DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/jvc-gy-hd-series-camera-systems/)
-   -   Footage from Tallinn, Estonia (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/jvc-gy-hd-series-camera-systems/75652-footage-tallinn-estonia.html)

Stephen L. Noe September 16th, 2006 07:49 PM

Footage from Tallinn, Estonia

Here is a clip taken in Tallinn, Estonia (Eastern Europe) for your enjoyment. All effects were done in camera (blurs etc). Color was adjusted in camera as well so this is raw stuff. The camera resolved dust on the ND filter during the macro zooms but that's life when your shooting docs, Right!? The Doc these shots belong to will be complete in Feb 07 for your viewing pleasure (if you watch PBS).

Tallinn Estonia Old Town wmv .

Enjoy and keep shooting!

Scott Harper September 16th, 2006 08:59 PM

Very beautiful stuff, Stephen. What lens and camera settings did you use?

Jonathan Nelson September 17th, 2006 03:09 AM

What tripod did you use?

I don't watch PBS that often but I just put that date on my calendar. I can't wait to see it. I'll tell my dad: "yeah, that was done with my camera"; he is a PBS whore.

Your footage looks great!

Steven Polley September 17th, 2006 09:39 PM

Stephen,
What was your primary recipe for the nice colours?
Also was this shot in 720 30p or 24p

Thanks

Jordi Dusanek September 18th, 2006 04:09 AM

That was awesome, a bit shaky sometimes, but very beatiful.

Stephen L. Noe September 18th, 2006 07:16 AM

Hi guys,

Scott, the principal scene file was Panamatch. I used ND2 + 0.6 ND filter and higher shutter speed on the stock 16x lens to get the images where I wanted them (color wise). Steven, it's a 30fps project (no film). Johnathan, the tripod was my ultra light Libec M20. Some shots in that piece were at full zoom like the weather vane and bell tower etc.I'm in the market for a new ultra light tripod since the M20 is a little too light for the HD-100. Jordi, you're right, I'll get around to correcting the nuances later.

The camera does make a beautiful image. Enjoy.

Luis Otero September 18th, 2006 09:46 AM

Stephen,

Beautiful! Great latitude and very nice compositions and angles. I am so happy I own one of this cameras.

Luis

David Scattergood September 18th, 2006 10:18 AM

Yes - superb Stephen.
You could worse than try the new (ish) Libec LS38 - perfect for the HD100 and brilliantly made.

Robert Castiglione September 18th, 2006 04:56 PM

"higher shutter speeds"

Stephen, yes beautiful looking footage. I notice you used the onbooard ND filter and then added another 2 stops of light reduction and adusted shutter speed. How does manipulation of shutter speeds affect colour?

Rob

Stephan Ahonen September 18th, 2006 05:18 PM

Shutter shouldn't affect color at all, it just increases or decreases the raw amount of light that the chips register. If you're using a scene file in which a color will change hue or saturation the brighter or darker it gets, then that's the only way shutter would affect colors.

Jack Walker September 18th, 2006 05:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stephen L. Noe
Hi guys,

Scott, the principal scene file was Panamatch. I used ND2 + 0.6 ND filter and higher shutter speed on the stock 16x lens to get the images where I wanted them (color wise).

Stephan,

Doesn't he mean that he used the higher shutter speed to get less light, in combination to with the ND filters, to get bright, but not washed out colors.

On a side note, in some circumstances, wouldn't a higher shutter speed on video give a "crispness" to the image that would enhance the vibrancy of the colors?

Paolo Ciccone September 18th, 2006 06:10 PM

Amazingly crisp images Stephen, the front side of the church, toward the end, jumps out of the screen! :)

Mark Williams September 18th, 2006 06:11 PM

Stephen,

Very nice footage. Great color saturation.

Regards,

Stephan Ahonen September 18th, 2006 06:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jack Walker
Doesn't he mean that he used the higher shutter speed to get less light, in combination to with the ND filters, to get bright, but not washed out colors.

ND = Neutral Density, doesn't affect color saturation or hue at all. All that ND and shutter do is cut down light to let you open your iris more and in shutter's case, strobify motion a bit.

Quote:

On a side note, in some circumstances, wouldn't a higher shutter speed on video give a "crispness" to the image that would enhance the vibrancy of the colors?
I'm not sure how the motion characteristic of the video affect color rendition. Might be worthwhile to try it out, but I've never noticed a visible difference in color rendering when I kick in shutter.

Miltos Pilalitos September 18th, 2006 07:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stephan Ahonen
ND = Neutral Density, doesn't affect color saturation or hue at all.

When you have an ND filter on the lens you can open more the iris without overexposing your image.

The more open the iris is the more saturated the colours will be. This is what you learn in the first year of filmschool. :)

So, Neutral Density filters DO affect color saturation. You can try it yourself at home. Lock the camera in position and take the same shot with the iris almost closed and wide open (adjust exposure with ND). When you compare the two takes you will see that the one with the Iris open has obviously more colour saturation.