DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/jvc-gy-hd-series-camera-systems/)
-   -   Why isn't anything ever easy (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/jvc-gy-hd-series-camera-systems/73658-why-isnt-anything-ever-easy.html)

Jerry Porter August 15th, 2006 12:20 PM

Why isn't anything ever easy

Just got the new computer all reeved up and whiring. Last week I was in DC and shot with a coulleges XL2 for a 3 min interview. Now I'm back in NC and the HD100 won't play the tape. Is there something set wrong or will this thing only playback what it recordes?

Tim Dashwood August 15th, 2006 12:24 PM

It should automatically switch to DV mode. Is your HDV/DV switch is DV position?

Jerry Porter August 15th, 2006 12:28 PM

Yep won't even play in the camera. I know the footage is there.

Nate Weaver August 15th, 2006 12:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tim Dashwood
It should automatically switch to DV mode. Is your HDV/DV switch is DV position?

That is, if the playback menu setting is still set to "Auto"

Jerry, there's a menu setting to set playback to HDV, DV, or auto. Check it out.

Jerry Porter August 15th, 2006 01:05 PM

It's set to auto I don't know what's wrong.

Jerry Porter August 15th, 2006 01:11 PM

It plays and captures fine with tapes shot on the HD?????

Nate Weaver August 15th, 2006 01:26 PM

Okay, were the DV tapes maybe shot in LP mode?

Jerry Porter August 15th, 2006 01:34 PM

Shouldn't have been, but if that would kill it in the HD that is probably what happened. I didn't really check this persons settings.

Mark Silva August 15th, 2006 05:20 PM

If it was shot in LP you'd at least see a pixelated and dropped audio like other DV decks that can't play LP right?

Are you seeing anything at all?

Jerry Porter August 15th, 2006 05:43 PM

nothing off that tape. I just borrowed a friends consumer cam and it captured fine. HMMMMM no to investigate so it doesn't happen again.

Andy Graham August 15th, 2006 05:48 PM

It must have been shot on long play, my hd100e won't play anything shot in LP..i have to use my xl1s to capture it.

Andy.

Nate Weaver August 15th, 2006 06:48 PM

LP is hard for a player to track, because of the smaller than usual track size. Usually the rule is don't use LP unless you're going to be playing back on the camera that recorded it. Even then, it's dicey.

Some devices make an attempt to play back LP, even though they can't quite lock onto the track (which is when you get pixellated gook). Other devices (like the HD100) don't even try, because often it's a lost cause.

Jemore Santos August 15th, 2006 06:53 PM

Probably shot on LP but just wondering if you shot on 24P mode, does the JVC's 24p mode on DV have the same pulldown as the XL2?

Nate Weaver August 15th, 2006 07:27 PM

Any DV 24p mode whether it's 24p or 24pa, will play back in any DV player anywhere. Unless there's tape issues like we're talking about above.

24p and 24pa work within the DV spec, not outside of it.

Robert Bale August 16th, 2006 12:25 AM

Ok then here's a question, hd101e will not play back a hdv tape shot in sp mode,TC is correct but just a blank screen no matter what setting you use,the footage is shot on a sony FX1, but.. if i shoot in sd it works fine, the JVC picks up its dv and you get the pic,audio and time code, ????any ideas ????

rob.