DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/jvc-gy-hd-series-camera-systems/)
-   -   GY-HD family feature set comparison (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/jvc-gy-hd-series-camera-systems/81636-gy-hd-family-feature-set-comparison.html)

Carl Hicks December 12th, 2006 09:29 PM

GY-HD family feature set comparison

JVC has just posted a page that shows the progession of features that are offered in the GY-HD family of camcorders. Many questions on this forum have been questions asking about the features differences between the three current models. This page shoud answer most of those questions:

http://pro.jvc.com/pro/attributes/HD...amcorders.html

Please enter this post as a "sticky"

Regards,

Carl

David Parks December 12th, 2006 10:11 PM

Thanks Carl..

One of the features of the 200/250 is called out as "White Shading", an adjustment for different lens characteristics.

Can you explain what "white shading" does to the image?

Thanks and Cheers

Carl Hicks December 12th, 2006 10:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by David Parks
One of the features of the 200/250 is called out as "White Shading", an adjustment for different lens characteristics.

Can you explain what "white shading" does to the image?

Thanks and Cheers

A quick explanation: If a lens is not optically matched to a camera, then sometimes a slight "shading", or color impurity can occur. In other words, a slight color shift from the top to the bottom of the picture. This usually only happens with lenses that are not the "standard" lens that the camera comes with, as cameras are adjusted at the factory to be properly shaded with the "standard" lens. The white shading adjustment allows a user to eliminate any color shading caused by an optional lens. Until now, this was an adjustment only found in much more expensive video cameras, costing several times what the GY-HD200 and GYHD250 cost.

David Parks December 12th, 2006 11:11 PM

Thanks Carl, I can see where the white shading adjustment is an important high-end feature for those who especially use some sort of prime lense set. I'm glad JVC packed a lot of great features into this small affodable camera. Hopefully I'll be able to bump up from my HD 100 to the 200 next year.

Sergio Barbosa December 13th, 2006 04:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Carl Hicks
A quick explanation: If a lens is not optically matched to a camera, then sometimes a slight "shading", or color impurity can occur. In other words, a slight color shift from the top to the bottom of the picture. This usually only happens with lenses that are not the "standard" lens that the camera comes with, as cameras are adjusted at the factory to be properly shaded with the "standard" lens.

Carl,

That happens with my HD100 and, as I recall, other people in this forum reported the same issue.
My camera shades from magenta on top, to green on bottom (with the iris fully open). Is this fixable via firmware update?

Thanks in advance,
Sergio.

Jemore Santos December 13th, 2006 06:05 AM

I too have this same problem with the stock lens
a magenta tinge on top while a green on the bottom at an open iris

Diogo Athouguia December 14th, 2006 05:20 PM

I also have it when iris is fully opened, it's the only thing I really dislike about the HD100. Isn't it a chromatic aberration? This is the "standard" lens, it shouldn't happen.

So, can this issue be masked on the HD200?

Tim Dashwood December 14th, 2006 05:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Diogo Athouguia
Isn't it a chromatic aberration?

Yes... it is a form of it.

The original HD100 is supposedly set at the factory for white shading characteristics of the stock 16x lens.

Here's more from a Sony white paper.
http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/attachmen...tachmentid=373

Jiri Bakala December 14th, 2006 05:42 PM

Cross conversion

The comparison chart states in relation to the HD200:
- New cross converter outputs 1080i from live or recorded HDV

Does it mean that the cross-conversion happens over the FW connection or only over the analogue component connectors?

Tim Dashwood December 14th, 2006 05:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jiri Bakala
The comparison chart states in relation to the HD200:
- New cross converter outputs 1080i from live or recorded HDV

Does it mean that the cross-conversion happens over the FW connection or only over the analogue component connectors?

Just the SDI and analog outputs. Cross-converting digitally to firewire would require a 1080i encoder for 25Mbps data stream.

Jiri Bakala December 14th, 2006 05:46 PM

The HD200 doesn't have HD-SDI, though. And as far as 1080i out of the analogue component, the deck already allows for that so for people who already have the HD50 this functionality is not so important. If it were a FW conversion, that would be a different story...:-(

Tim Dashwood December 14th, 2006 05:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jiri Bakala
The HD200 doesn\'t have HD-SDI, though. And as far as 1080i out of the analogue component, the deck already allows for that so for people who already have the HD50 this functionality is not so important. If it were a FW conversion, that would be a different story...:-(

Even the original HD100 can cross-convert to 1080i on component out from tape playback. What is new here is the ability to do it live, allowing 1080PsF captures to a Wafian or similar device.
As well, now that 1080P LCD screens are becoming widely available it would be smarter to have the camera do the cross-conversion rather than the consumer TV.

Matt Setnes December 14th, 2006 06:18 PM

Do i have to take my camera in to fix this problem then, if I get the color shift? I\'ve seen it multiple times with the standard lens

Tim Dashwood December 14th, 2006 06:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Matt Setnes
Do i have to take my camera in to fix this problem then, if I get the color shift? I\'ve seen it multiple times with the standard lens

That\'s something that falls into the gray area of whether it is actually miscalibrated or calibrated as well as it can be for the stock lens you have.
If you can borrow someone else\'s lens and test it it would at least rule out faulty lens.
When I connect the 13x lens to the HD100 there is virtually no white shading visible. My stock lens does show some white shading, but not as bad as some examples that have been uploaded. It is defintely worst when the aperture is fully open. F4 is sweet spot.

Carl Hicks December 14th, 2006 11:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tim Dashwood
Yes... it is a form of it.

The original HD100 is supposedly set at the factory for white shading characteristics of the stock 16x lens.

Here\'s more from a Sony white paper.
http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/attachmen...tachmentid=373

Tim speaks the truth here and in other parts of this thread about how the quality of the lens does affect both chromatic aberration and white shading issues, as well as your iris setting and your zoom setting. The 16X "stock" lens needs to be thought of as an "entry-level" lens, thus there are some weaknesses. The fact is that all of our cameras have interchangeable lenses which offers the customer the ability to upgrade the lens, thus improving image accuracy and quality.

The Sony link that gives the explanation of white shading is good information. I thought it also interesting that the article states that white shading is available on Sony\'s "high-end broadcast cameras". I suspect that they are talking about cameras in the $25,000 and up range. The JVC GY-HD200 and GY-HD250 units offer white shading at prices starting at $7995.

Regards,