DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/jvc-gy-hd-series-camera-systems/)
-   -   Scene File Editor (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/jvc-gy-hd-series-camera-systems/76247-scene-file-editor.html)

Joachim Claus September 26th, 2006 11:00 AM

Scene File Editor

Does anybody know about an editing software to read/modify HD100-scene files?
Joachim Claus

Ben Brainerd September 26th, 2006 11:38 AM

As of yet, I don't think one exists. I don't think JVC has published the spec for the .SCN files, so creating a PC-based editor for them would probably involve quite a bit of hacking. And it might technically be a violation of the DMCA here in the US.

That's not to say it's not possible. Just that no one has done it yet. Although I wouldn't hold my breath waiting for one. I personally can't see any real use in editing the scene files off-camera, as you wouldn't be able to see the results of your work.

Now, a Firewire based control program, that would allow you to manipulate the camera settings from a computer, without mucking about in menus, would be VERY cool.

Jon Jaschob September 26th, 2006 12:16 PM

I think a desktop editor with a simple color bars to see the effect would be great. But I won't hold my breath.

Joe Carney September 26th, 2006 12:32 PM

It would be nice if they could ship a firmware update that allowed the hd100 to load custom named scn files and show the name in the menu. So instead of just 1,2,3,4 we could have 1=tc3,2=whatever....creating new ones and saving would still have to be 1,2,3,4 then changed in your pc.

Tim Dashwood September 26th, 2006 12:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Joe Carney
It would be nice if they could ship a firmware update that allowed the hd100 to load custom named scn files and show the name in the menu. So instead of just 1,2,3,4 we could have 1=tc3,2=whatever....creating new ones and saving would still have to be 1,2,3,4 then changed in your pc.

The HD100 does show the name of the scene file in the load screen when you are choosing one of the 4 external files. It is only on the actual card, when read by an OS, that the files need to be named 1 through 4.
I'd be happy if they could figure out how to expand the maximum amount of scene files per card to beyond 4.

I'd love to get together with a programmer to create a scene file editor. I have a few good ideas for the interface and functionality, but unfortunately JVC has never released a SDK. When Canon released the SDK for the XL2 it didn't take long for Blue Barn to create a scene file editor. http://www.dvinfo.net/canonxl2/articles/article15.php

Jon Jaschob September 26th, 2006 11:20 PM

That looks nice Tim,
I would like to be able to load image files to see the effects of my settings real time. Yes, it would be cool to carry 50 different settings on the camera too. I don't think it would be too costly for JVC to provide the application, let alone a SDK. I am also a musician and all my digital music purchases are based upon two things, #1, quality of sound, #2, how easy to use is the UI. Sometimes I sacrifice a bit of quality for ease of use. A scene file editor with real time feed back on an image would complete the HD 100 package, imho.
Jon

Marc Colemont September 27th, 2006 07:40 AM

It would be great yes to be able to store more then 4 scenes.
I always have to carry my laptop to make sure I have all scene files with me.
It reminds me to an old cellphone who can only old 6 SMS messages, why not use the available storage on the card?

Earl Thurston September 27th, 2006 11:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tim Dashwood
I'd be happy if they could figure out how to expand the maximum amount of scene files per card to beyond 4.

Agreed. It's a shame they stopped at such a low, arbitrary limit, especially considering the memory card is removable and has the potential for huge amounts of storage.

Though, having worked in the electronics manufacturing business many years ago, I understand how these limitations sometimes come up. For example, the feature could be expanded, but it may require more firmware memory to handle the extra programming.

Also, my brother works for Electronic Arts, and they used to have to budget for ROM space on cartridge-based games. One tiny little feature requiring a few extra KBs of memory could equate to several thousands (if not millions) of extra dollars in manufacturing the cartridges. Many things that seemed easy to add got cut because of this sort of thing.

Ben Brainerd September 27th, 2006 11:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tim Dashwood
I'd love to get together with a programmer to create a scene file editor. I have a few good ideas for the interface and functionality, but unfortunately JVC has never released a SDK.

I know a couple of good programmers. And some of them have expressed willingness to work on such a project. ("If you'll stop bugging me with every bit of video news that I don't know/care about")

The problem is the SDK. Without it, it'd be a tough job to figure out the formats of the .SCN files, much less camera control.

Has anyone asked Carl, or one of the other JVC reps, what the chances of getting an SDK are? Someone like, oh, Tim maybe? :) I figure you've got a lot of clout with the community, maybe you'll get better results.