DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/jvc-gy-hd-series-camera-systems/)
-   -   The Best Possible Settings (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/jvc-gy-hd-series-camera-systems/88018-best-possible-settings.html)

Mike Marriage March 3rd, 2007 06:49 AM

The Best Possible Settings

I've looked at some of the other settings posted around but haven't found any I like as much as my own. I produced them through using the camera and reacting to what I see. I would like to know if people agree with me. To me, this produces the most realistic pleasing picture:

Master Black: Normal
Detail: Depends on HD or SD.
Black: Normal
White Clip: 100% for simple video work, 108% if doing more post work on footage
Knee: Manual 85%
ADV PROCESS:
Cinelike: Off
COLOUR MATRIX: Standard:
R Gain -2
R Rot 1
G Gain -2
G Rot Norm
B Gain Norm
B Rot Min
Gamma: Cinelike
Level: Normal
Colour Gain: 3
White Paints R&B: Normal

Steve Benner March 3rd, 2007 07:36 AM

Hey, I will try out your settings this week and see how they compare to Paolo's.

Mike Marriage March 3rd, 2007 08:07 AM

Thanks Steve,

I'd be interested to see if you agree. I did a direct comparison to Paolo's and I preferred mine.

Ben Lynn March 3rd, 2007 10:06 AM

This is a very touchy subject because there's no definitive right or wrong. Image preference is highly subjective and depends on each person. What one person likes, another won't. So honestly there is no "perfect" setting for a camera. It depends on the look you want and the content.

What are you shooting with these settings?

Ben

Steve Benner March 3rd, 2007 11:19 AM

That's very true. But if you want the most "Accurate" picture, then certain settings are better than others.

Mike Marriage March 3rd, 2007 11:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ben Lynn (Post 635206)
What are you shooting with these settings?

All sorts, daylight, tungsten, mixed. I have tweaked whenever I see an issue under any conditions. This is what I have come up with.

My work is mainly corporate, so is a lot of run and gun and very varied.

This is my best "General Use" setting.

In response to the subjectivity, that's exactly why I posted it. Some people may like to try it on their camera. If they don't like the look, I don't mind. I'd just be interested to see what people say.

Mike

Ben Lynn March 3rd, 2007 03:59 PM

I agree Mike. If I had my camera with my right now I'd run the settings right into it. But alas, I don't so I'll have to test it latter.

I'm not saying the set up won't work great at all, they look really good. But even you have said that it's the best general setting and that you tweak it. I'm anxious to try it and see what it produces.

In my opinion if a particular setting works for at least 85% of the work you do, then that's the setting to go with. There's always times you have to tweak but that's expected. I'll give the settings a go when I can. Thanks.

Ben

Mike Marriage March 3rd, 2007 06:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ben Lynn (Post 635373)
I'll give the settings a go when I can. Thanks.

I'm be interested to hear what you think.

Tyson Perkins March 11th, 2007 06:13 AM

anyone tried it?

Drew Curran March 12th, 2007 03:41 AM

Mike

Can you upload some stills using these settings?

Andrew

Mike Marriage March 13th, 2007 02:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Drew Curran (Post 640133)
Can you upload some stills using these settings?

I could email you, but you really need a side-by-side to compare them. Best to dial them into a camera and flick between settings.

Anyone tried the settings yet?

Mike

Tyson Perkins March 13th, 2007 04:23 PM

I have on the HD200 - not much difference bettween the two i must say