DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/jvc-gy-hd-series-camera-systems/)
-   -   Editing HDVSD50P footage in AvidLiquid 7.1 (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/jvc-gy-hd-series-camera-systems/75061-editing-hdvsd50p-footage-avidliquid-7-1-a.html)

Jonathan Porter September 8th, 2006 05:08 AM

Editing HDVSD50P footage in AvidLiquid 7.1

G'day from OZ,

I'm away from my home PC at the moment and as such have to make do with a CDMA internet connection which then prevents me from accessing some of the excellent downloads made available on editing the HDVSD50P footage from my GY-HD101 camera within Avid Liquid. I have a pretty powerful laptop along with me with Avid Liquid 7.1 installed, after reading through some of the help files within Liquid I soon realised I need to place a 100% timewarp to the ingested 50 FPS footage to get the slowed down effect (I assume ot convert to 25FPS (sorry blokes I'm in PAL land :-)) I'm seeking, however when I do this I no longer can view the entire clip slowed down, and trying to place a cut then the 100% timewarp still acts on the whole clip rather than the cut.

When I get back to civilisation I intend downloading the help files, but in the mean time can someone tell me the basics behind editing this material within Avid Liquid so I can stop driving myself nuts trying to figure this out whilst I am still on the road (I would also like to garner a little faith in the HDVSD50P concept whilst still in the field, that the option hopefully has merit for when I get back to the editing suite).

Jonthan Porter

Stephen L. Noe September 8th, 2006 07:32 PM

Specifically what do you need to know to get you up and running?

Jonathan Porter September 8th, 2006 11:15 PM

OK, when I capture the footage into Liquid onto an SD 16:9 timeline even though the clip properties shows 50FPS it plays back as normal speed rather than 25FPS. I assumed 50FPS footage would play back at half the speed on a 25FPS timeline. So I suppose there is a way of manipulating Liquid to handle this material either via a 100% timwarp or some other means, hence the question put to others more experienced than me.

I tried to place a 100% timewarp and it did indeed slow the footage down but for some reason I cannot play out the whole clip (I assume the timewarp is keeping the clip the same length). So I suppose I am searching for a work flow so I can play with some of this material until I can get back to civilisation and download your WMV files Steven.

JP

PS Thanks for taking the time to answer my questions mate, without some of your encouragement it would be a virtual drought for us Liquid/HD101 users. :-)

Stephen L. Noe September 8th, 2006 11:27 PM

Have you seen this tutorial? It explains the whole biz

50p Tutorial

The tutorial explains exactly HOW to do it.

Antony Michael Wilson September 9th, 2006 04:12 AM

That's for sure. Stephen is THE resource for Liquid users. Here in the UK there is practically no sensible support. Avid resellers aren't interested, Avid don't seem AT ALL interested and the European support line is a joke. I received a reply to a question 6 days later and they had completely misunderstood the question, even though I had phoned and emailed with a precise description.

Thanks, Stephen, for your help in general and in detail!

Jonathan Porter September 9th, 2006 05:10 AM

Thanks for that Steven, hopefully the downloads will still be available when I get back home at the end of October as the 32Meg files are too much for my present internet connection. I assume because I am already starting off with what is essentially a PAL format (HDVSD50P) and most probably delivering to a PAL SD 16:9 DVD then I just need to apply a linear timewarp to the clip to get the desired effect (really nice slow mo). Obvioulsy I would like to gain some faith and experience in what the format can do for me whilst I am still in the field shooting footage for my next project.

JP