DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/jvc-gy-hd-series-camera-systems/)
-   -   1/3" Lenses for ProHD Cameras (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/jvc-gy-hd-series-camera-systems/87459-1-3-lenses-prohd-cameras.html)

Brian Ladue February 24th, 2007 02:38 PM

1/3" Lenses for ProHD Cameras

I think it might be very beneficial to those of us who are making the purchase of a ProHD Camera (100/110/200/250) to know what each lens has to offer, so we can make an informed decision when we chose a lens to go with our shiny new Camera. Can you post the lens you use and what you think of it, maybe pros and cons.......even the stock lens, if thats what you have. Thanks

Brian Ladue February 24th, 2007 03:11 PM

anyone try the canon 20X5 lens?

Sean Adair February 24th, 2007 06:05 PM

Fujinon Th17x5BRMU

With my last camera, I always had the feeling that the lens was the weak link (JVC GY-DV500 with standard lens). I never did get around to replacing it. In researching my HD200 purchase (much of that here!), reports of the standard 16x lens chromatic aberration and general issues came up often enough to haunt me. I couldn't afford the coveted 13x, or get away with it as my "only lens" The other high end models (18x fuji, 20x canon) also pushed my budget, without specific promise... But the new 17x at $3300 list, was in my range. This is about 3x the price of the standard lens. The other attraction was that the extra multiplication factor was at the wide angle section of the range - a place I like. I bought it sight unseen, and without a report - I just figured a new broadcast lens from fujinon in this price range would be likely to have some valuable extra quality built in as well.
I've only played with the 16x on expo floors, and seen posts here, so I can't really compare them side to side. I do like the feel of this lens though, and appreciate the extra smidgon of wide angle field of view. It works with my of fujinon remote zoom control, which is a nice plus. It also has a port for a remote focus, which isn't a major factor at the moment. Visually it mostly can be distinguished from the 16x by the focus ring, which is a wider flanged ring.
I have been able to induce chromatic aberration - but my feeling is that it's probably less of a problem with this lens than the stock one. I'll report more once I've tested it more. In the meantime, here are some stats on the lens which might help potential purchasers who can't find them elsewhere.
f/1.4 at 5 - 85mm
M.O.D.: 0.9 m, 0.05 m in macro
object area in M.O.D. wide: 872 x 490mm, tele 51 x 29mm
Clear aperture of lens: front: 71.0mm, Rear 24.5mm
Filter screw: M82 x 0.75 (same as 16x)
zoom servo operating time: 1.8 - 15 sec.
Mass (without hood): 1.25kg
length (without hood): 185.5mm (I think about an inch longer than the 16x)
It was noted here in another post here that an accessory rail mounted focus control worked on this lens that wouldn't on the 16x.
PS - what are the actual servo speed times for the 16x lens so we have a comparision here? I couldn't see this online.

Marc Jayson February 25th, 2007 04:00 AM

I tested the 13x and the 18x...

They are both great lenses, the 13x is perfect for wide shots and hasn't got any signs of "breathing" the 18x has great options and a super fast zoom, you can adjust the zoom speed! Unfortunately the 18x has some "breathing". CA is noticeably less on both lenses then the standard 16x.

I have to test the 18x again so I can make up my mind and buy one of the 2 lenses.

Fujinon 18x:
Mount: Bayonet
Image Format: 1/3" ProHD (HDV)
Focal Length: 4.2-76mm (18x Zoom)
Aperture: f/1.4 at 4.2-76mm
Iris Type: Servo
Focus Type: Servo
Horizontal View Angle: 63° at 4.2mm 4° at 76mm
Minimum Object Distance (M.O.D.): 1.3' (0.6 m)
Macro: Standard
Dimensions (WxHxD) :3.2 x 3.2 x 8.1" (8.2 x 8.2 x 20.7 cm)
Weight: 3.3 lb (1.5 kg)

Teodor Miljevic February 25th, 2007 03:18 PM

Please give us more on the 17x5BRMU

Can someone else tell us more about the 17x5. Is it visibly sharper at the extrems than the stock 16x5.5(tele and wide)? My main concerne is that the upgrade is visible in term of picture quality especially on the sharpness front. Can someone comment on that?

Werner Wesp March 12th, 2007 03:26 AM

I'm a little tron between the Canon 20x5 and the Fujinon 13x3.5. Actually the Fujinon 18x4.2 would be perfect, but it's €4500 more then the 13x nowadays in Europe (and €3000 more then the Canon)...

I worry that 46mm tele won't be that much for short focal depth images. 100 mm on the Canon would be nice, but perhaps even overkill. 3.5 on the wide end is overkill for me, but 5mm might be a bit narrow - I could get used to it, but still...

Can anyone comment on the picture quality of the lenses, artifacts, level of CA, breathing etc?

Bill Ravens March 12th, 2007 07:42 AM

I bought the fujinon 17x5. I consider it a great step up from the stock 16x lens. CA is better than the 16x, but, still noticeable. But, resolution throughtout the zoom range is considerably better than the 16x, especially at 17x. The optical element aperture is noticeably larger then the stock lens, this is the reason for the increase in weight. The other thing I like about the 17x is the metal lens barrel. The 16x has a fairly flimsy and cheap plastic lens barrel. Not good when attaching a matte box to it because it distorts and jams the focus ring.