DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/jvc-gy-hd-series-camera-systems/)
-   -   Problem after updating BR-HD50 (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/jvc-gy-hd-series-camera-systems/76633-problem-after-updating-br-hd50.html)

Carlos San Roman October 2nd, 2006 03:21 PM

Problem after updating BR-HD50

After I updated FCP (to 5.1.2) and my BR-HD50 (to 106) I've encountered a small problem. When I capture I can see my footage on the external monitor and hear the audio through the mixer (both connected to my BR-HD50). But when I play the captured footage in my timeline or viewer window it doesn't seem that the signal is getting back to the deck. The audio switches over to the computer speakers but nothing seems to be making it to the monitor or mixer. Prior to the update I could preview my timeline though the external monitor and mixer.

Does anyone know what would be causing this? Is this a FCP issue or Deck issue?

Thanks,

Carlos

Tim Dashwood October 2nd, 2006 06:03 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Are you sure you could get a live feed with HDV material when playing back, or only DV?

DV mode has always been able to output from an NLE via firewire. However, as far as I know, HDV has not had the same ability - hence the need for 3rd party cards such as Kona or Decklink. The only other option was to "Print to Tape," where FCP would assemble the timeline back into a proper transport stream and send it out to tape.

However, I could be wrong... and some new FCP5.1.2 greyed out options in the video playback menu might point to future compatibility with HDV live output. The screen grab below was taken when the HD100 was connected. The firmware update in the BR-HD50 might unlock these HDV options.

Carlos San Roman October 2nd, 2006 11:32 PM

Hi Tim,

By the way thanks on the 23.98 preset procedure.

Your right I never tried to play HDV through the system before. Until the update came out I had never captured any HDV to FCP. But I do know that the system worked in DV and I can't seem to get that to work. Any ideas?

As far as your screen grab...wow, I don't get anything that looks like that. I only get four options: None, the two grayed out HDV, and digital cinema desktop preview -main. I guess the update did not make the grayed out options available.

I have noticed that when I switch my audio/video settings I have to quit and restart FCP in order for it to connect to the deck. But even that does not allow me to see the timeline footage through the monitor in DV mode.

I'll bust out the manual but any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Carlos

Tim Dashwood October 3rd, 2006 12:19 AM

To get live DV output you should be able to switch the deck to DV input and then refresh devices in the view menu. Now select DV - NTSC (or PAL) as the video playback device and select "All Frames" in External Video.

The only reason I have the Blackmagic and DC30 codecs is that I have a Blackmagic Decklink card and happened to install the DC30 codecs to output reference quicktimes for a sound post house I work with.

Carlos San Roman October 3rd, 2006 12:45 AM

Thanks Tim that worked. I had done all of the above except select the "All Frames".

Since I can't playback, in HDV, throught the deck; if I was to hook up another HD Cinema display to my G5 would I be able to preview the timeline in that monitor?

Tim Dashwood October 3rd, 2006 01:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Carlos San Roman
can't playback, in HDV, throught the deck; if I was to hook up another HD Cinema display to my G5 would I be able to preview the timeline in that monitor?

Yes. You don't even need a full HD Cinema display.
You would just choose "Digital Cinema Desktop Preview - Full Screen" as your video device. I have a cheap LG 1280x768 LCD display connected to the DVI port on my system that I use from time to time. It isn't as good for colour reproduction as a real CRT HD display, but it still displays a pixel to pixel representation of 720P.

Carlos San Roman October 5th, 2006 12:27 AM

Thanks for all the help Tim it's very much appreciated.

Carlos