DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/jvc-gy-hd-series-camera-systems/)
-   -   Idx Battery Promo...worth It? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/jvc-gy-hd-series-camera-systems/76589-idx-battery-promo-worth.html)

Hayk Paul October 2nd, 2006 12:36 AM

Idx Battery Promo...worth It?

So with my new 110 there is a promotion with IDX...

1) -A-E2HD100 (Adaptor bracket for 110u)
-VL-2 (2-channel multi-format sequential charger for ENDURA)
-E7S (71 Wh Li-Ion ENDURA battery with 3 LED power indicator feature)
-O-FS100KIT (Mounting bracket for DR-HD100 Hard Disk Recorder)

Promotion price $719 (MSRP $1,199)

2) -A-E2HD100
-NH100V (Single NP-style box with V-mount)
-NP-L7S (71 Wh Li-Ion NP style battery with 3 LED power indicator feature)
-O-FS100KIT (Mounting bracket for DR-HD100 Hard Disk Recorder)

Promotion price $545 (MSRP $845)

I'm thinking of going with #1, because the second package doesn't come with a charger. Have you guys used any of these batteries, how much time do they give? Is this this worth it? Thanks.

Brian Luce October 2nd, 2006 01:02 AM

I have the free promo kit that came with the hd100. It's great! I think the charger retails for $549? what good it a battery without the charger.

Hayk Paul October 2nd, 2006 12:25 PM

But is this a good deal??

Jack Walker October 2nd, 2006 01:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hayk Paul
But is this a good deal??

Check the prices at B&H and compare to the promo prices. If they are cheaper, they are a good deal. The lower the promo price in comparison the better the deal.

There are several threads here talking about the battery options for the HD100, discussing the IDX, the Anton Bauer and other alternatives.

In short, one needs an add-on battery in most situations since the supplied battery lasts about 30 minutes and the JVC battery for purchase lasts no more than 60 minues.

The IDX and Anton Bauer (and similar batteries) last several hours depending on the exact capacity and what all is being run off it on the camera.

In general, the 90 batteries last about 5 hours if I'm not mistaken.

The professional batteries also help to balance the camera for both sholder and tripod use.

Eric Kome October 2nd, 2006 02:27 PM

i think you and i bought our cams at around the same time. i opted to skip the IDX promo and go with anton bauer, but mostly because, i need at least 2 batteries (90s), and wanted a charger that could charge both batteries at the same time (the titan 2) as opposed to the VL2 sequential charger, so i would have been wasting $ on a charger i didn't need.

John Vincent October 3rd, 2006 02:51 PM

I have the IDX and so far, so good! You absolutely need a large battery for this camera. It's not so much that the camera uses more power than other HDV cameras (I believe they're fairly comparable), but that the supplied battery is so poor. A half hour is optimistic...

The IDX does hold a charge for a nice amount of time. All times will be affected by how you use the camera - ie - are you running other things off of the battery, do you use the flip out screen a lot, etc.

Five hours is about right as a base time.

Look around, you might be able to find a better price, but $700 is not a rip-off, for sure.

jdv