DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/jvc-gy-hd-series-camera-systems/)
-   -   capture settings for HDV SD60P. please help (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/jvc-gy-hd-series-camera-systems/88632-capture-settings-hdv-sd60p-please-help.html)

Simon Reilly March 10th, 2007 02:21 PM

capture settings for HDV SD60P. please help

Hello
I am having great trouble capturing HDV SD60P,no matter what settings I try I end up with a clip that plays ok in the viewer, well the arrow does that black shuddering thing. in FCP , but once dropped into the timeline , either goes brilliantly green, or black.
I have read on this forum that to use Apple Intermediate capture codex, but this has the same effect.
I have captured HDV 720p24 , with no problems , but am never happy with the judder in any quick movements.
I am shooting small mice running around , who are white and way too fast.
I am using FCP 5.1.4 on a G5 intel dual Core Mac OS 10.4.8
shooting on JVC HD 100 using HDV SD 60P, the A model .
Thanks in advance

sr

Tim Dashwood March 10th, 2007 02:51 PM

If you edit any clip into a timeline and it requires any form of rendering (realtime or not) it just means that your timeline isn't configured the same as your source clip.

Let's say you did use AIC to convert your 480P60 (aka HDV-SD60P) m2t clips to QT, and you left the frame rate at 59.94.

That means that your specs will be something like:

Frame rate: 59.94 fps
Dimensions: 720x480
Pixel Aspect: NTSC DV
Anamorphic: YES
Codec: Apple Intermediate Codec

In FCP, just create a new timeline/sequence and then go into "Sequence settings" and make sure that your settings match.

You will also want to make sure that you checkmark the anamorphic column in the bin for your source clips.

NOTE: Only 16x9 SD clips are anamorphic. 1280x720 (720P) clips use square pixels and ARE NOT anamorphically squeezed.

Simon Reilly March 10th, 2007 03:04 PM

Thanks Tim
Strange thing is FCP is telling me the clips I just captured i.e HDV SD60p has a frame size of 853 x 480 ?
I will try capturing again

sr

Simon Reilly March 10th, 2007 03:40 PM

No Luck here

I am still getting the same results, Green screen.
So just to recap , I am using the HDV SD60p setting on my JVC HD 100.
So it is being captured as HDV signal, not SD.
This Is where I think the problem is.I can capture this but FCP will not let me drop it into a time line,.
I can open the captured file and play this as an independant Quicktime file.
But everytime I try and play it in the time line it does the bright green thing.
my settings match in the timeline and clip settings.
I even tried to send to compressor (as a test ) and convert to DV , this also played fine , but again not in the timeline.
I am weiry now and thnik I will have to shoot on HDV 24p after all.
I appreciate any suggestions
sr

Tim Dashwood March 10th, 2007 04:06 PM

How are you actually capturing?

I assumed you were using DVHSCap or HDVxDV to capture m2t files, and then converting them with MPEGstreamclip.

As far as I know, FCP simply doesn't understand the HDV 480P60 format to capture it. I think it might be able to recognize the stream with the built-in AIC capture utility, but I doubt it can scale it properly.

I've always captured as m2t first, and then converted to AIC (or uncompressed) using Mpegstreamcip.
I have a mini-tutorial here that may help. http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showthread.php?t=83228
Just skip the bit about Cinema Tools if you don't want slow-motion.

Simon Reilly March 10th, 2007 04:15 PM

Large donkey eyes are protruding

Thanks Tim

I guess I over estimated the powers of FCP. yes I was actually trying to capture
using FCP, tis funny that I managed to get a quicktime file, that plays , but not in FCP.
Tim Sorry for wasting your time, I shall look at the link
thanks again

Tim Dashwood March 10th, 2007 04:24 PM

No worries...It's my fault for making an assumption. What's that great Samuel L. Jackson line from "The Long Kiss Goodnight" ?