DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/jvc-gy-hd-series-camera-systems/)
-   -   Has anyone noticed noisy mic pre's on the HD110? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/jvc-gy-hd-series-camera-systems/86724-has-anyone-noticed-noisy-mic-pres-hd110.html)

Kit Hannah February 16th, 2007 08:11 PM

Has anyone noticed noisy mic pre's on the HD110?

Hey all, we're running HD110's. We did a shoot the other day with a few cameras and really noticed the background "white noise" on all the cameras when recorded in a very quiet setting. So we went back and took a look at some of our other projects - same thing. We have run the camera on lots of different settings, including auto and manual. Is there something we're doing wrong or is it a limitation of the 384kbps for the HDV audio?

Allan Black February 16th, 2007 08:19 PM

Is there something in the gain structure of an external mic. or mixer setup?

Kit Hannah February 16th, 2007 09:27 PM

We have been using the stock mic along with some Audio Technica Pro37's. They all have the noise in the background. We've been trying to EQ it out, but it spans a pretty broad range of frequiencies (Sounds like all of them).

Steve Oakley February 16th, 2007 10:49 PM

my hd100 has very noisey audio inputs. I just haven't had a break yet to get it services. its a problem. I've fixed it by running the audio through audition and using A's very good tools to remove 90% of it.

Steve Oakley

Kit Hannah February 17th, 2007 01:58 AM

Our HD110's are about a month old. Thought maybe it was a stock problem, just a bad S/N Ratio or something. I'll have to check the specs compared to other equipment. It's the same in both cameras, so I highly doubt that it's a fluke thing.

Scott Jaco February 17th, 2007 09:15 AM

Are you using Auto mode?

Try adjusting the gain structure manually.

Stephen L. Noe February 17th, 2007 10:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kit Hannah
Hey all, we're running HD110's. We did a shoot the other day with a few cameras and really noticed the background "white noise" on all the cameras when recorded in a very quiet setting. So we went back and took a look at some of our other projects - same thing. We have run the camera on lots of different settings, including auto and manual. Is there something we're doing wrong or is it a limitation of the 384kbps for the HDV audio?

Have a look at this thread Click Here.

Seems like your camera needs service if your getting bad audio. The preamps should be great with a good mic.

Steve Oakley February 18th, 2007 02:02 AM

on my camera, with nothing plugged in, I get hiss. set up

MIC position, start gain at 2 or 3 and there is some hiss. get to 6 its loud, at 10 its a jet engine.

Line position it quieter, but once you get to 8+ its there. Only way i can work is to feed my wireless in at line level, set the camera to around 3, and trim the mic level at the receiver ( lectrosonics ). I've limped this along for several months and am out of factory warranty, but I do have an extended warranty. I just need to figure out when I can send it in. I never noticed this when I first got the camera because I was shooting MOS or just wanting basic nat sound and not being critical about anything.

Johnnie Behiri February 18th, 2007 09:28 AM

Same thing here with my HD-111 (was the same with the 101 I had before).
Actually input 1 is relatively clean, but input 2 is very noisy.