DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/jvc-gy-hd-series-camera-systems/)
-   -   HD100 to FCP workflow (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/jvc-gy-hd-series-camera-systems/73874-hd100-fcp-workflow.html)

Tad Newberry August 18th, 2006 07:40 PM

HD100 to FCP workflow

my apologies if this should be appended to another thread that is already going, but this is my first post here...

i've just shot a pilot with (2) HD100 and was pleased overall with their performance. i would like a few more buttons on the exterior (rather than buried in menus), but i could get used to it. i've already captured everything in FCP with the HDV-720p30 setting, but was surprised to see broken TC even within a single shot as well at virtually every new shot (starting of the camera). i'm new to this, so here are a few dumb questions:

- could i have downloaded it into FCP at 1080i? it seemed from the menus on the camera that i could've, though i don't know if that would've bought me any quality...

- i need to online and master this to an HDCam tape (at 1080i if possible, even though it was shot in 720p), so is there anything else i should be doing in my offline edit to make the online mastering go faster?

- when working in Motion, should i match the FCP resolution (1280 x 720) or go ahead and go "full HD" at 1920 x 1080?

Daniel Weber August 18th, 2006 08:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tad Newberry
my apologies if this should be appended to another thread that is already going, but this is my first post here...

Tad,
Welcome to DVInfo. You will find lots of info on the HD100 here. There are several shooters who use FCP with the HD100.

i've just shot a pilot with (2) HD100 and was pleased overall with their performance. i would like a few more buttons on the exterior (rather than buried in menus), but i could get used to it. i've already captured everything in FCP with the HDV-720p30 setting, but was surprised to see broken TC even within a single shot as well at virtually every new shot (starting of the camera). i'm new to this, so here are a few dumb questions:

- could i have downloaded it into FCP at 1080i? it seemed from the menus on the camera that i could've, though i don't know if that would've bought me any quality...

No, the 1080i output that you are talking about is out the component ports on the camera. If you want to import via firewire into FCP then you will be bringing it in at the 720p that you recorded it to tape. This is the format that you should edit in.

- i need to online and master this to an HDCam tape (at 1080i if possible, even though it was shot in 720p), so is there anything else i should be doing in my offline edit to make the online mastering go faster?

We don't know anything about your editing setup, are you using an HD capture/output card with FCP. Lots of people capture via firewire and then us either a BlackMagic Decklink or AJA card to monitor their footage and then output to tape via SDI.

- when working in Motion, should i match the FCP resolution (1280 x 720) or go ahead and go "full HD" at 1920 x 1080?

Always stick with one resolution setting in your edit. Also not sure what you mean my 1080i being "full HD", there are a lot of people here that would say that 720p is full HD. Both formats have their advantages and disadvantes, but both are full HD.

If you don't have a capture card for you Mac, take a close look at the AJA Kona 3 card.

It would also allow you to bring your footage in via the component outputs of the camera at 720p60. The one disadvantage is that you would have to edit in either uncompressed or another format. Alot of people have been have the capture card convert the footage to DVCPRO HD on capture, this way you can edit at a lower data rate. ( about 7 megs a second for 720p or 18 megs a sec for 1080i).

If you go to AJA's website they have a white paper on how to edit with the Kona 3 card and the HD100.

Good luck with your project. Hope that you find the answers here that you are looking for.

Dan Weber

Steve Mullen August 18th, 2006 08:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tad Newberry

You do have a problem. :)

In fact several.

Are you planning to pass this off as NOT shot in 720p30?

Can you deliver on DVCPRO HD at 720p60?

How about D5 at 720p60?

You need to fully work this out before you start editing -- ideally before you capture.

Lastly, if you plan to finish using FCP the TC issues are minor compared to all else.