DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/jvc-gy-hd-series-camera-systems/)
-   -   White balance with PC TruColor v3 is green (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/jvc-gy-hd-series-camera-systems/87814-white-balance-pc-trucolor-v3-green.html)

George Strother February 28th, 2007 06:47 PM

White balance with PC TruColor v3 is green

I have been testing with the PC TruColor v3 setup file and find that white balance taken with a DSC white card or a Vortex Warm 1 or Warm 2 has a green shift.

Is this normal for the PC TruColor v3 setup? Does it need to use presets only, or do I have a camera problem?

Paolo Ciccone March 1st, 2007 01:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by George Strother (Post 633709)
I have been testing with the PC TruColor v3 setup file and find that white balance taken with a DSC white card or a Vortex Warm 1 or Warm 2 has a green shift.

White balance is not affected by the configuration file. It's another issue. Try using different configuration while keeping the same lighting and chart and you'll see. Be aware of the fact that if you store a config file that operation will also store the white balance at that moment. If you then white balance and then switch to the config file your whote balance will be reset to what it was when you save the configuration. In order to correctly test a scene file you need to load the file first and then set the white balance.

George Strother March 1st, 2007 11:48 AM

Hi Paolo. Thanks for the note.

White and warm balance were performed after the file was loaded. This hasn't happened on other scene files, just TC3.

I like the overall look of TC3. I was only wondering if this green shift affected other HD100s, or just mine.

Ian Savage March 1st, 2007 12:06 PM

I used it the other day on my 101E and the footage was green as well, didn't cause any problems in post though, there was loads and loads of detail to play with,white balance was also carried out after loading the file.

George Strother March 1st, 2007 12:14 PM

Thanks Ian, that's what I wanted to know. Maybe I should have mentioned that fixing it in post is cake. On set, it does freak the client out though.

Paolo Ciccone March 1st, 2007 01:09 PM

Just for the record: there is no green cast with TrueColor, not the way I made it. It would be silly to make a scene file that looks green just to fix it in post. Please double check your settings and verify the calibration of the camera using a vectorscope and appropriate chart. There can be variations to the camera that can cause the color matrix to react slightly differently, although this is the first time I hear about it. The whole point of TrueColor is to give the most neutral image acheivable with the HD100. TrueColor is not a "look" configuration but a way of preserving your data signal so that post work can be done with the maximum amount of information available.
The configuration has been tested on the field by myself on commerciale shots and endless interviews in a 3-camera setup and it never showed a green cast. Many people from this forum also used it and never reported anything like this. Keep in mind that TrueColor or any other scene made for the HD100 will not work with the HD200/250 series.

Ian Savage March 1st, 2007 01:47 PM

I double checked everything on the day of the shoot as I wasn't happy with the look but as it was a small shoot for myself it wasn't an issue, I tried other scene files and all seems fine with them, all as I would expect but the day of the shoot was quite horrible weather so it wasn't a day to be playing around really, I didn't mean to say it was normal the green cast just that it had happened to me also, since then I have been working alongside a PDX10 so have been running a scene file that matches in with that and have been a tad busy to go deeper into why this happened and as I have a 17" Panny monitor due to turn up any day I wasn't going to play till I could truly have a look at the output on that, the camera has been at JVC in the last year for updates, checked and passed with them and all other scene files look fine and the same as before the updates, I didn't have true color on the camera before then to say it is any different I'm afraid.

To be honest I thought that it must be a setting that was wrong but I couldn't find anything, now someone else has said the same thing I'll dive back in and triple check.

Thanks for the response Paolo, I'll see what I can discover.

William Hohauser March 1st, 2007 02:48 PM

Never had a green cast with TC3 either. Sounds like a camera quirk.

George Strother March 1st, 2007 03:32 PM

Probably a quirk in my camera, maybe Ian's.

Presets are fine, I never use FAW, but I checked it and it's fine too. WB taken from a DSC white card or Vortex Warm 1 or 2 goes green.

Change or just reset the file, re-white, everything is normal again.

Brian Mills March 1st, 2007 06:37 PM

I've used nothing BUT TC3 since I got my HD110 and I love it. I've never seen a green shade to it.

Stephen L. Noe March 1st, 2007 07:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brian Mills (Post 634323)
I've used nothing BUT TC3 since I got my HD110 and I love it. I've never seen a green shade to it.

You really should try some other scene files just to see what the camera is capable of.

keep shooting.

Mark Silva March 2nd, 2007 06:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by William Hohauser (Post 634203)
Never had a green cast with TC3 either. Sounds like a camera quirk.

Same here.

Joe Bowey March 3rd, 2007 10:14 AM

Paolo, Is truecolorv3 trademarked? and to give you credit for using it do you have a logo?
PS Thanks for all the hard work in creating truecolorv3.

Paolo Ciccone March 3rd, 2007 11:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Joe Bowey (Post 635209)
Paolo, Is truecolorv3 trademarked? and to give you credit for using it do you have a logo?
PS Thanks for all the hard work in creating truecolorv3.

Hey Joe, good questions :). TrueColor is copyright Paolo Ciccone 2006-2007, it's not trademarked. If you want to give me credit it would be nice to add something like:

Camera Color Calibration: TrueColor (c) Paolo Ciccone

Thanks!

Saul Martinez March 5th, 2007 07:08 PM

How can I get the Polo's TCv3?

How can I get the Paolo's Trucolor V3?
Thanks.