August 10th, 2006 08:10 PM

Quote:

I shoot only 24p and I get motion streaks when actors move. Or blur, whatever its called. All I can say is, is that "motion Smoothing" ruined several of my shots in the short I did.

1) You still didn't tell us what "video glare" is. :)

2) ...the MF is NOT for 24p...(Admin Edited.)

3) The MF is for folks shooting 30p who don't want eye strobing artifacts. And, these -- with fast action -- are far worse than the MF look. It doesn't look as good as 60i or 60p, but it looks better than 30p. Just ask anyone with a first generation JVC camcorder.

Greg Boston August 11th, 2006 12:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steve Mullen
1) You still didn't tell us what "video glare" is.

Yes he did. He was referring to the ghost trails left behind when people move while MF is on. Maybe not the best term to describe it, but I understood what he meant.

-gb-

Brian Duke August 11th, 2006 05:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Greg Boston
Yes he did. He was referring to the ghost trails left behind when people move while MF is on. Maybe not the best term to describe it, but I understood what he meant.

-gb-

Thank you =)